You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What are your biggest challenges as a Nail Tech?
What are your biggest challenges right now as a nail tech?

Anything really....Is it learning, shaving off time of service, keeping up with new nail products, education, training and mentoring, business related?

The clients...heehee
(10-25-2013, 04:04 PM)KsNails Wrote: The clients...heehee

They say business would be easy if it weren't for People! hahaha.

Time of SVC, education & Trainings - which go hand in hand & getting clients away from Cheap Asian salons (sorry in NJ its a real problem!!)
Biggest challenge for me, people choose cheap ugly nails that can't last barely a week, over appropriately priced, beautiful quality nails that last 4 weeks or a lot longer w/o any sign of wear ,other than regrowth....
Greetings! I wanted to share an employment opportunity with a NEW Upscale Nail boutique called Shabby2Chic Nail & Wax Boutique.... If you, family, and/or friends are looking for a flexible, excellent, and classy work environment in the Davie, FL area.... Please email your resume to [email protected] Thank you for your time
Problems here with people is CHEAP nails - they are NOT ugly - they do last FOREVER -- however they aren't clean, they barely sterilize, they never wash hands, they work on 2 ppl @ a time, no appts, work FAST, Rough on clients, open 7 days a week from 9am-9pm, etc...
I see imperfections here & there- but usually the nails look good- I follow quite a few local nail salons on Facebook/ Instagram to see what they are doing.
I've called around to local (Asian honestly) salons to see what they charge out of curiosity- full set gel nails anywhere from $29-$40 **gel polish add $10. Who knows what crazy product is in these unmarked jars - but lasts FOREVER! Had a client in asking for a fill -- she was 5 weeks out & there was nothing wrong with her nails except new growth! Of course when doing the fill I showed her the rings of fire I could see.... but our fill price starts @ $28 & she said she only pays $30 & they do gel Polish on top!
Can you compete?
How do you compete?
Cleaning up crappy cuticles.
(10-27-2013, 12:36 AM)[email protected] Wrote: Problems here with people is CHEAP nails - they are NOT ugly - they do last FOREVER -- however they aren't clean, they barely sterilize, they never wash hands, they work on 2 ppl @ a time, no appts, work FAST, Rough on clients, open 7 days a week from 9am-9pm, etc...
I see imperfections here & there- but usually the nails look good- I follow quite a few local nail salons on Facebook/ Instagram to see what they are doing.
I've called around to local (Asian honestly) salons to see what they charge out of curiosity- full set gel nails anywhere from $29-$40 **gel polish add $10. Who knows what crazy product is in these unmarked jars - but lasts FOREVER! Had a client in asking for a fill -- she was 5 weeks out & there was nothing wrong with her nails except new growth! Of course when doing the fill I showed her the rings of fire I could see.... but our fill price starts @ $28 & she said she only pays $30 & they do gel Polish on top!
Can you compete?
How do you compete?

This is the same problem I have. I am slowly educating these people but some do not want to hear anything. I have seen so many rings of fire, enhancements put over INFECTED nails, and damage from their "removal" (i.e ripping the enhancement off with a nail tip ran under the entire enhancement..... Holy ouch!) Why people need to feel loyal to these establishments but have various complaints baffle me?

(10-27-2013, 08:34 AM)PKA357 Wrote:
(10-27-2013, 12:36 AM)[email protected] Wrote: Problems here with people is CHEAP nails - they are NOT ugly - they do last FOREVER -- however they aren't clean, they barely sterilize, they never wash hands, they work on 2 ppl @ a time, no appts, work FAST, Rough on clients, open 7 days a week from 9am-9pm, etc...
Can you compete?
How do you compete?

This is the same problem I have. I am slowly educating these people but some do not want to hear anything. I have seen so many rings of fire, enhancements put over INFECTED nails, and damage from their "removal" (i.e ripping the enhancement off with a nail tip ran under the entire enhancement..... Holy ouch!) Why people need to feel loyal to these establishments but have various complaints baffle me?

imo, they put up with it for money and convenience. It's all fun and games until someone gets an infection or a nail is literally pulled off during a removal, (yes, it happened to a new client of mine, HER nail, not the enhancement).
My clientel is made up of almost completely of people who've been to the faster cheaper places and have come to me because I don't do things that way. The bad news is there's at least 2 generations of people who don't know any better, who think those are the only places left to go to.
As was stated, most of the time, the nails are good, generally just p/w, fast and cheap. To compete, you have to offer something they don't, something the EDUCATED client wants, cleanliness, conversation, appointments, etc.
I don't compete with any other salon or nail tech because I'm NOT like any other salon or nail tech.

