You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone check their square (credit card service) fees?
I'll be bringing Square readers to distribute at all of my events. Signing up is fast and easy; it can even provide receipts for cash payments.
Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
So when the customer signs it then gives them the option to tip or not?
Yes, you can activate a tip option with Square.
Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
Sweet! Thanks!
(06-18-2012, 05:22 PM)Nail Raising Wrote:
(06-18-2012, 02:33 PM)Tn Nail Lady Wrote: I just got my Square reader in today's mail, so I haven't used it yet. In my nail salon before, we had a CC machine. The two of us were partners and when we got the machine thought we could just divide the fees- not so. Both of us were paying a minium of $38 a month- usually more. They put our deposits in late and we had all kinds of troubles with them. I worked in a salon that keyed all cards under the same code and we made a copy of the receipt for ourselves, then the owner charged us 5% of our card total. I think I am much gonna prefer the Square. At a basic charge of $2.75 per $100, That is about the cost of a fountain drink here.

You will enjoy it! I have-love mine and using it. Customers love it! It is well worth it for individuals.

As for a Square and a confirmation number? I have had Square over a year and they have NEVER provided a confirmation number. So not sure what you are referring to where Square is concerned.
You swipe, put the charges in, they sign, tip or not, they choose receipt or not, and presto. I receive my payment with 48 hours, sometimes 72 but mostly 48. Noted in my account within 24. I get an email that a Square payment was made.

Since I only used it the one time I don't know how it is suppose to be, it issued me a confirmation number. I wrote it down and waited to receive the deposit which never happened. They said they would not credit my account because the transaction was voided even though I had a confirmation number. Said if my phone wasn't at least 3G then it wouldn't work. I have 3G all the time on my phone. Anyway, I'm done. Prefer cash or check myself. A lot less hassle for me.
I have never received a "confirmation number" either. Just email receipt stating the amount charged and the balance in my square account.

Square also has posted on their account the days of deposits so you can see exactly when you can expect your money to be in your account based on the day and time of the charge. I had a regular merchant account in the past and would wait for days for my money to be deposited into my account.

My clients love the fact they can get their receipts either emailed to them or sent to their phone. As Jaime said, set up is so easy with Square. And the best part....no monthly minimums, no CC machine to purchase (the reader is free), and no monthly statement fees to be concerned with. And with the tip option showing at the bottom of the signature page it reminds them to tip.....clients that don't normally tip are actually tipping now....and tipping well.
Melodie Hand
Clayton/Raleigh, NC
(06-19-2012, 07:45 AM)melhand Wrote: I have never received a "confirmation number" either. Just email receipt stating the amount charged and the balance in my square account.

Square also has posted on their account the days of deposits so you can see exactly when you can expect your money to be in your account based on the day and time of the charge. I had a regular merchant account in the past and would wait for days for my money to be deposited into my account.

My clients love the fact they can get their receipts either emailed to them or sent to their phone. As Jaime said, set up is so easy with Square. And the best part....no monthly minimums, no CC machine to purchase (the reader is free), and no monthly statement fees to be concerned with. And with the tip option showing at the bottom of the signature page it reminds them to tip.....clients that don't normally tip are actually tipping now....and tipping well.

Well, not sure what to say, but it definitely gave me a confirmation number.
A little late for the thread bit I use SalonSwipe and it has worked great for me. Also, as of July 1st there will be no extra charge for manually entering your clients card. It will just be the flat rate of 2.69% or whatever it is. It also makes getting tips easier because you hand off the phone to your client to verify the info and it asks if they want to tip. It has been working wonderfully for me. I picked it up at my local cosmoprof. Oh and they have a $10 rebate on your first use, so it is almost like I got it for free Smile
I love my square as well. No problems ever. I wondered about the legallity of charging an extra fee untill I saw out county courthouse and a couple restaurants are charging a % to use debit or credit.
They just changed the law in a lot of states. That it is legal to charge a fee on credit cards. As far as I am aware it is still illegal to charge a fee on debit cards.
In my state at least Smile
Honestly, I see no reason to charge a fee to the client for using the cc. All costs are business expense deductible at the end of the year. I keep a running tally of every month of my fees for my spread sheet. At the end of the year, when I make up my list for my accountant, the totaled cc fees are listed. YOu may lose actual USE of that money for the month, but it's still there as a deduction for the year.
I agree. It is the cost of of doing business and convienence for your clients. Almost all of my clients pay with a card. 27 cents out of every ten dollars is nothing.
exactly it is a cost of doing business, but indeed the laws have recently changed.. I think it may be a state by state thing, so if you want to charge a fee for using a CC for payment you need to check with your merchant account and or accountant.. better to make double sure you can before you do.. it might prove costly to retract that!
Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

