You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hard gel over SOG??
I was looking at a fellow nail techs pictures of his work that was awesome- he works in an Asian based salon- yet he's American. I asked him how his soak off gel polish looks so much 'thicker' or stonger' then mine? He said that they use UV Gel on top (IBD). I asked how they soak off the gel polish & he said they're lightly using Efile to take down gel & then soaking off gel polish.
Does anyone else do this with their SOG?
I have never heard of this. Did your fellow tech friend say how it wears? I'm thinking it would wear longer and definitely be chip free with the hard gel on top...

Chrissy
http://www.lovethosetoes.com
Bowie, MD
Ahhh! This is exactly what I was wondering in my other post. Except I was thinking more along the lines of just using a topcoat like IBD Intense Seal yo protect the soak off gel during frequent polish changes.
So is the process prep, base, color, color, traditional gel? If so, would you also charge more? I like the idea.
NY Licensed Nail + Waxing Tech
Owner/Developer Suite Tee
http://www.Facebook.com/TashawnaH
Instagram: @SuiteTee
Yes he said after last color of polish he uses IBD builder- if they are a Peeler of the free edges frequently- 2 coats IBD!! He says lasts 3 weeks barely any wear & tear! E file to the color & soak off.
I currently use GELISH-- they have a structure gel-- can that go on top of color as well as below color-- for added strength??
Does the hard gel on top magnify the color underneath? It seems like it would just be easier for them to wear gels with sogp topcoat. Then you could just soak off or file the color off do a fill and re-paint.
I wouldn't say magnify-- his gels look stronger then with gel top coat.
(03-22-2013, 05:10 PM)[email protected] Wrote: I wouldn't say magnify-- his gels look stronger then with gel top coat.

Ok, I know gel sometimes gives the effect of like putting a flat marble over something. I'd don't see why you'd do a overlay on top of gel polish, instead of underneath, unless because of the look.
No gel under because they're getting SOG- removing everything down to natural nail- with the gel on top (he says) keeps everything sealed in better & longer then the gel polish top coat. If there's uv gel on the nail you need o do fills on new growth etc....
In some cases a "hard" gel OVER a gel polish will cause the gel polish to crack underneath. In ALL cases the hard gel will HAVE to be filed off completely before soaking ro removing the gel polish. Hard gels are impervious to soaking..

Remember there are basically 3 types of gels now:
1. Gel polish (soaks off in 5-10 minutes)
2. Soak off gels (soft gels) (soaks off in about 20 minutes)
3. Hard gels (does not soak off at all must be filed off)

So fiesably you can top a gel polish with a soak off top, file off most of the top and soak the rest - maybe 15 minutes to get it completely off.

If you are thinking of doing this for strength.. thats not the right way to go IMHO.. if they need the strength that much, you need to move them up to the next level of gels:
UVGP -> SOG -> Hard gels
You can
UVGP + SOG Top
or
SOG + Hard gel Top
but should not
UVGP + Hard gel top

Some are putting a thin layer of HARD gel as a base then proceeding with UVGP + UVGP top. You can soak or file the UVGP and still have the hard gel base protecting the nail plate and as a little added strength
Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

Debbie -- is the 1st generation soak off gels stronger then today's gel polish?
Thanks again!
Soak off gels have more strength to them than gel polish, they still soak off but it takes 2-3x's longer than UVGP - so there is less flexibility, more protection, more strength.

So here is your thought process as you do a consult before deciding (together with the client) what is the best for her balanced with what she thought she wanted.

Has she been getting regular traditional manicures, her nails are relatively healthy, little chipping peeling, cracking, she knows how to take care of her nails (jewels not tools, lotion, cuticle oil), doesn't want any real length... then she is a very good candidate for gel polish

Nails are a little damaged (peeling cracking), doesn't want length, rough on hands, history of cracks, breaks.. then I would lean more toward a SOG or hard base with UVGP or SOG complete system.

If she wants artificial length, you need to move along directly to SOG and or hard gels.

Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

Thanks Debbie- always appreciate your input!
~Celeste
I use IBD top coat, non-soak gel, over layers of various things ;-) the manufacturers would probably freak
I've found biosculpt makes the best base coat but the sog gels don't wear as well.
I use their white tip, though shopping for another
and various pinks, some home mixed
but the usual is the sog base and hard top
results in less separation on the sides of nails and except for the clients whose nails are so thin nothing else sticks to them, I have no separation on nail tip. Almost never from the cuticle sides.
I like the wear of hard gels better, sogs pick up ink and color from fabrics, they all seem to dull with office work wear, but then, I don't soak it all off every fill and I'm not doing gel polish yet.
(03-25-2013, 12:50 PM)wendynailart Wrote: I use IBD top coat, non-soak gel, over layers of various things ;-) the manufacturers would probably freak
I've found biosculpt makes the best base coat but the sog gels don't wear as well.
I use their white tip, though shopping for another
and various pinks, some home mixed
but the usual is the sog base and hard top
results in less separation on the sides of nails and except for the clients whose nails are so thin nothing else sticks to them, I have no separation on nail tip. Almost never from the cuticle sides.
I like the wear of hard gels better, sogs pick up ink and color from fabrics, they all seem to dull with office work wear, but then, I don't soak it all off every fill and I'm not doing gel polish yet.

I actually am loving the new brisa lite smoothing gel over the sog polish. any sog base, 2xsog polish, brisa smoothing gel,sog topcoat, wipe dispersion woo hoo strong, slightly flexible, nails that don't crack in corners and wear great. I use my e-file to take shine off topcoat and soak off as usual and with maybe 1 extra minute. Love it! P.s. Do not use the lite base or top but may see how these work with sog polish as they are more cost effective in the bigger containers. Let's face it girls, nailtechsSmile are people who love to experiment and love the endless possibilities we now have. Yep it's a good time to be a nailtech
(03-25-2013, 06:42 PM)mar Wrote: I actually am loving the new brisa lite smoothing gel over the sog polish. any sog base, 2xsog polish, brisa smoothing gel,sog topcoat, wipe dispersion woo hoo strong, slightly flexible, nails that don't crack in corners and wear great. I use my e-file to take shine off topcoat and soak off as usual and with maybe 1 extra minute. Love it! P.s. Do not use the lite base or top but may see how these work with sog polish as they are more cost effective in the bigger containers. Let's face it girls, nailtechsSmile are people who love to experiment and love the endless possibilities we now have. Yep it's a good time to be a nailtech

Is there any reason you why choose to put the brisa lite smoothing over the color, instead of underneath like the product recommends? The strength/thickness of the nails would be the same. Except, you would have a thicker layer of clear over the color. That's what I'm not getting. Is it the look you prefer? I may have to try this myself.
That's interesting!! Thx
(03-25-2013, 09:17 PM)jimsjadab Wrote:
(03-25-2013, 06:42 PM)mar Wrote: I actually am loving the new brisa lite smoothing gel over the sog polish. any sog base, 2xsog polish, brisa smoothing gel,sog topcoat, wipe dispersion woo hoo strong, slightly flexible, nails that don't crack in corners and wear great. I use my e-file to take shine off topcoat and soak off as usual and with maybe 1 extra minute. Love it! P.s. Do not use the lite base or top but may see how these work with sog polish as they are more cost effective in the bigger containers. Let's face it girls, nailtechsSmile are people who love to experiment and love the endless possibilities we now have. Yep it's a good time to be a nailtech

Is there any reason you why choose to put the brisa lite smoothing over the color, instead of underneath like the product recommends? The strength/thickness of the nails would be the same. Except, you would have a thicker layer of clear over the color. That's what I'm not getting. Is it the look you prefer? I may have to try this myself.

To me it doesn't change the look of the nail. If I use a nice even layer over the color it levels out, perfecting and protecting the color. Time wise I am only adding one more step and my clients really love the extra protection, especially over french. Now if CND would come up with an led version...even better! I had already been using another sog in this way for quite some time with great results except for the soak off time (an extra 3-4 min) and with my client base being busy young moms and working women on their lunch hour, less time is just better.
Great to hear this --- thanks!

So it seems the process would work :

Nail prep
Base/foundation coat
Gel polish coat, gel polish coat
UV SOG coat / or light coat of Hard UV gel
Gel polish top (or skip??)

Just to clarify :-)

Thanks!
I would examine your base application. Perhaps it is too thick. Does the brands you use call for "capping" the free edge or not? I would only use one topcoat.. UVGP or SOG, not a hard gel type.. it looks like you are doing 2???
Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin

I haven't tried this yet! Just trying to understand application-
I currently use Gelish-- tricky base coat- I've been wiping it after curing.