You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Client cards
Does anybody have there new clients fill out a sheet with name address # & different questions , such as are you aware of any fungus you might have or warts or what is the most important part of a pedicure to you and just a form to have on file for myself as a renter of my clientel?

If so can anybody tell me if they have this or send me a template thatd be great!!!!!
Hi Jenny,

I have a form I have all new clients fill out. I can email you a template - send me your email address.

Chrissy
http://www.lovethosetoes.com
Aw thank you so much !!!!!!!

[email protected]

much appreciated!!
could you email me the template for your client cards?
Question- I work in a Salon- THEY gather client info--is it unethical for ME to gather info on my clients myself? How do I do it on the side if so? Everyone talks about a "following" - any suggestions?
(06-30-2013, 08:16 PM)[email protected] Wrote: Question- I work in a Salon- THEY gather client info--is it unethical for ME to gather info on my clients myself? How do I do it on the side if so? Everyone talks about a "following" - any suggestions?

If you're an employee, client information "belongs" to the salon owner. I don't recommend gathering any information in that case.
Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
I am not a booth renter- rather an employee * however she doesn't take taxes out- I have to pay them myself.... I9 (I think).....
(07-01-2013, 04:16 PM)[email protected] Wrote: I am not a booth renter- rather an employee * however she doesn't take taxes out- I have to pay them myself.... I9 (I think).....

If she is not paying taxes, that means she is not paying taxes on you, which means you are not an employee, you are a contractor. That means the option to collect client info is even more complicated. I hope you have a contract in place - if not, get one in place asap - and make sure it addresses client information.
Employers have responsibilities . . . and paying taxes is one of them.

Check this out: http://www.thisuglybeautybusiness.com/20....html#more
Being new to this industry---graduated in April--- this is all new to me!! Yikes!
How do you delicately ask :-)
She has 6-7 other nail techs there....
I'm in NJ
There's no delicate way to tell your employer that she's a tax cheat, if that's the case . . . lol

I suggest you contact your state labor board and learn more about NJ law.
The way I understood it- I would be responsible for setting aside my own tax $$$ & when I do my taxes in April I would have to pay out what would have been collected.

Not sure I understand why she's a tax cheat- sorry
(07-01-2013, 07:17 PM)[email protected] Wrote: The way I understood it- I would be responsible for setting aside my own tax $$$ & when I do my taxes in April I would have to pay out what would have been collected.

Not sure I understand why she's a tax cheat- sorry

You need to seek some advice from a tax expert, like a CPA.
(07-01-2013, 07:17 PM)[email protected] Wrote: Not sure I understand why she's a tax cheat- sorry

Hi! I'm Tina. I know a lot of stuff about taxes and employment law, specifically how it relates to our business. I'm sortof an unofficial expert since consulting with other people in your situation has become a second job for me.

You owner is a tax cheat because she's cheating you out of benefits you are entitled to as an employee simply because she doesn't want to pay 7% in employment tax on you.

Typically, when you are an employee (following someone else's schedule, adhering to their rules and dress code), the owner is required to pay 7% and you are required to pay 7% in employment tax. This gives you access to benefits such as unemployment, worker's compensation, etc. Since you are being considered an "independent contractor" you will be required to pay the full 15% yourself since you are considered "self-employed"

...except that you aren't self-employed.

You're not enjoying the benefits a self-employed person enjoys in exchange for the higher employment tax, like setting your own hours, working wherever you please whenever you please, and performing your services your way.