I have been using Square for over a year now. I love the ease of use, dont love the fees, but its better to pay only per payment then to have a monthly fee. I cant take it with me if I need to go mobil on occasion. I just had to replace my card swiper as it suddenly stopped working. I just emailed them, tried a couple things first and they sent a new one to me in just a few days it was here. I have never had any issues with the money going to my account, as it hits my account within about 12 -24 hours. I have heard that you can raise your prices slightly and to give a discount for cash or check payments, but you cannot up charge to use the card. I have already raised my prices recently, and the higher prices more than take care of the little I lose from using a card. I do not give discount for my cash or check clients, I just take a loss for the card user. Luckily I dont have a lot who use the cards.
(05-13-2013, 07:31 AM)javamama14821 Wrote: I have been using Square for over a year now. I love the ease of use, dont love the fees, but its better to pay only per payment then to have a monthly fee. I cant take it with me if I need to go mobil on occasion. I just had to replace my card swiper as it suddenly stopped working. I just emailed them, tried a couple things first and they sent a new one to me in just a few days it was here. I have never had any issues with the money going to my account, as it hits my account within about 12 -24 hours. I have heard that you can raise your prices slightly and to give a discount for cash or check payments, but you cannot up charge to use the card. I have already raised my prices recently, and the higher prices more than take care of the little I lose from using a card. I do not give discount for my cash or check clients, I just take a loss for the card user. Luckily I dont have a lot who use the cards.

(05-13-2013, 07:31 AM)javamama14821 Wrote: I have been using Square for over a year now. I love the ease of use, dont love the fees, but its better to pay only per payment then to have a monthly fee. I cant take it with me if I need to go mobil on occasion. I just had to replace my card swiper as it suddenly stopped working. I just emailed them, tried a couple things first and they sent a new one to me in just a few days it was here. I have never had any issues with the money going to my account, as it hits my account within about 12 -24 hours. I have heard that you can raise your prices slightly and to give a discount for cash or check payments, but you cannot up charge to use the card. I have already raised my prices recently, and the higher prices more than take care of the little I lose from using a card. I do not give discount for my cash or check clients, I just take a loss for the card user. Luckily I dont have a lot who use the cards.

OOooppppsssss hahaha meant to say and you can go to the site and print up your monthly statements showing your totals and fees
(06-17-2012, 11:26 PM)scotchtapeandrhinestones Wrote: I work at a salon in NYC where most people don't carry cash. My salon owners allow CC tips and the clients generally tip the same in cash or credit. I get taxed right away for CC tips and the taxes kill me! About 1/3 of my check goes to paying taxes for those tips. If it were up to me, I would allow for the service to be charged but not tip

I've had the embarassing experience of going to salon where they do not let you put the tip on a cc/debit card, and guess what - that means the tech gets no tip. I typically have maybe $1-2 in cash, so if I can't add it on, the tech loses out.

Fees are a cost of doing business. If you can't afford the few dollars in fees, then raise your prices overall a few dollars - don't inconvenience your clients.
I am actually setting up a square account today and on their site it states:

https://squareup.com/help/en-us/article/...sit-limits

Beginning January 27, 2013, due to a settlement approved by the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York involving Visa, MasterCard and various financial institutions, merchants in some U.S. states and territories are now allowed to impose a surcharge on consumers when a credit card is used for payment.

There are currently 10 states with laws that prohibit surcharges of any type. These laws are not affected by the settlement and remain in effect: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma, and Texas. Additional states are considering similar such laws, so you should continue to monitor this issue if you plan to charge a surcharge.

If you do decide to apply a surcharge it is your responsibility to meet all legal and card network requirements which include the following:
•Surcharges may only be applied to credit card transactions, not debit cards or pre-paid cards.
•You can only charge your customer as much as you are charged for processing the credit card transaction.
•The surcharge has to be disclosed to the customer before the transaction via prominent signage.
•The surcharge must be listed separately on the transaction receipt. At this time, we do not provide a surcharge feature within the app itself. One option is to use the tax feature.
•The surcharge must be applied universally to credit cards from all payment Networks (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover).

If you intend to enact a surcharge policy, you must first provide notice directly to both Visa and MasterCard:
•VISA Merchant Surcharge Notification Form
•MasterCard Surcharge Disclosure Form

Please visit Visa.com or MasterCard.com for more information on the settlement. American Express and Discover were not part of the lawsuit that caused the settlement but have opted-in to allowing surcharges.
Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 0
Views: 391
08-24-2017, 02:28 PM
Last PostHuy
Replies: 1
Views: 1,029
12-15-2016, 03:56 AM