You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opi gel help please
Runny opi gel made me can't polish the colors even and they are shrinkage at the tips. When I apply the topcoat, it takes off some of the dark colors ... Please help ... I did all as they recommend but still it doesn't work. Please help ... Much appreciation
Try flash curing OPI isn't easy- work left right left right - flashing for a few seconds.... then fully cure- keep layers almost see through & streaky- 2nd coat will cover & if needed a third coat- but THIN- cap each layer edged too. Check your bulbs- maybe they are old?
Good luck - I am trying to get away from OPI - but salon invested in it.....
Thank you so much for your help. Sometimes the colors bleed to the cuticles because opi gel is just runny like the water. Yes I try to make it thin and no matter how much I try, sometimes the color doesn't look even at all. What does it mean when the topcoat takes off some of the colors please ? ... I feel so bad. Thanks again
(11-13-2013, 01:17 PM)Sta Wrote: Thank you so much for your help. Sometimes the colors bleed to the cuticles because opi gel is just runny like the water. Yes I try to make it thin and no matter how much I try, sometimes the color doesn't look even at all. What does it mean when the topcoat takes off some of the colors please ? ... I feel so bad. Thanks again

Lets start with one thing at a time.
Are you curing it with and LED lamp or a UV lamp? I was using an off brand UV lamp and it was not curing properly at all. I switched to the OPI LED lamp and all of curing problems went away. UV lamp curing is a lot longer with the OPI Gelcolor. 1 min for base, 2 mins for EACH coat of color and 3 mins for top, minimum. Even those times may need to be adjusted based on the lamp.
We use led lamp, and they just bought a new led lamp with 6 new colors and I'm having problems with those new colors. I even let those colors cured for 2 minutes under the new led lamp. Still doesn't work and they don't look shiny as they should at all. Thank you
We just did a class with an OPI trainer at my salon because we've been having issues. The number one thing she said is the main cause of all problems with OPI is not shaking the color enough. I mean REALLY shaking it - for a full minute, upside down. Dark colors have a lot of pigment that settles to the bottom and that is why it feels runny and then and the color shrinks. It sounds obvious, but you will notice a huge difference if you really truly shake for a full 60 seconds!
(11-13-2013, 08:10 PM)plumgirl Wrote: We just did a class with an OPI trainer at my salon because we've been having issues. The number one thing she said is the main cause of all problems with OPI is not shaking the color enough. I mean REALLY shaking it - for a full minute, upside down. Dark colors have a lot of pigment that settles to the bottom and that is why it feels runny and think and the color shrinks. It sounds obvious, but you will notice a huge difference if you really truly shake for a full 60 seconds!

This is very true. I even go as far as actually using the OPI metal stir stick for the old Axxium pot colors(its the only stir stick that I have found that will fit into the bottle)into the bottle to stir it first then shake. It makes a HUGE difference. If you dont have a stir stick, use a plastic cuticle pusher to stir would be an option. When the gel if fully shaken and/or stirred(like a martini Wink )you shouldnt have the running into the cuticle and shrinking of the edges. Since you are using the OPI LED lamp, that rules that out Smile Also, check their hand position. If the client has their hand in the lamp at a wonky angle, it wont cure correctly. It needs to be straight in, with fingers resting comfortably apart. If there is a wonky angle, it can create a shadow, which equals uneven curing. I have noticed on the darker colors and reds that some of the inhibition layer will tint the topcoat, but never completely take the color off. I just wipe the topcoat brush on a lint free towel to remove the color.

Hope this helps. Smile Best of luck and keep us posted!
Thanks!!
You all are so kind. I'll post the result as soon as I have any clients come for opi gel. Thanks so much again
As much as I LOVE all the OPI colors, and so far have a love hate relationship with the Gelcolors, shaking them A LOT seems to help, and if it is any consolation, I have had them peel right off my acrylic clients. I use Gelish, Artistic Color Gloss, and IBD, as well as a few others ,and OPI seems to be the fussiest of all. On natural nails, even though they don't say to do so, try dry brushing before applying your color coats, and on acrylic nails, if you finish them with gel polish, when using OPI, apply a foundation, or base coat. This has helped me mostly on acrylic clients, but natural nail clients, it is hit or miss, depending on the color. My other brands perform well right out of the bottle without any fuss like OPI...I love all the OPI colors though, as I said, it is a love hate relationship...hth...Smile
Thanks all ... Big hug ^_^ problem solved. Have a wonderful weekend and happy holidays Wink
I was having The Same problems. I Also Use Gelish Base & Top Coat When Using OPI gels
(11-16-2013, 09:40 PM)Sta Wrote: Thanks all ... Big hug ^_^ problem solved. Have a wonderful weekend and happy holidays Wink

Yay!!!!! Smile