You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you wear on your nails as a tech??
I have struggled so much with having my own nails done. I have never had anyone do them for me, so I wonder if the angle may have anything to do with it...
I wear acrylics pretty well, but I am the only tech here that does artificial nails, and honestly, I'd love to just wear my natural nails.
They are very bendy though. Right ow they have been very nice and not breaking, but I have never been able to wea shellac or Gelish for longer than 3 to 4 days before it starts to seperate from the free edge on a couple nails, even when I do them before my days off..... I wear gloves while I work when I wear shellac, brisa lite and the structure gel have made zero difference.....
Is there anything you guys can reccommend?? None of my clients have issues, I have a full clientele of happy clients with no problems.... I just really want to be able to have my own nails done!!
My flimsy nails thrive overlaid by hard gel in a sheer pink, Light Elegance Pink and Clear blended together.
Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
I have on a brisa gel overlay with a pink shellac and glitter french tip. My nails are too bendy for just gel polish or shellac.
I have to say my nails are the worst nails in the biz ...I have found Brisa Light & Akzentz Natural the best for me ...I'm a stylist, not nail tech so I have limited mani clients ...the ones I have seem to be able to wear anything I use ...but for me, all products have previously separated at the free edge (because) I too, have very soft flexible nails ...until the past several weeks I have been using the 2 products I mentioned plus being sure to use cuticle oil on my cuticles & under my free edge every day - twice a day - it REALLY helps. Also - a protien bond on the free edge will help too! I always use now. HTH
the best things in life, aren't things ...
I have to use acid primer on my nails to get gel polish to last more than a day or 2. That's exactly what my nails do too; they separate at the free edge. I'll just look at my finger and notice that it has lifted more than half way off in one sheet.
Does builder gel ever lift from your nails when you do an overlay? I've tried that too and it tends to pull away at the free edge, I'm sure it's becausein a "picker" but I seriously try to be very aware and not pick when I have my nails one. They're so healthy right now, I'm afraid to put an overlay on the,, especially gel since that cant be soaked off. I am sssoooo bad at practicing what I preach, I will pick and pick.... Lol
The same thing happens when I use shellac too! I thought that my thin nails might be the reason. I guess shellac is still too much like a polish for me. Ive been wearing gelcolor with great success though and I always use my solar o 2x's/day. Solar oil has been amazing to shrink back my cuticles. However, if gelish didnt work for you, gelcolor prob wont either since they are similar, but its worth a shot.

What if you use a nail hardener? Ive read that horse hoof cream works wonders. Google it and see what you think.
I use a medium grit sanding band and pop it on the end of a brush that is thick enough to hold it. Then, I twist it under the free edge so the gel and nail are sanded together a little bit. No free edge lifting! Learned the trick from Amy Becker.
(06-22-2013, 06:18 PM)Melissa82 Wrote: I use a medium grit sanding band and pop it on the end of a brush that is thick enough to hold it. Then, I twist it under the free edge so the gel and nail are sanded together a little bit. No free edge lifting! Learned the trick from Amy Becker.

Maybe because it's past my bed time, but I couldn't follow that.
Put a sanding band on the end of a brush or pencil. Twist it under the nail.
Fantastic trick! Just that little twist under the nail should give a extra prep/grip an hopefully reduce the free edge lifting! Star Nail sells a birchwood stick with an abrasive on the tip.. Try looking here: http://www.starnail.nailtech.com if you can't find it let me know and I will find it for you!
Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

So that's done during prep, so when you cap the free edge is has something to adhere to?
No, at the end when you are finished.
Here is her video that shows you how to do it. I've used the method with natural nails under Shellac and I've had no issues with chipping or free edge lifting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiTWRF-x8JQ
I'll have to watch that later, but I would imagine it can be done as part of the prep process too so, yes the capping has more to adhere to.
Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

I was in the same boat as you .... & Shellac didn't work on me either! I started off with nubs & my nails were like eggshell nails lol! But now my nails are a nice active length & all I wear is Gel Polish. I was using Gelish but now I've been using Artistic Colour Gloss for months now & it lasts longer , so don't give up on going natural, because you can do it!
Colie30
Philadelphia,PA
Gel polish can always be a better option.
I was surprised to watch this video & see that this company recommends filing the length & doing this little trick AFTER the sealant ...so that means the free edge cap has been broken ... I have read on the forum here that some techs don't cap the free edge but that just sounds so counter productive to me ...I'm a bit baffled by this
(06-25-2013, 07:14 AM)loribe Wrote: I was surprised to watch this video & see that this company recommends filing the length & doing this little trick AFTER the sealant ...so that means the free edge cap has been broken ... I have read on the forum here that some techs don't cap the free edge but that just sounds so counter productive to me ...I'm a bit baffled by this

I don't cap the end when doing traditional gel services; the shaping is done after the sealant has been cured.
(06-25-2013, 09:21 AM)PrecisionNails Wrote: I don't cap the end when doing traditional gel services; the shaping is done after the sealant has been cured.

I'm gonna have to try this ...every product I have says to cap but I'll give it a try!
(06-25-2013, 06:30 PM)loribe Wrote:
(06-25-2013, 09:21 AM)PrecisionNails Wrote: I don't cap the end when doing traditional gel services; the shaping is done after the sealant has been cured.

I'm gonna have to try this ...every product I have says to cap but I'll give it a try!

I personally feel the main reason to cap is to ensure the gel doesn't shrink back from the edge when curing.

After the product is cured, I shorten/shape the nails holding the file at a 45 degree angle, slightly underfiling the natural nail.
(06-26-2013, 12:44 AM)PrecisionNails Wrote: After the product is cured, I shorten/shape the nails holding the file at a 45 degree angle, slightly underfiling the natural nail.

so your actually filing/shaping from the underside then? TY!
Gel.... been using Biosculpt for base adhesion then Light Elegance or Gelousy over, then color gel (mix to match toes (Off with her Red) made of mostly Nailite gel colors)... but his week mood for white tips.... reminds me, want whiter tip.
combinatin resists polish remover, water.... looks ok on my pathetically short nail beds
I've found Linkage really improves adhesion for my nails, used to get fantastic adhesion on my nails (fill three, four weeks) as I'm older... yikes... fill every week to keep them a good example to clients
Toes perfect too ;-) regular polish

Apparently, I am that one very odd nail artist that wears no enhancements or polish at all. I keep my nails very very short and wear no polish at all.
Mostly because I am so dang picky about the nails I see coming out of so many shops in the area that there is no one whose work I would want to wear other than my own *lol*

But seriously, I am so bloody busy between hair and nails that I rarely have time to get a pedi let alone book time to get a nail fill.
Hair, nails and waxing, I am a triple threat on two legs!!
A lot of times I tend to go without anything on my nails because I'm too lazy to do my manicure LoL Unless I have time at work to just do a quick clean up. But I like to change my colors so I usually wear regular polish. Which gets me the repeated "omigosh, just HOW do you keep your nail polish on when you're doing other people's nails?!" Then I mentally sigh, flash that multi watt smile and say "Because I'm that good." LOL geez, if I had a dollar for everytime a client asked me that Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 3
Views: 2,114
10-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Last PostPrecisionNails
Replies: 3
Views: 2,252
04-14-2013, 12:21 AM