You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
arg! venting ...stealing
I know there is a cost to doing business ...but it really ticks me off to see how I have product lifted from my salon. I put a nice nail polish display up a couple weeks ago - right inside my salon door ...I figured all that color pop would get attention from browsers in the building- and it does but apparently not all the profitable kind. This morning I noticed an empty spot on the shelf & figured I had just put a polish back in the wrong spot ...later I went to get a color & it was gone...I don't sell polish so that is not the explanation - it's only me at my salon. I hadn't even used that polsih yet! I also have handcrafted jewelry on hand & for sale ...often in the past I have notice earrings or bracelets simply gone that I did not sell ...I guess everything has to be locked in a showcase ...just too bad.

Stealing is never right - it is always hurtful. But for such a small business it's twice the sting - we can't absorb losses like WalMart can ...small business owners tie up their own money - not stockholders money, corporate accounts & such ...arg!!!!!!!Angry
the best things in life, aren't things ...
In school in our business class I learned "people won't buy what they can't steal." Not to imply that people want to steal from you but someone is more likely to buy something if they can hold it feel it... Locking your items up may reduce your retail sales. Maybe you can try putting your retail in a different location. Like where you'd have to be more bold to attempt to steal.
It really isn't retail (well, the jewelry is but it's now secure & not easy to walk off with) ...the polish is near the door to invite comments - the color brings attention from people who might other wise not even pop their head in the door ...I guess I have to weigh the occasional thief against the added business the display might bring me ...at least until I find a way to display it in a more secure manor
(06-12-2013, 08:18 PM)loribe Wrote: I know there is a cost to doing business ...but it really ticks me off to see how I have product lifted from my salon. I put a nice nail polish display up a couple weeks ago - right inside my salon door ...I figured all that color pop would get attention from browsers in the building- and it does but apparently not all the profitable kind. This morning I noticed an empty spot on the shelf & figured I had just put a polish back in the wrong spot ...later I went to get a color & it was gone...I don't sell polish so that is not the explanation - it's only me at my salon. I hadn't even used that polsih yet! I also have handcrafted jewelry on hand & for sale ...often in the past I have notice earrings or bracelets simply gone that I did not sell ...I guess everything has to be locked in a showcase ...just too bad.

Stealing is never right - it is always hurtful. But for such a small business it's twice the sting - we can't absorb losses like WalMart can ...small business owners tie up their own money - not stockholders money, corporate accounts & such ...arg!!!!!!!Angry

I keep my polish rack behind me for that reason

"To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I'm working on the foundation."
Marilyn Monroe
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000798439789
I'm surprised that as a solo tech you are having a problem with theft! My experience is that this is such an intimate business, my clients wouldn't dream of stealing from me!
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
...my doorway looks out into the lobby of building which houses a coffee shop and a laundry service ...lots of people go through this building in a day - I don't think it was a customer so much as someone who might have just took a 'peek' ...many people just pop their heads in the door to check me out ...the nail polish rack is right inside the door to get attention ...I guess it does. Might have been a teenager or a bit younger who may have been in with a parent ...hard to say.
Would it be possble to grab attention in some other way. Maybe a narrow banner stand with splashy bold bottles of polish on the poster is an idea to consider.
Crazy in l Heart ve with Cuccio!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 7
Views: 3,512
08-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Last Postyou'vegotnail!
Replies: 12
Views: 6,309