You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vitagel confusion
I have a client that is dead set on trying the vitagel. Ok, fine but before I spend/waste my money I need a little insight.
I have done some research and its all mixed reviews. Some love it, others think its a total waste.
Some find applying 2 coats of the vitagel works well, others use gelish base then a coat of vitagel.
My question is by applying the base first , does that negate the purpose of the vitagel? I thought the vitagel was supposed to be the 'base' because its on the natural nail.
Are you finding the nails are still benefiting with the regular base on first?
Thanks
I use it base gel first. I find that clients that are hard on their hands can last without chipping in between appointments when they could not before. I believe this is to to the additional thickness
might as well go ahead and use the base. I've heard it makes it stay on longer. There is no point in thinking vitamins are going to penetrate the nail plate from cured gel.
I'm not entirely convinced that the claims of this are true. If you look at the ingredients for both products, they are exactly the same and they don't list any vitamins. If they are for two different things, wouldn't you think there would be two different kinds of additives? Or even ANY additives at all?

I'm not saying the product doesn't make the gel polish stay on longer because it decreases the flexibility of the nail, but I just don't think it's going to do what it says it'll do. We ALL know that you can't ADD vitamins on top of the nail to make it stronger. It's what we put inside our bodies that do that.

Even though Gelish came out with this first, this product reminds me of the Brisa smoothing gel. It's basically a soakable gel that smooths out the nail and make it less flexible so the gel polish (or regular polish) will stay on longer.
So how is it any different from the structure gel? seems like they do the same kind of thing, right?
This client has me a little frazzled. She has been wearing gel polish for 2 years and nothing has changed with my techniques (application/removal) and she says nothing has changed on her end. She is very good with using cuticle oil and has added Biotin suppliments, but her nails seem to be thinner and breaking easier. She did have gastric bypass surgery and has lost alot of weight but I would think that would work in her nail health benefit because her diet is much healthier.
Dog Schoone wrote an article basically saying these products are misleading and that there's no way that the nails can benefit from vitamins in a nail product. For one, the nail plate is made up of dead cells, they can't be strengthened by vitamins other than general nutrition. Also he stated that any vitamins would be completely encased in the product itself.

To each their own, but I personally will not endorse these types of products by using them in my studio.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
(06-18-2013, 10:20 PM)getnailed20 Wrote: So how is it any different from the structure gel? seems like they do the same kind of thing, right?
This client has me a little frazzled. She has been wearing gel polish for 2 years and nothing has changed with my techniques (application/removal) and she says nothing has changed on her end. She is very good with using cuticle oil and has added Biotin suppliments, but her nails seem to be thinner and breaking easier. She did have gastric bypass surgery and has lost alot of weight but I would think that would work in her nail health benefit because her diet is much healthier.

I now only use structure for my rockstar toes. The vita gel is much easier to apply, just brush it on. I don't even mention to my clients that there are supposedly vitamins in it. I just say that it is a strengthening coat to help prevent chipping, and keep moving. I use recovery.
So you are finding that it may not repair the nail, it does make it a little more durable? do you use it as the base or use the actual base first and vitagel on top of that?
(06-20-2013, 10:43 PM)getnailed20 Wrote: So you are finding that it may not repair the nail, it does make it a little more durable? do you use it as the base or use the actual base first and vitagel on top of that?

Usually what happens is the client hits their hand on something and the nail bends and the gp and nail separate. Vitagel makes the nail less flexible. Its visibly thicker when applying it. I use foundation then vitagel, two coats of color, and topcoat. The website recommends using it with foundation first for Gelish, or Vitagel as the base if you're just putting nail polish on top.
ok thanks. do you usually soak off everytime (even if they use the same color again) or do you file off because its thicker?
I find it's better to file it. I'll soak and it's still doesn't want to all come off. The extra layer underneath the color makes me feel more comfortable filing as well.
(06-19-2013, 06:06 PM)CandiceAE Wrote: Dog Schoone wrote an article basically saying these products are misleading and that there's no way that the nails can benefit from vitamins in a nail product. For one, the nail plate is made up of dead cells, they can't be strengthened by vitamins other than general nutrition. Also he stated that any vitamins would be completely encased in the product itself.

To each their own, but I personally will not endorse these types of products by using them in my studio.

I find this a bit amusing since VitaGel is hardly the first product that claims to use vitamins to improve nails. That is one of the main claims for Orly's GelFX and CND promotes Solar Oil and Nourishing Remover the same way.

The vitamins usually are anti-oxidants like Vitamin A or E and are contained in some form of moisturizer base. It is more likely the base that makes the difference than the vitamins. That said, I've used Vitagel and find that it does result in healthier nails. I agree it's probably not the vitamins that do it though! I think you would be hard pressed to find a product that did not have inaccurate claims as part of its marketing.
Gastric bypass can have a lot to do with her nails . You may want to look at that more for why they are breaking.I have a few clients that have had this and it does made a differents . My sister had a client with her hair and she wasn't taking her vitamins right ,her hair turn one color and then another before she got it fixed.I don't know anything about Vitagel sorry

Linda
It's not the bypass that would have something to do with changes. It's the person who probably isn't taking the vitamins and supplements as the should to protect their health after a surgery that changes absorption. If they take them as needed, there should be no problem with their health or how their hair or nails are.

