You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to Nail School
Wink 
So I have decided to go to school to become a Nail technician, since currently I am doing a M-F 8-5 customer service job ( which is pretty boring) I have always loved retail and helping customers and establishing a great bond with them. I will be going to school Starting in September, and then I am wanting to open My own business right away. I am thinking of renting space and it just being me. I need some suggestions.... What are they best ways to get new clientele when starting in this business, and how much will I need to invest right away?? Im very excited and I am hoping I can make this a very successful career.
...speaking as veteran stylist ...you learn so much more after school, when you start work ...I think you would be depriving yourself of valuable experiences & learning opportunity by not immersing yourself in a setting with seasoned techs for at a least a year or two ...working alone you will have no one to learn directly from - this forum is great & very helpful but it can't replace what you will glean from working with others with more experience, so give that some thought ...just my 2 cents of course ...it's a very exciting time in your life! I wish you all the best!
the best things in life, aren't things ...
(06-12-2013, 07:32 AM)loribe Wrote: ...speaking as veteran stylist ...you learn so much more after school, when you start work ...I think you would be depriving yourself of valuable experiences & learning opportunity by not immersing yourself in a setting with seasoned techs for at a least a year or two ...working alone you will have no one to learn directly from - this forum is great & very helpful but it can't replace what you will glean from working with others with more experience, so give that some thought ...just my 2 cents of course ...it's a very exciting time in your life! I wish you all the best!

I called a local Salon to see what they pay, since I am trying to get info for working at a salon and to do nails on my own. She said they do 50% commission plus they supply everything. Is that normal for a high end spa?
I'd say that's as good as any Smile
...you will see some salons pay hourly plus a small commission ...some pay commission and YOU supply everything & some do as you have found ...50% for straight out of school is pretty good
thats good to what I got they want pay 5 hr and keep your tips and I drive 1hr 30 to them and they just want me to do pedicures, a girl been there almost 2 years and she have not started to acrylic, I been there 4mths and they want let me polish, so check them out to see what they will let you do
Monique_AL
I spoke with the owner of a tanning salon in town and she wants a full time nail tech to start for her in December and rent space ! She has hair stylists that rent other space. She will have a space that's $550 a month and I can promote my business to her tanning clients etc ... I'm really leaning towards this option since I'd love to be my own boss. Since ill already be in an established business would I easily be able to start making good money right away ??? I'm getting excited to start going to shool to learn more !
Please read this:
http://www.nwstylist.com/columns/2012/06...nsion.html
Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
wise advice Jaime ...good writing too
Congratulations on your decision! I'm sure you'll love provo beauty schools. It'll teach you how to run your business and market is as well. I'm looking into a marinello beauty college and I'm particularly keen on one since it teaches you practical and managerial skills as well. A BIG plus, IMO.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 0
Views: 1,149
06-08-2015, 02:37 PM
Last PostTheGlamApp
Replies: 1
Views: 2,183
06-20-2014, 04:07 PM