You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
somtimes I wonder if Gel Polish is worth it ...
Personally, I don't want to commit to a single color for 2 - 3 weeks ...or even 10 days, with the exception of a French look. Regular nail polish wears so well on a gel overlay, I sometimes wonder why I would do gel polish at all. Just go with a good overlay & use regular polish ...I guess for the client who doesn't want to deal with changing their color or who appreciates the long wearing shine ...the client who doesn't even want to think about their nails as long as they look good ...but sometimes I wish I hadn't invested so much into the gel polish itself ...Dodgy hmmm
the best things in life, aren't things ...
My acrylic clients love that it is dry instantly, and never have to worry about smudging, for them that is the end all for regular polish...
(05-26-2013, 04:35 PM)lexibunny Wrote: My acrylic clients love that it is dry instantly, and never have to worry about smudging, for them that is the end all for regular polish...

I've painted regular polish over gel polish and it works fine if the gel is not too dark! Just remove with non-acetone polish remover.
Tammy Taylor makes a gel base coat for regular polish. she says that it will keep normal polish from chipping or flaking off for at least 14 days. I use Eco So quick gel polish now and i have put a fair amount of money into it but I'm thinking about switching. the demand for gel polish isn't very high in my area so I'm thinking of adding "The miracle manicure" to my menu and possibly tap into an reached market in my area. not to mention that no one around here offers a service where they can guarantee any polish for up to 14 days so it will help set me apart. also the client doesn't have to worry about finding a polish they like from my selection, they can bring in the favorite polish any brand and I can use it. maybe you should look into this.
"I belive in karma...so i'm not worried."
some good points ...I live in an area that is severly ecomonically depressed ...the mainstay of my business is haircutting & styling ...but I want to add a little variety to my day & grow a broader clientele ...so far I have 1 regular gel mani client ...okay, I have only been offering them for a month now but I feel a bit discouraged when I realize that a clear gel overlay is really all they need & I have spent $100S on gel polish in the past few months ...I know I need to give it time & try to promote it (more advertising??? which takes $$$) ...I guess I'm a bit venting, a bit second guessing & a bit whinning Undecided
...not 100% sure I get behind it - mabe as an option I suppose I can (but if I have 25 bottles of gelpolish & use only use them a couple times a month - how much money am I really throwing away??)...the quick dry thing is a good point but reg polish also dries wicked quick over a gel base ...I guess I am trying to determine what is best for me, my locale & what the local ecomony will support. Most salons here that do gel mani-s, do them for $25 - now I don't know if that includes soaking off or not - and I assume a french mani is more ( I would certainly charge more for it & I won't even do a french mani that is not gel) ...okay, I'm rambling now Blush
Just a thought, you can use your gel polish that you have invested in, with any Acrylic or gel and do art work etc. I use ANY color I have if a hard gel client wants that color...be it hard gel or soak off gel. Because I am going to file them off anyway. So no color is a waste, you can use it in some way shape or form.
Another thought... if you don't see the value of gel polish, chances are your clients won't either. When I only had the original OPI axxium gel polish (which I did not love) and the clear Mani-Q to mix, I did not see the value of the service. Once Mani-Q colors came out (and I used Gelish to give me a bigger selection) things started taking off - because I started to love the products! Most clients only want to get their nails done every 2-3 weeks, not one week (or less) for regular polish unless they only occasionally get a manicure. That's just my personal experience.

-For acrylic and gel enhancements, I don't even offer the service with regular polish, just with gel polish on top. I sell the clients on it with the instant drying time, no fraying polish at the ends of the nails, and the shine will last the whole 2-3 weeks.

-Many traditional enhancement clients have switched over to gel polish - even some wearing longer nails! The selling point is obvious there - more natural look (even though I do thin enhancements anyway) and lower service price.

Probably 60-70% of my services include gel polish, either alone, on top of enhancements, or in surface art.

I used to still wear acrylics, which I can go four weeks without a fill when I am time constrained. Now I still wear my nails long and can go 3-4 weeks with the gel polish. I can also do my own nails much faster with gel polish than acrylic, which is a bonus for me.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
Thanks Candice ...that gives me some motivation - I know it will take some time to build a steady flow of gel mani clients ...gathering up some selling features helps!
Make sure you always have your nails done i picked up some gel mani clients just because thet saw me give a pedicure ans mess with polish remover and nothing happened to my nails.
Angela
Angel
i just went on the TTN site and I don't see the gel base coat for lacquer. Has it been released yet?
Nevermind. I'm just really tired.lol
NY Licensed Nail + Waxing Tech
Owner/Developer Suite Tee
http://www.Facebook.com/TashawnaH
Instagram: @SuiteTee
(05-28-2013, 08:43 PM)Tashawna Wrote: i just went on the TTN site and I don't see the gel base coat for lacquer. Has it been released yet?

