You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my little shop - need ideas
so ...here's my little hole in the wall ...I know it isn't much, soooo small (only 110 square feet) - but it's only me and the rent is just $200 a month (course all the equipment is mine). It's very private for clients and inside a busy building. I only re-opend the end of March after a 7 month leave of absence to care for my Dad who passed at the end of last year. I put new flooring down, painted ...would like to continue to upgrade the look without spending alot. I don't have a good eye for interior design.

My station is functional - can't really afford new - but it's nice enough ...thinking maybe a new sink. Was also thinking of upholstering my dryer & styling chair. Also - the old hollow core door you see in pic 1, I was thinking of getting a new raised panel door & painting it a coordinating color that pops a little. (the monstrosity in corner is my air conditioner - it will be removed at end of summer - it's my only option for cooling - normally a chair or magazine rack would be in that corner). The art on the wall is my husbands so I feel I should display - it is very nice although maybe not everyone's thing, but maybe I could use a little more color pop on the walls? Perhaps more mirrors to increase the sense of space ...although the size doesn not bother me. Was also thinking of creating a nicer frame for my mirror - the fabric was quick fix for now. The outlet box on the wall in pic 1 bothers me but not sure what I can do about that...

thoughts anyone? TY

[Image: DSCN3584.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3590.jpg]
the best things in life, aren't things ...
The station is more functional than stylish like you said. Salon furniture is expensive so that is understandable. Here's the thing: so is all the other furniture. I would recommend getting a "cuter" trash can, clock, the table by the dryer (preferably something higher than that outlet), and table that the air conditioning is sitting on. For the table under the air conditioning I think a good idea would be to get something with shelving or a cabinet so you can have more storage.

The paint color may as well be white. Its close enough to still have the same feel as plain white walls. I think a sage green would be nice, and go well with the floors.

I think the fabric around the mirror looks heavy. Most salons do not have any frame around the mirrors, and it looks fine. If you feel like something needs to be there I think a track light across the top will look good.

I don't like the fabric over the dryer chair. If nothing is wrong with it, I think it would look better bare. If you do need something over it I think this color scheme:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2420/2406...26c344.jpg
would look nice. That is, if you did want to paint your walls sage green.

The shelve with the retail is too cluttered. I think if its for retail only retail should be on it. The orchid can stay. I think it's really cute how you displayed the headbands but all that stuff on the shelve above it is distracting. You could probably move the phone next to the air conditioner. Those things that are dangling from the top shelve (i can't tell what it is by the pic) should be moved to eye level. The craft stores sell jewelry displays.

The artwork would look good on the same wall like a collage type thing.

It would be nice for you to get another switch plate for the lights, one that isn't so cold. Although, I don't know how easy it is to find a 5 switch one.

Also, that sign for pedicures would look nicer in a frame. Anytime you have a deal or want to advertise something just use the same frame.

I think it would be a good idea to get some hooks or a clothes tree for people to hang their purses and jackets.
Thanks for the tips ...you have some good ones that I'll implement!
I actually do have coat hooks you just can't see them from these views (the handbags in the pic are mine ...I should keep them in the closet) - really like the idea to cluster the art
- the dryer chair is very old gold, embossed vinyl & stained, that's why I'm thinking to have it reupholstered
Decluttering the corner shelving unit sounds good too - it really isn't a retail display although, yup, headbands, barrettes & the dangling things are bracelets. Mostly it's the phone, appointment book, licenses (which could go on a wall somewhere maybe by the entrance), pencil holder & sharpener. Definately could use some shelving!
In person, the 'paint' actually doesn't look so white - it is a very soft sage/mint but it does look more white here ...the sample of course did look greener - funny how that goes. I was afraid of too much color in such a small space ...maybe I can go a shade 'deeper' - paint is cheap enough. Thanks so much for your input!
Keep the ideas coming - I really want to 'unfrump' the place!
If you put wide stripes on one wall it will make the space seem larger and more modern. I would go with neutral, lighter - it looks like the space is already gray, so I would go with a cream stripe.

Most of your accessories and furniture are black, which weighs down the room. If you can paint or replace with white or lighter colors you'll modernize the space a lot.

i agree with the drape around the mirror - ditch it. If you can frame out the mirrow with molding, that would be much better, but a plain mirror is fine also.

I personally would not paint the door a bright color - why draw attention to a door? Maybe paint it white or get a 4-panel door and replace the one you have - they are cheap.