-I take appointments because the time I have for you is set aside JUST for you.

-I sanitize and disinfect exceeding our state board requirements and I tell you WHY I do it.

-I do custom nail designs so when you walk down the street you won't see yourself coming and going.

-I go to as many education classes as I can so I'm up on all the trendy and unique styles.

-The customer service in my salon is the best you will find in my town or anywhere!

-I have consistent pricing as opposed to "a la carte". You know what you'll be paying even before you're finished.

Somebody else may try to run their business like I do but they can't, because I'm me and they are them. The people who come to me are the ones who want what I offer.

As soon as I began to believe that of myself and sold myself that way, is when I began to have a full schedule.

Don't compare yourself to the places that don't do what you do. Those are not the people who will come to you! Find your style, make yourself the best at it than anyone else and then market yourself to the people who appreciate your expertise.
Thanks- I believe what you all have said-- I understand you can't compete- and YES everyone loves THESE salons with all the crazy nail art & flashy nails - However have one of them SHOVE A nail tip between the enhancement & natural nails & they go out running! I spent 6 years going to Asian salons- at first they rope you in & treat you nice & then you are a number.
People here LOVE the walk in no appointment- its what they say is so accommodating... "I don't know what I'll be doing at 10am 2 weeks from today". Is what we hear often. They want in & out in 45-55 minutes with shiny sparkly Gel nails that stay on perfect for a month. And horribly THESE nails DO stay on....I've had them on that long previously....frustrating! And the girls 16-35 are their biggest clients it seems. The other issue I hear "I didn't know where else to go". Just thinking about it.... THANK YOU for your response
This is a very interesting topic! As others have mentioned, my biggest challenge is the low expectation the general public has for nail services and the ignorance to what good nails should look like. I think it's important to focus on your own skills and making sure you provide the best service possible, if you want to be worth a higher price.

Another thing, the public is so confused about different nail products (gel vs gel polish vs acrylic). I wish they understood how closely the 3 are related and just let me pick the best one. But if someone has had a bad experience with one, they blame that type of service rather than the technician. It all comes back to low standards.

As for the walk-in thing. One thing they don't like about that is waiting their turn. I try to sell them on the fact that appointments take up less of their own time. And it gets them in a routine so they don't experience any service breakdown. I do think as a culture we're getting away from the standing appt mindset. I have some clients who wouldn't go a day more than 2 weeks and I have a lot of people who just get in touch with me the week they want in (usually 3 or 4).
Finding time to do nail art is my biggest frustration! My day is booked solid with one standing appointment after another. I've taken so many art classes and want to do art on my clients but can't seem to find the extra time.
Robin Stopper Renner
Nails by Robin/R.S.Innovations, LLC.
Mount Dora, Florida
http://www.wrist-assist.com
[email protected]
Interesting topic! I have loyal clients who have been coming to me for years for sculptured nails. These same ladies go to th e asian salons for pedicures! not me. WHY? the pricing. They would rather pay 20 bucks for a fast pedi than 40.oo for the pedi I give. They will not go for there nails just there feet. I give a good pedi, hot towels etc. Try and figure that out!
This IS a great topic for discussion:

After 21 years in the business, I truly find my biggest challenge on a regular basis is ME. I'm set in my ways, I've been there/done that, I've seen trends come, go, and come again. I'm complacent, and lazy, and fed up with the BS.

I really do go to trade shows and continuing education, only to feel that I've wasted money-- and most preciously, my time-- because it's like repeating the 3rd grade: it's far far below where I am now. Yeah, there's always a little thing to pick up or re-discover here and there, but rarely something that makes me feel like it was worth scheduling the time off for the travel required to re-discover it.

