You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opi, Reluctant to buy anymore...
Do any of you find that what you pay per bottle of OPI Gelcolor, that it is rather fussy, and not worth it ? I seem to get hit or miss results with it. It sometimes peels off acrylics, or it randomly does weird things, even after perfect application and results from the same bottle...I have several other brands I use regularly on nat nails and over acrylics with great wear and application right out of the bottle with no shaking, no fuss, no muss...I really want to carry more OPI colors, but just never know when the serious glitch will strike and make me look like an ass...anyone else have similar issues with this brand ? My co worker thinks it is because I dont cure it with an LED lamp, I do however have two CND lamps with brand new bulbs...
I've been reluctant to buy anything by OPI since I got stung buying into their first gel polish in pots. What a waste of money. I have heard more bad than good about the Gelcolor, and I definitely won't be buying a system that needs to be shaken so vigorously. Have you tried Cuccio's gel polish line? It's a dream to work with and they have some pretty great colors. One of them is a ringer for Cha-Ching Cherry, I think!
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
I have had no problems with OPI Gelcolor beyond the usual shake-out with a new product, not at all fussy. I love OPI and our clients are already sold on their favorite OPI colors. I wouldn't give up on OPI without a fight. I would suggest you try it with an LED and see if that is the problem
I have to be honest, right from the start I was put off by the fact that you had to shake it so much. I had many issues with Pompeii Purple too, worked them out, but it still seems to have a mind of its own. Have found another brand, same exact color, no problems, no shaking, lasts beautiful on natural nails and acrylic. The other night, had a problem with You Dont Know Jaques. Client has worn it before, applied fine, wore fine, no problem.After shaking,and shaking and shaking, I applied it ,first coat weird and watery at the cuticle, so figured second coat would fix it. Shook it some more, applied second coat, not covering at cuticle still, and I noticed it made her nails look super thick and wonkey, I DO NOT do thick wonkey nails...I ended up filing it all off, and used an Artistic Color Gloss color that matched, Luxe ,which I have not touched since last year,applied perfect, no shaking, gorgeous ! What a nightmare though, and ran very late for my next client. I do not know why an LED cure would solve this problem, when it has been fine cured with my CND lamps before, and all my other UV/Led colors cure perfectly with the CND lamps. It would be a total pain to have to get out my Gelish 6g, everytime I have to use an OPI color,then go through that whole dumb process of curing thumbs last, when I have lamps on both sides of my table that do a whole hand at once...and like CandiceAE, I got burned by those stupid pots. Bottom line, I love the OPI colors, and just wish I could use it out of the bottle with out all the fuss and issues ! I have been using gel polish forba long time now, and this is the only brand that gives me trouble,my application is meticulous.If any of you have figured out how to work the kinks out with this stuff, I am all ears, and thanks CaniceAE, and NancySyd for your input.Any other comments welcome,and sorry this was so long...! Smile
Just wanted to add ,that the color was NOT shrinking, it was just watery and tansparent at the cuticle. It left it looking almost ombre, or like the nails had grown out already.Very strange, but this was not shrinkage, I can fix that...
I've had the same issue with OPI and I won't be investing in any more. Whatm a waste of money.
Get Nailed at JB Salon & Day Spa
I am in the process of getting a line of gel polish. I have 8 colors that are going up on the website Monday Aug 5th. I have been using this gel polish and it was recomended to me by Vicki Peters who has been testing with it for some time now.
It is UV cured in 2 min and LED cured in 45 seconds. The Diamond Shine top coat is a 2 min cure. It is not a hard gel but the easiest way to remove it is by filling. It is going to sell for $11.50 for 1/2 bottles that have a really nice application brush.
http://www.tuffenuffnails.us
Are your nails Tuff Enuff ??
http://www.tuffenuffnails.us

Brenda Anderson
President/Nail Tech
Tuff Enuff Nails
Checotah, Oklahoma USA
[email protected]
918-231-3000
I use IBD and NSI, from BeautyWest. Lots of times I can get the ibd line for about $8-9 a bottle. I've never had a problem with it.
I am at a total loss with this stuff ! I have several other brands ,including IBD, that apply beautifully and are perfect on both natural and acrylic with no fuss at all. Did another client today with an OPI, I hated how it made her nails look, but it is her favorite color, and if she is not happy, I will hear about it. It just pooled I guess,dont know how to describe it, and it made her nails look thick to me. I am sure to do thin coats,this was over acrylic, but it made them look weird....just stumped...
(08-02-2013, 09:27 PM)CandiceAE Wrote: I've been reluctant to buy anything by OPI since I got stung buying into their first gel polish in pots. What a waste of money. I have heard more bad than good about the Gelcolor, and I definitely won't be buying a system that needs to be shaken so vigorously. Have you tried Cuccio's gel polish line? It's a dream to work with and they have some pretty great colors. One of them is a ringer for Cha-Ching Cherry, I think!

