You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your favorite tip or trick??
Hello all! I thought it might be a great idea to find out what everyone's favorite tip or trick is that they use in the nail industry and why. It will make for a great "sticky post" and we all have an opportunity to possibly learn something new!

I'll go first... My favorite trick is to overapply the base coat. When I put it on, I make sure it gets on the eponychium and in between the lateral nail fold and the nail plate. (See photo below if you are not familiar with the terminology.) The reason I do this is because once it dries, it creates an invisible barrier that prevents tough colors like red and black from "bleeding" while you are polishing. Give it try! It works!! Big Grin

[Image: Cuticles+labels.jpg]
I use Blue Cross Cuticle remover as a callus treatment. I apply it to cut up sections of puppy pads then stick it to the bottom of clients' feet, then wrap in a towel for 5-7 min. Much cheaper than other callus treatments.
(09-15-2013, 11:07 AM)Donna in Huntsville, TX. Wrote: I use Blue Cross Cuticle remover as a callus treatment. I apply it to cut up sections of puppy pads then stick it to the bottom of clients' feet, then wrap in a towel for 5-7 min. Much cheaper than other callus treatments.

How are you getting the pads to stick?
(09-15-2013, 12:25 PM)Luvglitter Wrote:
(09-15-2013, 11:07 AM)Donna in Huntsville, TX. Wrote: I use Blue Cross Cuticle remover as a callus treatment. I apply it to cut up sections of puppy pads then stick it to the bottom of clients' feet, then wrap in a towel for 5-7 min. Much cheaper than other callus treatments.

How are you getting the pads to stick?

@Donna I've heard of this but never actually tried it. I'll have to give it a go. Thanks for sharing!!

@Luvglitter I think that because the pad is saturated in the Blue Cross, it sort of adheres to the foot and the towel keeps it in place.
Yes, that's right. I use a small squeeze bottle to apply the liquid to the pads. I'll also warm it a bit in really hot water, (kinda like warming a baby bottle), this is strictly for the client's comfort. I use pads about 4"x4" or so in size. Squeeze out enough on the pad to saturate an area about the size of the client's heal print. Do the same for the ball of the foot area. Wrap with a towel and let it sit 5-7 min. Remove the towel, remove the pads, wipe off the bottom of the foot and file. If you're using a pedi bit on an e file, it works better to run it in reverse so it doesn't throw the softened callus outward. Even in reverse, it's going to fly some but not nearly as bad as the other way!
(09-15-2013, 01:39 AM)cjames83 Wrote: Hello all! I thought it might be a great idea to find out what everyone's favorite tip or trick is that they use in the nail industry and why. It will make for a great "sticky post" and we all have an opportunity to possibly learn something new!

I'll go first... My favorite trick is to overapply the base coat. When I put it on, I make sure it gets on the eponychium and in between the lateral nail fold and the nail plate. (See photo below if you are not familiar with the terminology.) The reason I do this is because once it dries, it creates an invisible barrier that prevents tough colors like red and black from "bleeding" while you are polishing. Give it try! It works!! Big Grin

[Image: Cuticles+labels.jpg]

Afterwards, you use a what to remove the polish from their skin? A small brush?
Sorry to sound stupid, but you are holding the pads in place with your hand while wrapping their foot in a towel? Clarifying so I can give it a go. TY

Oooops, if not then the pads just stick in place like Cjames said?
I also use Blue Cross for a callous softener but I use make up pads I purchase from Sally's to put the liquid on. I put the wet pad on the heel and use a gallon plastic bag (I open up one of the corners to expose the toes) to put around the client's foot to hold the pads in place. Then I wrap the whole foot in a towel, leaving the toes exposed so I can do cuticle work, file, etc.

I leave the Blue Cross on for no more than 10 minutes while I work on the toes. When I'm done with them, I take off the towel, bag and the pad, wipe off the foot, then use an Angel Feet file to gently roll off the dead skin.

I use a sugar scrub on the foot and leg, then wipe off the whole thing with a wet hot towel. Repeat on the other foot.

It's amazing and takes off just the right amount of roughness!

I follow up with a nice massage with a good massage lotion, paying special attention to the heels or anywhere I've done filing.

