You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hard Gel Help Please
Hi,
I'd like to begin doing hard gel so I am working on my own at the moment. I did my set but it's too thin. Can I just go over it again without filing? Also, I didn't get a good apex. Is there a secret to that? Thank you for your help.

~tee
NY Licensed Nail + Waxing Tech
Owner/Developer Suite Tee
http://www.Facebook.com/TashawnaH
Instagram: @SuiteTee
(12-04-2013, 08:11 PM)Tashawna Wrote: Hi,
I'd like to begin doing hard gel so I am working on my own at the moment. I did my set but it's too thin. Can I just go over it again without filing? Also, I didn't get a good apex. Is there a secret to that? Thank you for your help.

~tee

Hello Smile If you want to add gel, you're going to need to rough the nails up with a file first. Generally, gel only sticks to a roughed up surface or dispersion layer.

One trick for creating an apex with gel is to turn the finger upside down after you apply your builder layer just for a few seconds. This causes the gel to collect at the apex area and not flow in to the sidewall area. It also helps if you apply the gel is a 'log' down the center of the nail and pull it out to the sides from this 'resevoir' of gel you have.

Hope this makes sense Heart
Tashawana- we should get together- I think I apply TOO THICK!! LOL!
I feel like my nails aren't as natura looking as they should be! I wish I could post pics here to get some feedback or help.

What product are you using?

I'm currently liking 3 different brands-- Light Elegance- I like the Extreme & One Step- works really nice! Masterworks- again works nicely and Amy's techniques are a little different but the gel is easy to use. And Akzentz Natural- self levels OK and doesn't run all over-- each brand is a little different in their own way & each have amazing color products etc.....And each company has extremely HELPFUL people- but I feel like I have to just stick with 1 line & perfect it-- I think that's one if my issues..... I've got a gel fill Appt tomorrow @ 2 - hoping it goes smoothly! My other issue is NOT enough clients to work with Hard Gels on - to perfect the skill!!!! After tomorrow I might not have a hard gel client until maybe Friday-Saturday- or Monday?????? Ugh!
(12-04-2013, 10:04 PM)jb100680 Wrote:
(12-04-2013, 08:11 PM)Tashawna Wrote: Hi,

~tee

Hello Smile If you want to add gel, you're going to need to rough the nails up with a file first. Generally, gel only sticks to a roughed up surface or dispersion layer.

One trick for creating an apex with gel is to turn the finger upside down after you apply your builder layer just for a few seconds. This causes the gel to collect at the apex area and not flow in to the sidewall area. It also helps if you apply the gel is a 'log' down the center of the nail and pull it out to the sides from this 'resevoir' of gel you have.

Hope this makes sense Heart

Thank you. This certainly does. do you do a little cure per finger or two to maintain the apex as you go along?
(12-04-2013, 10:32 PM)[email protected] Wrote: Tashawana- we should get together- I think I apply TOO THICK!! LOL!
I feel like my nails aren't as natura looking as they should be! I wish I could post pics here to get some feedback or help.

What product are you using?

I'm currently liking 3 different brands-- Light Elegance- I like the Extreme & One Step- works really nice! Masterworks- again works nicely and Amy's techniques are a little different but the gel is easy to use. And Akzentz Natural- self levels OK and doesn't run all over-- each brand is a little different in their own way & each have amazing color products etc.....And each company has extremely HELPFUL people- but I feel like I have to just stick with 1 line & perfect it-- I think that's one if my issues..... I've got a gel fill Appt tomorrow @ 2 - hoping it goes smoothly! My other issue is NOT enough clients to work with Hard Gels on - to perfect the skill!!!! After tomorrow I might not have a hard gel client until maybe Friday-Saturday- or Monday?????? Ugh!

LOL. I received samples from a few companies so I can get around to testing all of them out. I don't work in a salon so I couldn't afford to buy more products.The gel I just used was from Deenterprises. I generally only do natural nails but I wear enhancements and on occassion I do get asked if I do them. I figured I need to stop short changing myself and maybe if I get good at my own, more people will inquire about the service.I don't know how to post pics but I have a couple on my instagram. My IG is @suitetee. its the set with the galaxy nails. Also, FYI, I'm transitioning from acrylic.
Hey Tee!

What brand hard gel are you using? Some are easier to use than others. I also tend to go a little thinner so it doesn't look super thick when I add gel polish on top.
----
Shirley
Scotch Tape & Rhinestones
NYC Based Nail Artist
(12-04-2013, 11:29 PM)scotchtapeandrhinestones Wrote: Hey Tee!

What brand hard gel are you using? Some are easier to use than others. I also tend to go a little thinner so it doesn't look super thick when I add gel polish on top.

Hey Shirley! I figured I'd just chew your ear off when you're seatbelted in on the plane with nowhere to run.lol
I just got a bunch of samples from companies. I did this fill with Deenterprises product.
(12-04-2013, 11:21 PM)Tashawna Wrote: Hope this makes sense Heart

Thank you. This certainly does. do you do a little cure per finger or two to maintain the apex as you go along?

Yes. On a client, I do one finger at a time and rotate each hand. But working on yourself, I would flash cure each finger for at least 30 seconds. Heart
Lol I was going to offer anyway! I was actually going to bring my stuff with me to do nails!

I haven't tried that product. I would suggest CND Brisa Lite which isn't hard gel but has similar strength. That way if you mess up, you could always soak off
----
Shirley
Scotch Tape & Rhinestones
NYC Based Nail Artist
(12-04-2013, 11:37 PM)jb100680 Wrote:
(12-04-2013, 11:21 PM)Tashawna Wrote: Hope this makes sense Heart

Yes. On a client, I do one finger at a time and rotate each hand. But working on yourself, I would flash cure each finger for at least 30 seconds. Heart

Thanks!
(12-04-2013, 11:39 PM)scotchtapeandrhinestones Wrote: Lol I was going to offer anyway! I was actually going to bring my stuff with me to do nails!

I haven't tried that product. I would suggest CND Brisa Lite which isn't hard gel but has similar strength. That way if you mess up, you could always soak off

I was thinking about Brisa, I was concerned though about the strength of it.
I followed u on Instagram-- I still can't figure how to post a picture here- if I could I'd get more help I think! I also s
Follow a page on FB called Nails-please critique my work I haven't posted yet- I will be!
you should check out young nails gel I find it super easy to work with. but even if you don't try their gel you should watch their videos they give great info on how to work with gel.
"I belive in karma...so i'm not worried."