You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frustrated with Nail Polish and Nippers!! :(
Hi all.

I recently left nail school, abd I started working at an Asian salon. They aren't a chop shop though...they are extremely clean and attentive to detail.

They have trained me for 2 weeks almost everyday, but I still don't meet their manicure standards! Sad

I practice a lot at home, but I cannot do it like they want. They say the skill is there but my quality is not up to par.

The problems are :

- my nail polish application. I do nude colors unevenly.
-Nippers, I either nip "too much" (haven't cut anyone) or not enough.

Biggest frustration is that they are training another girl who didn't even go to cosmo school (they will train her while she goes) and according to them she paints much better nails! And she does!!!

Agggghhhh :, ( how can I get better at this?

I watch youtube videos, bought fake nails to paint and practice. .. agggh!

I live in a college town so I thought of advertising free manicures if the girls let me practice on them...

Sad I'm just really frustrated. Like...what kind of nail tech doesn't paint nails correctly?! ; (((

Any advice? ; ( any success stories??
IT JUST TAKES TIME AND PRACTICE. GO ONTO THIS SITE. ITS A TUTORIAL FOR CND POLISH BUT IT SHOWS AN UPCLOSE ON HOW TO POLISH NAILS WELL.
http://www.dailynails.com/nail-tutorials...ts-minutes
DON'T GIVE UP. PRACTICE ON AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN.
I totally understand- although not in an Asian salon- I'm with experienced techs & still feel that my polishing isn't as neat as the others- I push back cuticles & do a little nipping - I know my problem is I don't want to hurt anyone! I feel that some salons (Asians) nip live skin & clients are used to that-- I use cuticle remover/softener- but always wonder if I've gotten it ALL!! Then I started to do full sets of gel & fills NOW-- I have had lifting--yet I have hard gel on 3 friends with little issues-- I use a different brand of gel @ home vs. What the salon carries- but its the same steps..... VERY FRUSTRATED! I almost want to go work @ an Asian salon to learn their ways - they are fast & product stays on (of course who knows what that" product" is). But it stays!!! I'm in my 3rd shop since February-- first 2 were hair & nails & current one is strictly nails & all American- I've watched the other girls as well ** I think it just takes time??? I hope cause I'm feeling discouraged too at times!!
I worked in a asian shop until this past monday, They only wanted me there to do pedicures and not polish the toes because i polish on the skin sometimes and they were not trying to help me get better at the polish I got to polish the little kids aslong as it was not one of there friends
Monique_AL
(08-15-2013, 09:00 PM)[email protected] Wrote: I totally understand- although not in an Asian salon- I'm with experienced techs & still feel that my polishing isn't as neat as the others- I push back cuticles & do a little nipping - I know my problem is I don't want to hurt anyone! I feel that some salons (Asians) nip live skin & clients are used to that-- I use cuticle remover/softener- but always wonder if I've gotten it ALL!! Then I started to do full sets of gel & fills NOW-- I have had lifting--yet I have hard gel on 3 friends with little issues-- I use a different brand of gel @ home vs. What the salon carries- but its the same steps..... VERY FRUSTRATED! I almost want to go work @ an Asian salon to learn their ways - they are fast & product stays on (of course who knows what that" product" is). But it stays!!! I'm in my 3rd shop since February-- first 2 were hair & nails & current one is strictly nails & all American- I've watched the other girls as well ** I think it just takes time??? I hope cause I'm feeling discouraged too at times!!

My friend is an American and worked in a Vietnamese salon for a day, misunderstanding on amount of days she could work. I convinced her to do it. I said to learn all their tricks and where they buy from. They are so quick and most do very nice work. It just bothers me that the owner does not require a license. They just advertised again and the ad said that a License is a Big Plus.
A big plus- yikes!! Funny thing when I took my practical in June- 80% of the people testing were Asian- I was shocked- my school/ class had 6-10 Americans??? Where do they go to school??? I know a majority of my area goes to Asians- fast service *walk ins * and they do a good job (on the surface) killer nail art regardless if its air brushed or not - I'm currently trying to self learn air brush too!
I'm frustrated as well!
With nippers I only nip at the skin growing over the nail plate that doesn't want to come off easily with the pusher, hangnails, and extra skin on the sidewalls, but never the eponychium. Make sure you get a nice sharp pair that you like. I dropped a pair and they were no longer any good. Try to paint in just three strokes. Don't worry about perfecting it the first coat.
For polishing, are you using your pinky to brace your hand to keep it steady? I don't know if that makes sense. For everything I do, e-filing, applying gel, acrylic, or polish - I rest the tip of my pinky on something (usually my other hand where I am holding the clients' finger) and it helps keep me steady. Also, doing two thin coats is the best, the first coat might look streaky and "weak", but the second coat should fill it in. Polish and nipping techniques are not something that can really be taught with just words, it sounds like you need to see some good videos or do some one on one training.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
i work in a vietnamese salon and dont worry sweety. I did nails for 20 years and I took a few years off due to them barging in with cheaper prices. Now I work for them. No matter how good you do or how fast you do. It will never be good. The reason ? Your american and they say americans are no good. dont be surprised if they have you doiing alot of work such as cleaning and answering the phones and waiting on them.The only way your gonna get better if your not already . which I believe your just fine. Is the more clients you do the better and faster you get. But unfortunately thats probably not gonna happen unless its kids or men. they give you easy stuff to break down your confidence. they want to think americans are no good and they are the only ones that know how to do nails. so dont worry my advice if you dont want your confidence level ripped apart ? get out and get into an american salon. Or just always keep in your mind your just fine. They are liars. Keep your dignity and just get paid for whatever your doing for now. block out the downgrades..
(08-15-2013, 11:43 PM)[email protected] Wrote: A big plus- yikes!! Funny thing when I took my practical in June- 80% of the people testing were Asian- I was shocked- my school/ class had 6-10 Americans??? Where do they go to school??? I know a majority of my area goes to Asians- fast service *walk ins * and they do a good job (on the surface) killer nail art regardless if its air brushed or not - I'm currently trying to self learn air brush too!
I'm frustrated as well!

They dont go to school most of them just come here and do the apprentice thing which is bullcrap..its all illegal,

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 5
Views: 1,964
01-03-2017, 11:48 PM
Last Postnail model 1
Replies: 6
Views: 4,366
07-25-2013, 06:20 PM