People love it.
(09-16-2013, 09:52 AM)Luvglitter Wrote: Sorry to sound stupid, but you are holding the pads in place with your hand while wrapping their foot in a towel? Clarifying so I can give it a go. TY

The pads stick to the foot more or less. I pick up the foot, stick the pad to the heel, then set the foot back down on the towel. The pressure of the foot sitting on the towel will keep the pad in place. I press the other pad into place, holding there as I wrap the foot in the towel. I make a bootie out of the towel which hold the pads tight against their foot.
(09-16-2013, 10:33 AM)Donna in Huntsville, TX. Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 09:52 AM)Luvglitter Wrote: Sorry to sound stupid, but you are holding the pads in place with your hand while wrapping their foot in a towel? Clarifying so I can give it a go. TY

The pads stick to the foot more or less. I pick up the foot, stick the pad to the heel, then set the foot back down on the towel. The pressure of the foot sitting on the towel will keep the pad in place. I press the other pad into place, holding there as I wrap the foot in the towel. I make a bootie out of the towel which hold the pads tight against their foot.

Awwww, thank ya hun! Appreciate the help! Wink
I use Orly's Cutique as a stain remover on just about anything!
Putting a drop of polish thinner on your fingertip and smoothing it over to fix smudges.
With Vinylux at the salon, we do a quick foot soak, apply the callous softener, then apply tiny bits of cotton soaked in acetone on the nails. It stays on there while foot filing so that when you are done, the vinylux has absorbed the acetone and it's much easier to get off.
(09-17-2013, 12:44 AM)Melissa82 Wrote: With Vinylux at the salon, we do a quick foot soak, apply the callous softener, then apply tiny bits of cotton soaked in acetone on the nails. It stays on there while foot filing so that when you are done, the vinylux has absorbed the acetone and it's much easier to get off.

What is Vinylux?

I love all the neat tips! I currently use Callus Remover with a bag wrapped around but i definitely want to try & see how it compares to the Blue Cross.

@jimsjadab i usually put a little oil on my finger but i like your way better since sometimes i have to reapply the top coat.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, when I need to I use an eyeliner makeup brush dipped in acetone to remove any excess. I use CND Sticky as my base coat & in most cases you cannot see any of the over applied base like you would see with the top coat. When I apply it tho, im not messy where it gets all over the skin. It's just slightly over the area it should be. Hope that makes sense! :-).... When u wrap the towel around, is it a dry towel or wet towel?
(09-19-2013, 12:20 AM)cjames83 Wrote:
(09-17-2013, 12:44 AM)Melissa82 Wrote: With Vinylux at the salon, we do a quick foot soak, apply the callous softener, then apply tiny bits of cotton soaked in acetone on the nails. It stays on there while foot filing so that when you are done, the vinylux has absorbed the acetone and it's much easier to get off.

What is Vinylux?

I love all the neat tips! I currently use Callus Remover with a bag wrapped around but i definitely want to try & see how it compares to the Blue Cross.

@jimsjadab i usually put a little oil on my finger but i like your way better since sometimes i have to reapply the top coat.

[/quote]

Yes, when I need to I use an eyeliner makeup brush dipped in acetone to remove any excess. I use CND Sticky as my base coat & in most cases you cannot see any of the over applied base like you would see with the top coat. When I apply it tho, im not messy where it gets all over the skin. It's just slightly over the area it should be. Hope that makes sense! :-).... When u wrap the towel around, is it a dry towel or wet towel?
[/quote]

It's the towel I used to dry their foot with when it comes out of the bath. I tried doing the callus treatment on a dry foot but it sorta gums up on the bottom of the foot, so I found soaking them will preparing stuff for the service is just enough time to soften the skin so the treatment works well. I follow with a sugar scrub then back in the water.
I'm not sure what you mean as the polish is removed from the toe with a plastic backed pad, I don't get it on the skin.

[/quote]

It's the towel I used to dry their foot with when it comes out of the bath. I tried doing the callus treatment on a dry foot but it sorta gums up on the bottom of the foot, so I found soaking them will preparing stuff for the service is just enough time to soften the skin so the treatment works well. I follow with a sugar scrub then back in the water.
[/quote]

Thanks Donna!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 2,149
10-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Last Postyou'vegotnail!
Replies: 5