You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Trick for those who soak off gel polish
I found this on the internet. Instead of foil or remover pads use finger cots. Just place the acetone soaked cotton over the nail and roll on the cot. I wish I knew about this before I started filing off. Quick, easy, stays in place, and cheap if you buy in bulk. I may get some to keep around just in case someone is opposed to filing. The only problem is I think only the latex ones won't dissolve, you you'd have to make sure the client doesn't have an allergy.
where do you buy these?
(08-22-2013, 02:50 PM)hlaurette Wrote: where do you buy these?

This website has them at 1440 for $17

http://www.fingercots.net/general_purpos...r_cots.php

CVS or any drug store sells them in smaller quantities.
Doesn't the latex melt from the acetone?
(08-23-2013, 01:43 AM)Melissa82 Wrote: Doesn't the latex melt from the acetone?

I haven't tried it yet. I just stumbled across this technique online, but apparently it's working for people. I read somewhere the nitrile ones would dissolve.
That's a great idea - what about just using those little nail soakers (the pink ones) that are designed for putting acetone in them and then the fingers. Maybe they would work with the cotton method. I don't soak off gel polish, but I do own some of the lil dippers - I'm going now to look at them to see if they might work...
I just looked and I think they might work too - I would just put the rubber part around the finger first and then the cotton, then snap the little end plastic piece on. Just a thought as they are reusable and also block air.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
(08-24-2013, 10:58 PM)CandiceAE Wrote: That's a great idea - what about just using those little nail soakers (the pink ones) that are designed for putting acetone in them and then the fingers. Maybe they would work with the cotton method. I don't soak off gel polish, but I do own some of the lil dippers - I'm going now to look at them to see if they might work...
I just looked and I think they might work too - I would just put the rubber part around the finger first and then the cotton, then snap the little end plastic piece on. Just a thought as they are reusable and also block air.

The only thing about those soakers is that they are too tight and cut off circulation. At least the ones I bought do.
I use the finger cots to cover my index fingers when filing... protects the skin. The acetone eats right threw it - so it wouldn't work for removing gel polish. Good thought tho.
Terri Lancaster
Nails By Design
253-350-2591

SPREAD VICIOUS GLEE!
Hmm, when I used them I never had a problem with them being too tight. Could be a different brand.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
Well I tried it Monday night. I had acrylic on three of my fingers and gel on one finger I needed to get off. They did not tear/melt, and I had it on for like 30 min for the acrylic. It came off really clean I did not break the seal. They were cvs brand laytex. I tried to google which types of gloves won't melt and there seems to be no clear answer. I've had vinyl in the past and they melt in seconds. It would probably be best to request a sample before buying bulk quantities. The main reason while I switched to filing is because I would spend so much time putting on the foil and then afterward pushing off what ever was still on there. The cots stay in place better. I was also able to use my smart phone too. I think this can be good for soaking during a pedi. I would never do that before because I would feel like I was holding them hostage not being able to use their hands. I still like filing so but I may try to introduce this. I do like it for taking off my own nails better. I may also use this for removing acrylic; it is rare that I get a acrylic removal but I have been looking for an alternative to using a bowl.

I want to test it again for the gel polish at 10 min. I did not have that one on for the whole 30 min but It was at least 15-20. I want to see if it will come off like it did before in just 10 min.
The problem with latex is that it can cause an allergy, according to Doug Schoon, so I'm not sure how I would feel using acetone in correlation with the latex. I feel like it could make it worse.
I was wondering if they would be a sterilization issue. Can they be sanitized between clients?
Angela
Angel
Latex is a natural product people who have latex allergies are born that way, so they would know. When I was in esthetics school we learned the difference between allergies and sensitivities, for choosing a product line. Most allergies are from natural products and people are more likely to become sensitized to synthetic products. You can develop a sensitivity to acrylic but you would be allergic to strawberries, bee stings, peanuts... You wouldn't just eat strawberries one day after eating them your whole life and have an allergic reaction.

You would just throw them away after soaking off.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 2
Views: 2,088
04-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Last PostNailzOnLine
Replies: 2
Views: 2,956
03-19-2014, 07:51 AM