If your salon owner wants to treat you as an employee and have that degree of control over you, they need to pay your employment taxes like everyone else does. Period. It is not open for interpretation and does not vary by industry. What she is doing is a blatant violation of federal tax law.
Ok this is stressing me- there's 6 or so other techs there & the place has been there 20 years-- the former owner sold shop to current owner & she (former owner) still works there!!! Most of the Nail techs are there 10-8-4 years that I've found... I do not see how it's possible. I have been to many shops that pay cash only- completely off the books & 1 Asian salon that was ironically on the books completely- Go figure!!!! I went with American Owned & Operated thinking in all aspects it was better....now I have to figure out how to address this issue! Without loosing a job :-(
Cton,

Just because people are ignorant of the law doesn't mean they are exempt from it. And just because it has always been that way really doesn't make it right. So you have a number of choices to make regarding the situation. I do happen to agree with Tina and Jamie though, your "boss" is cheating you out of employment benefits while deluding you into believing you are an actual employee when legally according to US federal tax code you are not.

You can choose to ask the owner why you are being treated as an employee but paid as a contractor OR you can just start interviewing at other salons and make compensation one of the topics you ask a lot of questions about.

Ultimately, you really need to contact your LLR board (Labor, Licensing and Regulation) in your area as well as a tax professional and I am not talking H&R Block. You need the advice of an honest to goodness CPA in this matter.

Granted, we can all give you good (as well as some bad) advice on the matter but unless you get info from an experienced NJ nail tech our opinions really aren't going to amount to a hill of beans.
Hair, nails and waxing, I am a triple threat on two legs!!
Thanks!!
(07-01-2013, 10:26 PM)TinaAlberino Wrote:
(07-01-2013, 07:17 PM)[email protected] Wrote: Not sure I understand why she's a tax cheat- sorry

Hi! I'm Tina. I know a lot of stuff about taxes and employment law, specifically how it relates to our business. I'm sortof an unofficial expert since consulting with other people in your situation has become a second job for me.

You owner is a tax cheat because she's cheating you out of benefits you are entitled to as an employee simply because she doesn't want to pay 7% in employment tax on you.

Typically, when you are an employee (following someone else's schedule, adhering to their rules and dress code), the owner is required to pay 7% and you are required to pay 7% in employment tax. This gives you access to benefits such as unemployment, worker's compensation, etc. Since you are being considered an "independent contractor" you will be required to pay the full 15% yourself since you are considered "self-employed"

...except that you aren't self-employed.

You're not enjoying the benefits a self-employed person enjoys in exchange for the higher employment tax, like setting your own hours, working wherever you please whenever you please, and performing your services your way.

If your salon owner wants to treat you as an employee and have that degree of control over you, they need to pay your employment taxes like everyone else does. Period. It is not open for interpretation and does not vary by industry. What she is doing is a blatant violation of federal tax law.

For the original question - if you are truly an employee then yes, it would be unethical to collect client information. But it doesn't sound like she would be treating you as an employee.

It's actually even worse than what Tina wrote! It's actually 7.65% Social Security & Medicare that the employer is supposed to pay, with the employee paying an equal amount. As a self employed individual you pay BOTH, so 15.3%.

On TOP of that, the employer has to pay for the unemployment insurance and workman's comp in case you get hurt. In Washington state that comes to about another 6% as I recall. Also, as an employee you may be entitled to a guarantee of minimum wage for all hours worked plus time and a half for overtime. Here in WA that's $9.04/hour for straight time! This is a huge benefit for someone who is just getting started, and is just one more reason that many salon owners would prefer that YOU not consider yourself to be an employee...

Of course, legal or not, for you it does come down to what your earnings will be. If you are self-employed (paying your own taxes) then your commission split needs to be quite a bit higher than if you are an employee, that way it covers you having to pay out more in taxes. Bottom line, if you're getting paid an acceptable amount, and it's the best salon option you have... she is the one who is ultimately at risk if she fraudulently calls you an "independent contractor". If anyone ever gets ticked off at her and turns her into the IRS she will be liable to reimburse the tax money to you (and everyone else) as well as getting hit by penalties and potential legal action.

Another thing to keep in mind - IF she is treating you as an independent contractor, then you must have your own merchant account in order to take credit cards. If she has you use the salon's account then it's a violation of her agreement with her processing company and may pose problems for you if you get flagged as being untrustworthy.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 3
Views: 2,016
11-30-2013, 06:21 PM
Last Posttsita78