You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How sad was the IBSNY show this year!
I have been going to the INternational Beauty show for over 20 years. I can remember walking into the show so overwhelmed and afraid to miss something. It was loud and exciting and you were practically squished down each isle! And they even gave out samples. Now the show is getting smaller and smaller and there is so much room to walk now. Even Moracaan Oil was gone this year. They gave out such wonderful bags. The Nail section is worse than pathetic. Jacob Javitz charges them so much money and they charge for this show, they have some nerve. A vendor told me she paid $4,000 for a tiny booth. You have to sell so much merchandise and hope that you will get future orders. I did not find any new great products that were a must have. I did buy a few Essie Nail polishes and all other girlie things for myself. I met a lovely woman who traveled from London to come to this show. She asked me if it was worth it. I didn't have the heart to say no.
1st show & it was fun- but I was looking for samples :-(
And was conservative on spending- bought from Akzentz & one other gel polish & a few cool shirts!
Yeah, I didn't bother this year. I figured as much.
NY Licensed Nail + Waxing Tech
Owner/Developer Suite Tee
http://www.Facebook.com/TashawnaH
Instagram: @SuiteTee
Well ladies I will tell you after attending this show since 1990, it has gone down and down every year... and the cost of the train from the Island.. OMG I almost fell over when the guy said $30 peak round trip to Penn station - I swear last year it was $17.. the shuttle busses from Penn to Javits dont even run all day any more.. I tell anyone who asks to save their oennies and head to the Premiere Beauty Show in June, Orlando FL..

http://www.beautytech.com/orlando_social.htm
http://www.premiereorlandoshow.biz/shows...efault.asp

Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

I am glad that I did not bother making the trip...I Was very tempted, but the Main reason would have been to see some of my nail friends. I will see you all in Orlando!!! Smile
Darcy
Light Elegance Educator
shhhh.. dont tell a soul..

Did I mention today is FREE Registration Friday...
https://www.facebook.com/PremiereOrlando
Win a Free Pass to Premiere Orlando at 12pm EST
Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

unfortunately, this seems to be the norm with anything nail related other than Orlando. I'm afraid that eventually it'll happen there, too. None of the shows seems to be worth the money to go to, especially when we can remember how they USE to be! I know it costs the co.'s a lot to be there but if the co.'s don't make the effort, then the nail show part is going to be gone, imo.
Am I wrong in thinking if the nail co.'s would come one year, word would get out and the next show would be better because the techs would come? Am I expecting too much from both groups? Who's at fault here, the nail co.'s, the techs who don't bother to go or the show organizers for charging too much for the space?
I suspect it's because the companies aren't getting enough sales is why they drop out. When you factor in the cost of the booth, carpet, electrical, walls, furniture, travel, accommodation and food for the troops it's easy to spend $10,000 on a fairly small booth, and the bigger companies must be spending upwards of $30,000 for a few days. You have to sell a lot of product to cover the costs, and of course most visitors expect show offers which reduces profits further.

We are of course still in a poor economy and marketing spend is often the first area to be cut. Plus over in Europe we have seen a big growth in low cost products and I suspect that these must be eroding the bigger companies incomes.

For what it costs to go to a show you can give a lot of free products samples away or make a multi-city roadshow and have peoples undivided attention. So there are other things you can do which are perhaps more effective.

We still do shows in Europe, but we are quite selective. They have to provide free education and we must have at least one of our educators giving a seminar. Or they have to be small low cost shows that are in a smaller town, where few educators exist and people are real happy to see you.

Orlando's successful I think because of the location (sun/beach/entertainment), good variety of vendors, lots of free education and for some people the BBQ - which we really enjoyed when we came over.

