You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Shellac Color Wrinkling
I just purchased the new Shellac color - Burnt Romance - which has no glitter or shimmer to it, and it has been wrinkling horribly.

I use the entire Shellac system (base and top coat), the only exception is I use UV lamps from Light Elegance instead of a CND lamp (with new bulbs, of course). I have a paint shaker to mix the polish well before application. I apply thin, thin, thin. I am a perfectionist at polishing. I have been doing gel polish like crazy since it first came out and I am well versed in quite a few systems, but CND Shellac creme colors with no sparkle baffle me as to why I can't stop them from wrinkling.

I really want to like Shellac and offer the entire line of color, but I cringe everytime someone chooses one of these shades.

Any suggestions as to why this happens? I searched "wrinkling" and nothing helpful came up...

I have the same problem with the same color. No other color in CND line wrinkles except for cream puff occasionally. I did give the color one last try and it wrinkled just a little on one finger. I applied it so think you could barely see it....i did 3 coats like this and it worked for the exception of the one finger. I dont have to have to put on 3 coats everytime i use this color....too time consuming. Hopefully someone can answer as to why this color is wrinkling.
Tanya

~The true measure of a person is how they treat someone who can do them absolutely no good~
It really comes down to applying it thin. The dark colors especially and colors like cream puff fool you into thinking you did it thin enough. You're first coat should still be very streaky and still kind of transparent. Your second coat should also be thin and you will see that coverage is with this coat. You should only ever need 2 coats. Try applying these trouble colors even thinner than you normally do. I know you are good at these systems and are well versed but there are thousands of nail techs that apply these colors without these issues so it has to be your application of these colors in particular.

Hth
My application was as thin as it gets and it was horrible, almost as if it didnt cure so I sent it back. Not impressed with this collection at all! Almost every bottle has only half full as well.
(10-01-2013, 10:33 AM)jennie Wrote: My application was as thin as it gets and it was horrible, almost as if it didnt cure so I sent it back. Not impressed with this collection at all! Almost every bottle has only half full as well.

Since you mentioned cure, I just wanted to make sure, were you using either the cnd lamp or the older cnd brisa lamp to cure shellac? Shellac was designed to be used as a system so each component works together to give you the best result.
Lol, yes I use the end lamp and the bulbs are only a month old. I've talked several people about this and more and more colors are getting like this.
(10-01-2013, 11:23 AM)jennie Wrote: Lol, yes I use the end lamp and the bulbs are only a month old. I've talked several people about this and more and more colors are getting like this.

There was a thread on another board about people complaining that shellac seemed to be getting thinner. People were using 3 coats of colors they always used 2 coats of (like tropix for example). The moderator of the board spoke with Dr. Dave Valia, the VP of Research and Development. This is what was posted:

"I have been on the phone with Dr Dave Valia for the last 40 minutes. It took him 5 of those 40minutes to alleviate any worry on 'thinning'!!

Firstly there is no QC problem and no changes other than the 'settling' agent. If anyone feels it is thinner he has assured me it can be due to shipping and all it needs is a really good shake - which is what we should be doing anyway.

He also suggested grabbing an 'orangewood' stick and popping it thru the top of the bottle to agitate the colour further if needs be. Hope this helps!"

I know this relates more to the OP question, but perhaps this new settling agent could also be causing the problems you spoke of. A vigorous shake for at least 30 seconds before use might be able to solve both problems.

If you feel as if your bottles are arriving half full, I would definitely have contacted CND about that and I'm sure they would have been happy to help you with your concerns as no tech should have to deal with half full bottles and they have excellent customer service.
I saw a posting on FB about this color being a Pain in the A$$... and I have to agree. I bought the entire collection and have had no problems with any shellac color before... and Burnt Romance is giving me trouble. My rep said I could return it.... ugh... Good Luck.
Terri Lancaster
Nails By Design
253-350-2591

SPREAD VICIOUS GLEE!
(10-06-2013, 02:05 AM)Gr8Nailz Wrote: I saw a posting on FB about this color being a Pain in the A$$... and I have to agree. I bought the entire collection and have had no problems with any shellac color before... and Burnt Romance is giving me trouble. My rep said I could return it.... ugh... Good Luck.

I don't want to have to work this hard to get a gel polish color to work for me. I spoke with Light Elegance and they said that there is no reason why I can't use their quality UV lamps with the Shellac brand of polish problem free.

I have decided to not purchase anymore Shellac colors without a sparkle in them - as I find a few are problematic. There are so many, many polishes available to choose from. My clients don't care what company a gel polish comes from, just the resulting color. If I am happy with the quality of the company and I have it on hand, my clients trust my judgement and pick a color, usually not by brand.

It's too bad as I like the Shellac brand for certain reasons, but I don't like being nervous when someone chooses a color.
I applied it so think you could barely see it....i did 3 coats like this and it worked for the exception of the one finger. I dont
Smile PlzZZzzz…(Usman Malik)…!!!
Been using the color here for a month or so. Haven't had any problems with it. In order to get an even carmel color I have had to use it very thinly. And it requires a light touch with the brush. If it does wrinkle a little bit, your Shellac top coat should cover it.
I haven't had any problems with any colors, even in the new collection.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 3
Views: 1,834
07-09-2015, 09:30 AM
Last Postsueefd
Replies: 22
Views: 22,067
03-23-2012, 01:46 PM