A hanging light or two would be fun. IKEA has some great ones and on overstock you can find some cute chandeliers cheap.
Jimsjadab has some great ideas - I actually have the exact same flooring that you do in my studio and I have a light mauve paint on the walls - it actually leans toward purple - and it looks great. My studio is a bit bigger at 220 sf, but I have quite a lot of retail in that little space so it's somewhat equivalent. You definitely need less clutter and more color, unless you're hoping for a more reserved look, in which case less clutter and having a central look/feel that is repeated throughout the space.

For the switch plate- since you also do nails I can only assume you have some gel polish (I know you do) and some glitter - so it would be a cheap and colorful switch to just dress up the plate you have. Just use your file to rough up the surface first and be sure to seal it with a hard gel top coat.

The chair cover really only matches the mirror swag (which I agree is a bit heavy) and somewhat clashes with the flooring, which might be the issue there.

One thing that shows in the pictures is that you have a ton going on on the service wall and the other wall is almost bare, which creates a lopsided effect. Maybe it's just the pictures, but that's all we have to go on. Perhaps there is a way to break up the room more, such as relocating the items (or hiding them in a clean cabinet) that are between the hair station and the shelving on the next wall. Even having them in a cupboard of some sort that fades in (or pops out, depending on preference) gives the eyes a break between seeing the hair station then seeing the retail. Also a low cabinet would give you another surface to display retail or neatly organize any needed items.

Groupings of pictures along with dimensional elements on the walls is also a good suggestion. If you have an Ikea near you they sell picture ledge shelving in an off-white that comes in two lengths. They are very clean and slim looking and don't take up space. I use them in the retail area for pictures and other items with a small footprint. I also use one in the "beverage" area that holds the tea assortment, and use them in the service area to hold lotions and gel polish. Since I use them throughout the studio it gives a cohesive look to the room, and they look very tidy even though they might be holding two dozen gel polishes.

Just a thought, but instead of messing with that old chair why not invest in a free standing dryer that can be moved to the styling chair when needed and tucked into a corner when it's not? That would eliminate the chair and give you a little more real estate to work with.

**edited to add: Everything seems so critical! A small space is so challenging. My stylist works from home and has a little room built into her garage - I'm not sure it's even 100 square feet! She basically has the style chair in the center of the room and has the same color of cabinetry all the way around the room. She actually went with a bright color, which really opens up the room - so maybe a leaf green instead of sage? Or another color... idk. Any piece of furniture or shelf or display she brings in is the same color, so there is definite unity in the room and it doesn't feel cramped at all. Sometimes she'll find something she likes and it's the wrong color so she just spray paints and seals it. Maybe that's the biggest key - uniform look/color and hide all clutter behind cabinets unless it is something that adds to the look of the space. Anything colorful, like glitters can be neatly displayed. I know my clients love looking at my magnetic boards of glitter and confetti, and it seems they all love looking at the polish racks as well.

Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
I'm loving the ideas everyone! I can't wait to get started!
(06-30-2013, 04:52 PM)plumgirl Wrote: I personally would not paint the door a bright color - why draw attention to a door? Maybe paint it white or get a 4-panel door and replace the one you have - they are cheap.

oh - yeah ...I didn't mean to paint the old door ...I mentioned I was thinking of getting a new raised panel door ...kinda like you said plumgirl! I actually would need several of them but I know they are pretty cheap.

great ideas everyone ...I feel a bit overwhelmed with all the ideas and changes I need to make - actually feel a bit embarrassed about my salon now Blush - but I do want ideas & am so glad I asked for input ...working in an artistic felid you'd think I'd have a little more imagination about this ...wish I had a few grand I could spend! All in time I guess ...I'll start with the easiest & cheapest (or no cost) first. I'm very grateful for the suggestions & can't wait to get started! Tomorrow!
I wouldn't be embarrassed, I've set up four salons in the last several years and with the first three each one was WAY better than the last, until I finally found the "look" that I wanted! If doing hair/nails qualified us to do interior design then all the interior designers would be out of business, because we'd all be doing it on the side. Can you imagine booking appointments? Oh, yes so a hair cut and a spa manicure? Would you like to book a redecorating consult as well? Big Grin
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
(07-01-2013, 11:50 AM)CandiceAE Wrote: I wouldn't be embarrassed, I've set up four salons in the last several years and with the first three each one was WAY better than the last, until I finally found the "look" that I wanted! If doing hair/nails qualified us to do interior design then all the interior designers would be out of business, because we'd all be doing it on the side. Can you imagine booking appointments? Oh, yes so a hair cut and a spa manicure? Would you like to book a redecorating consult as well? Big Grin

now that cheered me up! TY! I'll have to do a photo chronicle of my progress!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 8
Views: 3,387
03-29-2016, 08:44 AM
Last Postnail model 1
Replies: 1
Views: 1,625
06-23-2015, 02:50 PM