You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
nail forms?
Are all nail forms pretty much the same or do some seem better than others? I got a roll at Sally's ...while this is new to me, I seem to be having trouble getting the form snug up under the free edge.

I decided to try sculpting a couple nails on myself yesterday ...did pretty good but I found it a bit frustrating trying to get the forms in place - I can't close the little gap under the free edge & just above the form (if you're following me) - is this normal or what am I doing wrong? Maybe it will just come with practice. TY in advance!
the best things in life, aren't things ...
(05-03-2013, 06:57 AM)loribe Wrote: Are all nail forms pretty much the same or do some seem better than others? I got a roll at Sally's ...while this is new to me, I seem to be having trouble getting the form snug up under the free edge.

I decided to try sculpting a couple nails on myself yesterday ...did pretty good but I found it a bit frustrating trying to get the forms in place - I can't close the little gap under the free edge & just above the form (if you're following me) - is this normal or what am I doing wrong? Maybe it will just come with practice. TY in advance!

No, all nail forms are definitely not the same. But you should be able to practice with less expensive ones.
So, a couple tips. Always take the center pieceout and put it on the back of the form to help hold the shape
[Image: IMG_2297_zpsf8bfa5d7.jpg]
Sometimes the form doesn't fit snug under your free edge, because the 'mouth' of the form is the wrong shape for your nail
and you get a little gap
[Image: IMG_2298_zps31e6c37a.jpg]
What you can do is cut away the part of the form that is pressing against the sides of the finger
[Image: IMG_2299_zps78492a92.jpg]
Now the form fits under the nail with no gaps.
[Image: IMG_2301_zpsb5f58801.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2302_zps68dbb3f8.jpg]
Now I just keep these forms around for practice. The reason I don't use them is as you can see here, in order to close the form on the end I have to pinch it too much and it gets kind of a cone shape and that throws off my c curve a little bit.
[Image: IMG_2304_zpsaf538a8d.jpg]
I'm doing my nails tomorrow by the way lol
Wow! Great tutorial there =)
OMG! Thank you so much for taking the time to do that! I soooo appreciate it & it is very helpful! Thanks jb! Heart
You're welcome!
This is an awesome explanation!
Anna
Great tutorial! After 12 years, I still cringe using a nail form.
I am so glad I am not the only one who freaks out at the thought of forms. I have been trying to get better at them because I feel like that is abbasic skill I should have.... But I don't lol! Still trying Smile
No need to fear the forms. An easy way to get practice is do all your single repairs with forms. This lets you practice the technique without the pressure of a full set.
I'm glad I was able to help some of you, just as I've been helped along the way Smile
That is a really great suggestion and I usually do. My placement is what kills me! And my bead consistency lol the dripping.... Oh god he dripping Smile ao what nail forms do you suggest? I am at a loss for what is what with forms.
I recommend forms that have perforated wings, like Harmony, CND, IBD, etc. as opposed to the square shape one's like I used for these pictures.
Thanks. I will check it out Smile
Another thing not mentioned in jb's great tut is matching the shape of the f/e to the end of the form. Some people have a f/e that's straight across rather than curved. You can place the punch out insert in such a way that it makes the end of opening straight. Also, sometimes if the client has a long pointed nail bed, you'll need to cut out the end a bit making it deeper. You'll know you need to do this when you have the end of the form butted against the end of the nail bed but it doesn't go all the way over to the side walls.
I've been using forms a lot more and I have say that practice makes perfect. Always try to make sure you get the same curvature on each side of the nail. Nothing worse than noticing AFTER you've made the nail that one side curves toward the middle more than the other. That's usually from a nail not being straight and you put the form on straight or vice versa.
One last thing, Gemma Lambert has some really great form fitting tips on youtube.
100 years ago, there was a competition at a very local small distributor - it was run by the local OPI team. This meant they dictated what products you used.. obviously it had to be OPI. At that time they (sorry I'm not sure what they have today) had only the metal forms with the wires across the back, I tried and tried and tried... I could never get those forms on right without a mishap. I had a decent hand at sculpting and the lady in the distributor was encouraging me to enter to I tried and tried, but still could not get the hand of those forms. I was using metal forms but they looked like the paper ones we all use today.. I "rolled" them on a wood dowel to get the shape I needed.. I am trying like crazy to recall the brand that sold them.. ah it just came to me.. No Lift Nails !! I see they still sell my other can't live without item: the SPILL STOPPER - although way back in the ice ages it was called "little blue island".. anyway they don't sell these forms anymore but Those worked for me, but not the others.. then I learned how to use paper forms just as Jesse shows; give or take a snip here & there Smile

Its a matter of keep trying.. keep plugging.. if you have the talent to make decent nails, you have the talent to sculpt most likely.. your challenge is the form.. keep plugging and master that and you will master the world!

Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

(05-12-2013, 10:13 PM)BeautyTech.com Wrote: 100 years ago, there was a competition at a very local small distributor - it was run by the local OPI team. This meant they dictated what products you used.. obviously it had to be OPI. At that time they (sorry I'm not sure what they have today) had only the metal forms with the wires across the back, I tried and tried and tried... I could never get those forms on right without a mishap. I had a decent hand at sculpting and the lady in the distributor was encouraging me to enter to I tried and tried, but still could not get the hand of those forms. I was using metal forms but they looked like the paper ones we all use today.. I "rolled" them on a wood dowel to get the shape I needed.. I am trying like crazy to recall the brand that sold them.. ah it just came to me.. No Lift Nails !! I see they still sell my other can't live without item: the SPILL STOPPER - although way back in the ice ages it was called "little blue island".. anyway they don't sell these forms anymore but Those worked for me, but not the others.. then I learned how to use paper forms just as Jesse shows; give or take a snip here & there Smile

Its a matter of keep trying.. keep plugging.. if you have the talent to make decent nails, you have the talent to sculpt most likely.. your challenge is the form.. keep plugging and master that and you will master the world!

Thank you so much! That is really empowering Smile no I am off to go practice!
thanks everyone for their responses ...this was very educational & is good to know that I am not the only one who struggles with this - knowing that will help me to have to patience to keep at it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 2
Views: 2,338
01-24-2014, 02:04 AM
Last Postlz43my
Replies: 2
Views: 1,804
03-08-2013, 12:36 PM