By far, my biggest challenge is ME. But, ME is a challenge I understand and I can usually beat myself at those wrestling matches. Big Grin

I struggle with the differences in a new generation of clientelle and professionals, who grew up with an entirely different experience with the professional industry.

Clients don't understand that when they make an appointment that it's a RESERVATION. That I'm actually expecting them, counting on them, to show up. To show up on time, and to follow through with the service they originally reserved. Not book a full set that schedules 2 hours and promises to put $85 in my bank account, only to come in and declare they just want to do a mani which take an hour and pays me $35. Angry

And as much as I love the "more bling please" trend, a significant portion of the demographic that's into it, tends to get a full set of way over-the-top nails that are fun to do and cost a mint-- and then I don't see that client for 6 months because these clients like to do it up big once in awhile, but aren't regular clients who wouldn't be caught dead without their nails done.

*sigh*

And trying to choose which demographic to market to. There are so many trending styles right now and I love doing them all. But marketing to every demographic means that I'm neither a high-end, classical salon for a wealthy, professional clientelle; nor am I a rock-n-rollin, party atmosphere neighborhood bling bar.

It's nice that I am a solo tech in a private studio, so the mood can swing from one extreme to the other from client to client-- but I do tend to have a bit of a salon identity crisis, which makes marketing a challenge.

Maggie Franklin: Art of Nailz, Visalia CA
http://blogs.nailsmag.com/maggie
http://www.artofnailz.biz
Maggie- Wow - although I'm newer - I hear everything your saying!
(10-25-2013, 04:04 PM)KsNails Wrote: The clients...heehee

I agree with this
As a new nail tech I find it hard to find time to practice. My friends are busy moms and hey, it's NYC...everyone is busy. lol. I would like to practice more nail art. I'd also love to do hard gel. It's hard though because I work and am a mother. I barely have time to breathe.
NY Licensed Nail + Waxing Tech
Owner/Developer Suite Tee
http://www.Facebook.com/TashawnaH
Instagram: @SuiteTee
Great thread! No shows or last minute cancellations, I know we are supposed to be backed up with terms and conditions, but when it's a regular client it's difficult.
Like Onykophile says they book in for one thing , you mark out the time, they are confused because we offer so many services and like what I have said before what's a French many in your salon may be a French paint, in other salons it's a full manicure. I am baffled myself !! But it can be very stressful at times.
Oh and also when they bring CHILDREN !!!!!!!!!!!
With a new salon, the hardest thing to do is telling people no. We have people who come in for all kinds of random things that we don't have as a regular offering and we just find our a la carte list growing and growing. We had a lady who came in and just wanted her toe nail polish taken off, for instance. How random is that? Or the lady who just wanted her nails filed - no polish, no buff, no cuticle work, just shaping. What do you charge for it? Do you just turn them away or do it for free or charge $1/minute or what? I have just been floored by the random odd requests we've gotten.
Biggest challenges I face:
  • clients expecting a low price for a top notch service;
  • feeling that I've wasted my time attending expos as I find it hard to find value in what is presented there anymore;
  • lack of industry cohesion;
  • bitchiness amongst nail techs can be horrendous;
  • the massive markup on materials here (Australia) compared to those overseas (US, Europe) - it's ridiculous!

Oh and one big beef which I forgot to mention - lol - clients glued to their smartphones doing their Facebook or whatever during the service. Rude!
Two issues I have is:

1. getting older - I am not moving as fast as I used to, taking me longer to do full sets and fills. Confused

2. new clients doing no shows - even when I ask them if they change their mind and want to go somewhere else to at least call me to cancel, they still won't even do that. Total disrespect and downright laziness!
Aifa, I have you a thumbs up, but stupidly pressed thumbs down and it won't Let me correct , well- thumbs up Twice to you!xx
Finding decent nail technicians for our snowbirds that go to Phoenix and Palm Springs for the winter. I have posted here many times asking who does gel nails in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Palm Springs or Palm desert - and no replies.

Any gel techs that wants good clients for the winter, post your information so I can pass it on.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 26
Views: 29,872
11-19-2014, 03:38 PM
Last PostDannieLynne