I guess you found it! I was gonna try it but then I have to wonder what makes it different from any gel base coat ...since regular polish wears so well on gel anyway, I decided not to spend the extra money right now - but it certainly is a great angle!
(05-27-2013, 11:27 AM)AZNailGal Wrote: Make sure you always have your nails done i picked up some gel mani clients just because they saw me give a pedicure ans mess with polish remover and nothing happened to my nails.

that's a great angle too ...right now I have regular polish on ...but you're right - if I did a pedi or even just did a polish change for someone ...I'd be a mess but not if it was gel polish!
(05-29-2013, 06:16 AM)loribe Wrote:
(05-28-2013, 08:43 PM)Tashawna Wrote: i just went on the TTN site and I don't see the gel base coat for lacquer. Has it been released yet?

I guess you found it! I was gonna try it but then I have to wonder what makes it different from any gel base coat ...since regular polish wears so well on gel anyway, I decided not to spend the extra money right now - but it certainly is a great angle!
(05-27-2013, 11:27 AM)AZNailGal Wrote: Make sure you always have your nails done i picked up some gel mani clients just because they saw me give a pedicure ans mess with polish remover and nothing happened to my nails.

that's a great angle too ...right now I have regular polish on ...but you're right - if I did a pedi or even just did a polish change for someone ...I'd be a mess but not if it was gel polish!

When using a gel base on clients do you use regular topcoat? Also, do you file it off? My assumption is that being able to buff it is the difference. Also you can just polish it on.
(05-29-2013, 10:36 AM)Tashawna Wrote: When using a gel base on clients do you use regular topcoat? Also, do you file it off? My assumption is that being able to buff it is the difference. Also you can just polish it on.

If I did a gel base on a client and then used regular polish ...I would use regular top coat so the client could change their polish at will without any fuss ...is that what you're asking? Wink
I would do the base gel w/the gel top coat/sealer ...then regular polish w/regular top coat over that

...as far as filing/buffing or not - the regular polish of course remove with polish remover ...base gel, either or - depends on if it's a soak off base or not I guess
(05-29-2013, 08:26 PM)loribe Wrote:
(05-29-2013, 10:36 AM)Tashawna Wrote: When using a gel base on clients do you use regular topcoat? Also, do you file it off? My assumption is that being able to buff it is the difference. Also you can just polish it on.

If I did a gel base on a client and then used regular polish ...I would use regular top coat so the client could change their polish at will without any fuss ...is that what you're asking? Wink
I would do the base gel w/the gel top coat/sealer ...then regular polish w/regular top coat over that

...as far as filing/buffing or not - the regular polish of course remove with polish remover ...base gel, either or - depends on if it's a soak off base or not I guess

Okay, Thanks.
(05-26-2013, 12:13 PM)loribe Wrote: Personally, I don't want to commit to a single color for 2 - 3 weeks ...or even 10 days, with the exception of a French look. Regular nail polish wears so well on a gel overlay, I sometimes wonder why I would do gel polish at all. Just go with a good overlay & use regular polish ...I guess for the client who doesn't want to deal with changing their color or who appreciates the long wearing shine ...the client who doesn't even want to think about their nails as long as they look good ...but sometimes I wish I hadn't invested so much into the gel polish itself ...Dodgy hmmm

I appreciate your honesty (two friends trying to talk me into going to gel polish, alternately complaining about gel polish ;-) )
I haven't taken the plunge yet... I have 400 regular polish colors, I don't want to add the pressure of never having the right gel polish at the price of them... asked my natural nail clients if they wanted to try gel polish, all of them said the knew someone who had not been happy with the results. Obviously it is working for many, but... to me, natural nail, means not affecting the surface of the nail... Most my natural nail clients have thin nails and many have health problem, most like the "nail care" of a natural manicure, the shaping and changing polish in a week (tough on their nails at work or play), they want to avoid the "harsh" chemicals (unwilling to soak in acetone), many have thin nails (I understand, not the best candidates for gel polish)....I think they like the "spa" time....
works for me, I'll wait for the next generation of nail gels ;-)
or for a gel that allows the sandwiching of regular polish with a great base coat and long wearing top coat ;-)
(05-29-2013, 06:16 AM)loribe Wrote:

Ok. I found the base gel coat. Here are the directions but I would like to know what else I can use besides the 3 in 1 cleanser. Has anyone else had success using this base?