Agree, the first OPI gel products I purchased, the base coat was dried in the bottle, looked like old dried out rubber cement, crumbles on the brush.... attempting to exchange I discovered all were the same, in fact, Cosmoprof put the bottles back on the shelf so I formed a new understanding of them too. I contacted OPI about it, no response.
That and the increasingly inconsistent quality of their polish... the only product I still prefer is their polish thinner
we must all remember that almost all of the companies that launched a gel polish line had to do a recall of some sort. In an effort to compete I think they jumped past R&D and just launched. I bought a gel polish that completely dissolved the brush inside the bottle! The issues that we are experiencing with these products are exactly what these companies need to know about. when we have these issues we need to take photos and email the company with a description of the problem. We invest a lot of money in products and when they don't perform as promised we lose money in repairs and time. I know that O.P.I. will replace bad product no questions asked. I think if more of us told these companies what we experience at the table with their products it might help us all as a whole.
Update on last client, in her words, OPI sucks you should return the bottle. This is the first time she has experienced a problem wearing gel polish over her acrylic. A while back, someone suggested I use a base coat when using OPI over acrylic. Why should I do that,adding more expense to their product, when all my other gel polishes wear beautifully over acrylic with no base coat ? Sounding like a broken record, but I am soooo done with this stuff !!!! Sad
(08-07-2013, 10:04 PM)lexibunny Wrote: I am at a total loss with this stuff ! I have several other brands ,including IBD, that apply beautifully and are perfect on both natural and acrylic with no fuss at all. Did another client today with an OPI, I hated how it made her nails look, but it is her favorite color, and if she is not happy, I will hear about it. It just pooled I guess,dont know how to describe it, and it made her nails look thick to me. I am sure to do thin coats,this was over acrylic, but it made them look weird....just stumped...

Hey Lexibunny! You said you also use IBD. I've been researching which gel polish line I will invest in and I'm pretty much settled on IBD. Could you tell me which are your more popular IBD gel colors?
Jeanne - New You Nail Gallery
Detroit, MI

"The MIND, once stretched by the IMAGINATION, never regains its original form"
(08-15-2013, 02:10 AM)justanailchick Wrote: we must all remember that almost all of the companies that launched a gel polish line had to do a recall of some sort. In an effort to compete I think they jumped past R&D and just launched. I bought a gel polish that completely dissolved the brush inside the bottle! The issues that we are experiencing with these products are exactly what these companies need to know about. when we have these issues we need to take photos and email the company with a description of the problem. We invest a lot of money in products and when they don't perform as promised we lose money in repairs and time. I know that O.P.I. will replace bad product no questions asked. I think if more of us told these companies what we experience at the table with their products it might help us all as a whole.

At one time I did contact them (several times) and they were still in the denial phase of blaming the tech. I don't have the time to spend on these problem products. Mani-Q and Cuccio Colour Veneer were both late to the party because they took the time to get it right - so I'll just spend my money there. Products where they rush to market and cause service breakdown can cause us to lose clients - those dollars lost are too significant for me to "invest" in helping these other companies get better. Just my take.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
(08-15-2013, 09:59 AM)jgayle01 Wrote:
(08-07-2013, 10:04 PM)lexibunny Wrote: I am at a total loss with this stuff ! I have several other brands ,including IBD, that apply beautifully and are perfect on both natural and acrylic with no fuss at all. Did another client today with an OPI, I hated how it made her nails look, but it is her favorite color, and if she is not happy, I will hear about it. It just pooled I guess,dont know how to describe it, and it made her nails look thick to me. I am sure to do thin coats,this was over acrylic, but it made them look weird....just stumped...

Hey Lexibunny! You said you also use IBD. I've been researching which gel polish line I will invest in and I'm pretty much settled on IBD. Could you tell me which are your more popular IBD gel colors?

Hi, there Jgayle01, ( hope I spelled that right ) ,I have only recently started using IBD, and so far, I am very pleased with it. My most popular to date is Maui Sunset ,HRH ,and oddly enough, Infinately Curious, which is a bright almost flourescent orange, that looks awesome with a light gold glitter fade. Since I have only been using it for about a month now, I will have to keep you posted, but in my neck of the woods, those are the winners right now....hope this helps ! Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
sobeit
Replies: 19
Views: 11,795
04-15-2013, 09:58 AM
Last Postlovethosetoes
Replies: 4
Views: 3,521