It's true that at 3-5 months out from the surgery, most people experience extreme hair loss but usually their hair grows back (or almost) and then there are no problems. If the vitamins and supplements are taken like they should, hair and nails actually get healthier and stronger!

I'm just saying this because I don't want anyone to think just because some had a gastric bypass, it's going to make services difficult. They may or may not have trouble but it isn't because of the surgery.

I'm 2 years gastric bypass post op. I've lost almost 200 pounds and kept it off. My hair and nails are better than they ever were! I wear nail enhancements and get my hair colored every three weeks because it grows like crazy! I don't always take my supplements as I should but I eat better than I ever did!
you see I said ,it could have and the client was not taking her vitamins ,it's not the same for very one . I'm so happy for you ,wish I could keep the weight off .you are right it is the person not doing right.
(06-27-2013, 10:00 PM)NancySyd Wrote:
(06-19-2013, 06:06 PM)CandiceAE Wrote: Dog Schoone wrote an article basically saying these products are misleading and that there's no way that the nails can benefit from vitamins in a nail product. For one, the nail plate is made up of dead cells, they can't be strengthened by vitamins other than general nutrition. Also he stated that any vitamins would be completely encased in the product itself.

I find this a bit amusing since VitaGel is hardly the first product that claims to use vitamins to improve nails. That is one of the main claims for Orly's GelFX and CND promotes Solar Oil and Nourishing Remover the same way.

The vitamins usually are anti-oxidants like Vitamin A or E and are contained in some form of moisturizer base. It is more likely the base that makes the difference than the vitamins. That said, I've used Vitagel and find that it does result in healthier nails. I agree it's probably not the vitamins that do it though! I think you would be hard pressed to find a product that did not have inaccurate claims as part of its marketing.

I do know that they aren't the first to make the claim - I don't use any of the other products that make those claims either, and in fact a company that makes these claims loses my trust and my money. I agree, it's likely it's the moisturizing effect that provides the true benefit. You're also right about there being a lot of products with inaccurate claims, but there are plenty that don't and that's where I spend my money. I'd rather tell my clients the things that can really make a difference than add an extra product and further cost. I'm glad you're seeing healthier nails, but I would suspect that has more to do with the care you take and their nails being done properly than with a "miracle" product. My clients are always amazed at how healthy their nails are after just a short time of coming to me.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
(06-30-2013, 05:03 PM)CandiceAE Wrote:
(06-27-2013, 10:00 PM)NancySyd Wrote:

I do know that they aren't the first to make the claim - I don't use any of the other products that make those claims either, and in fact a company that makes these claims loses my trust and my money. I agree, it's likely it's the moisturizing effect that provides the true benefit. You're also right about there being a lot of products with inaccurate claims, but there are plenty that don't and that's where I spend my money. I'd rather tell my clients the things that can really make a difference than add an extra product and further cost. I'm glad you're seeing healthier nails, but I would suspect that has more to do with the care you take and their nails being done properly than with a "miracle" product. My clients are always amazed at how healthy their nails are after just a short time of coming to me.

In all honesty, I can't think of a single brand that doesn't make some inaccurate claims; mostly it's just a matter of semantics - but such is marketing. I mean, studies have shown that topical vitamin E does have an impact on overall nail health and Vitamin A is a potent anti-oxidant which could impact even dead cells like nails.

But I really think that Vitagel has made a difference in my nails (and I find that many others feel the same way) that I think really isn't a matter of my care. I've been using SOGP on my nails for a couple of years now and I find that the removals are easier with Vitagel and that my nails are in better shape after the removal. Not a miracle, but a definite improvement. In fact, it took me a while to learn how to get Vitagel to stay on my nails; it tended to come off in a sheet in a couple of days. Again, I think it is the moisturizing effect as well as the protective effect from a thicker and more occlusive base coat that makes the difference.
I think ill give it a shot. Nancy, if you dont mind can I learn by your trial and error? What did you find that works best when using the Vitagel?
(07-01-2013, 07:01 PM)getnailed20 Wrote: I think ill give it a shot. Nancy, if you dont mind can I learn by your trial and error? What did you find that works best when using the Vitagel?

Initially, Vitagel was a royal PITA. It was thick and hard to apply - both Strength and Recovery, but Recovery was worse. They both lifted and peeled within a couple of days - although my nails looked great underneath! I actually gave up on it for a couple of months.

But then one of our techs tried a different approach. Instead of applying it from the bottle, she applied a small dot of it on each nail and used a gel brush to kind of scrub it in really, really thin. She cured for 30 seconds and then proceeded with the rest of the service, usually Gelish colour and top coats. Worked like a charm. It only lasts two weeks - our regular Gelish service can last three weeks, but almost no one here does that because of the re-growth - so 2 weeks is fine for us. It removes easily with the wraps and my nails look great. I am back to using Vitagel. HTH.
Well... that does help a little. Ive read up on it and watched videos and now im a little unsure of what method i will try lol. Anyone else have any tips or tricks that can confuse me more Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 10
Views: 15,277
01-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Last Postaimzolio
Replies: 6
Views: 4,313
12-15-2012, 02:16 AM