9. File Nails (All 10 Nails)
a. Shape and File Nails with a Shape-It file
b. Buff with a Buff-It buffer
10. Wash hands
11. Apply Miracle Manicure Base Coat - Cure (2-min in a UV Lamp or 40 seconds
in an LED Lamp) (Apply to All 5 Nails on one hand, Cure; then repeat on all 5
Nails on the other hand)
12. Clean off nails with a Wipe-It, moistened with Clean-It. (All10 Nails)
13. Polish Nails using Regular Nail Polish and Top Coat (All10 Nails)
14. Apply Quick Dry Cuticle Oil and Conditioner (All10 Nails)
Quote:sillysoup Wrote:
Ok. I found the base gel coat. Here are the directions but I would like to know what else I can use besides the 3 in 1 cleanser. Has anyone else had success using this base?

I would probably just try alcohol or any 'cleanser' you have on hand

...after thinking about it, I'm not rushing to try this because I'm not convinced there is anything different about it than there is about any gel polish base coat or gel ...perhaps I will try my Cuccio gel base coat with regular nail polish & regular top coat ...since I haven't tried this "Miracle Base Coat", I can't say, but personally I think it's a just a marketing angel - a good one - but just an angle; since no other company is telling you that you can simply apply regular polish over their system's base coat ...Tammy Taylor decided to take this approach. It's a pretty smart marketing strategy really! (now this is just my opinion & I could be totally wrong - this is just how my brain works) ... I am thinking that the base coat you have for any given gel polish system would be just as effective & that's what I'll try before spending any more money
(05-30-2013, 01:09 PM)wendynailart Wrote: I appreciate your honesty (two friends trying to talk me into going to gel polish, alternately complaining about gel polish ;-) )
I haven't taken the plunge yet... I have 400 regular polish colors, I don't want to add the pressure of never having the right gel polish at the price of them...
I'll wait for the next generation of nail gels ;-)
or for a gel that allows the sandwiching of regular polish with a great base coat and long wearing top coat ;-)

That's kinda what I'm saying ...I can see that regular nail polish wears very well over gel - and all these gel colors/polishes are pretty costly - at $10+ a bottle for most brands vs $4 for reg. polish of most brands ...if I can simply use a cured UV base coat then regular polish & top coat to extend the wear of my reg. polish - of course you still have the issue of removing the gel base coat if you feel you need to - but it's only 1 layer ...personally I wouldn't even bother. BUT I need to add that I am not a Nail Pro - I'm a Cosmetologist so I don't have the concentrated nail experience of many of the others here on the forum ...this is just my line of reasoning which might be totally wrong.

That being said - I did do a gel color manicure on myself this week - I have a good base of Brisa Light on my nails for support as I have thin nails myself (it's been holding pretty well, a few little issues due to the thin flimsy nature of my nails but all in all pretty happy with it ...also trying Bondique Black Diamond which I just received Thursday so it's only one nail right now)
In an earlier post in this thread, Candice suggested I need to sell myself on the service before I can sell my clients so this what I'm doing ...and she was right! I have to say I love this gel color on my nails - it's smooth and flawless looking ...regular polish just doesn't seem as smooth and easy to apply ...I like that I can take as much time as I need for a perfect application where reg. polish sets too quick to allow for that ...then I can speed dry the gel (in the light) for a solid finish where the reg. polish will take forever before it's solid - love the long lasting high shine too. So I think I'm sold on the service!(good thing ...I have about $300 wrapped up in color)
I guess it's a decision we each have to make - if your clients love what you're doing, there is no need to change ...maybe you can have a gel base coat on hand (of course that means you'll need lamp too) to experiment with on yourself for a while then just add that down the road to those who want longer lasting color ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 0
Views: 1,249
04-01-2016, 01:09 AM
Last PostJill in Ky
Replies: 1
Views: 1,396
04-12-2015, 12:38 PM