Iryna Giblett Nail Products Inc., Sweden
http://www.irynagiblett.com
(04-18-2013, 10:58 AM)sillysoup Wrote: I have been going to the INternational Beauty show for over 20 years. I can remember walking into the show so overwhelmed and afraid to miss something. It was loud and exciting and you were practically squished down each isle! And they even gave out samples. Now the show is getting smaller and smaller and there is so much room to walk now. Even Moracaan Oil was gone this year. They gave out such wonderful bags. The Nail section is worse than pathetic. Jacob Javitz charges them so much money and they charge for this show, they have some nerve. A vendor told me she paid $4,000 for a tiny booth. You have to sell so much merchandise and hope that you will get future orders. I did not find any new great products that were a must have. I did buy a few Essie Nail polishes and all other girlie things for myself. I met a lovely woman who traveled from London to come to this show. She asked me if it was worth it. I didn't have the heart to say no.

Bob's got a very valid point. I speak from personal experience on both sides of the coin, being a 26+ yr. veteran nail tech who's attended IBS NY several times & also the Event Coordinator for the Nail Tech Event of the Smokies, LLC.

On our 4th Event when we outgrew every hotel venue in the resort town of Gatlinburg, TN, we had to "go big or go home" & so we made the move into the downtown Gatlinburg Convention Center. What an eye opening experience in contracts, million dollar insurance policies, expenses, & other tedious 'behind the scenes' dealings that has been!

We used to be able to give booths free to the nail companies when we were a little networking event, but since becoming a small, but growing, nails-only trade show we now have to charge booth space to cover the costs of renting floor space PLUS all the booths tables, chairs, waste cans, etc. The room alone for this year cost almost $2000 (& it's been paid in full since last year).

Trade shows charge companies for their electricity, wifi connection, classrooms, & any audio/visual equipment, etc. While the GCC is non-union & their fees are MUCH lower than other large cities, it's still a costly endeavor for nail companies to pay that PLUS pay their educators travel expenses, ship product in, ship unsold product out, etc.

Our comps to all the nail companies to get them to participate in The Event is that we pay the:

* 9 1/2% booth tax on each booth (multiply that by 41 booths)

* carpet protectant tape (last year it was $250 - this year we're in a bigger room so it'll probably be double)

* 5 four-wheel dollies for the nail companies to move in/out ($200+)

Companies have to be profitable & with so many other cheaper online sites as competition, it's tough for our American nail companies to stay solvent now days. Many of these companies are "mom & pop" companies, not large corporations with vast resources to spend. They're owned by people just like us who have bills to pay, so they're not greedy for needing to make a profit.

Which brings me to the topic of freebies. I LOVE getting free nail product samples, but I haven't seen that at big shows for YEARS. That's because someone has to pay for those products in the 1st place & handing them out to everyone who passes by their booth is not making them any money. It's costing them money in addition to the massive amount they already spent to participate. How do they know if that recipient is a nail tech who would use/retail their product or a hair stylist, cosmetology student, shop manager, or salon owner?

Many areas of our country are still hit hard by the Recession. You see nail techs going out of business every day, shops closing, supplies being sold on Ebay, people going bankrupt. This shrinks the pool of consumers for professional nail companies, which IMHO is why we've seen some companies like Gelish sell to the public in Sally's Beauty Supply. And have you looked on Amazon.com lately?

The number of "professional only" products being sold or bootlegged to the public is MASSIVE. Some good nail companies have also bankrupted, too. Haken comes to mind & God Bless Scott because he gave VERY generously to several of our Events, but for the 4th Event he gave full 8oz. size Creme' Brulee' cuticle oils to every attendee.....all 150 of them! What do you suppose that cost him?

It's hard to calculate the ROI (return on investment) for a nail company to track when they give freebies. They have no way of knowing how many of those people made future purchases from their company UNLESS when they reorder, the techs call or email to tell them where they received their sample product in the 1st place.

That's why we urge techs to:

*support companies who support nail techs - mainly buy from them!

*techs - delay purchases to stock up at shows & networking events!

*tell the companies where you found their products!

*support nail education by attending shows & networking events!

Perhaps this evaporation of nail companies at larger trade shows will bode well for smaller ones, such as The Event. Besides being less costly for the nail companies to participate, we are nail tech owned & nail tech operated & our attendees are all NAIL TECHS!

Jill Wright
www.nailtechevent.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 3,621
09-25-2014, 07:53 PM
Last Postsueefd
Replies: 0