You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uneducated nail techs
Ugh Im so frustrated with a couple girls I work with telling everyone Shellac or Gelish, ect are gel nails instead of gel polish. Everyone asks me why Im so expensive. They just dont understand they are not the same thing. Why is it so hard to open up a nail magazine or take a class once in a while to learn? Sorry just needed to vent
(03-15-2013, 10:14 PM)jennie Wrote: Ugh Im so frustrated with a couple girls I work with telling everyone Shellac or Gelish, ect are gel nails instead of gel polish. Everyone asks me why Im so expensive. They just dont understand they are not the same thing. Why is it so hard to open up a nail magazine or take a class once in a while to learn? Sorry just needed to vent

I found that half the students in my class had no clue about resources, not even Nails Magazine. They came in hoping to actually learn stuff...
NY Licensed Nail + Waxing Tech
Owner/Developer Suite Tee
http://www.Facebook.com/TashawnaH
Instagram: @SuiteTee
Hello,
I agree, the lack of education that nail techs have on new product is sad. If we desire to be looked at as a "professional" we need to act and treat our industry as a profession.....not a hobby.
The best thing we can do personally is educate our clients. Other's lack of education will give you a client for life. Clients LOVE having that knowledge given to them by their nail tech and will stay with you for life.

Keep on educating your clientsSmile

Sincerely
Georgianna Halverson
Elite Nail School
Madison WI 53704
M advice: Don't be afraid to share. As a newbie I am often surprised as to how many more resources I know that will help myself as a tech and the client as a consumer compared to other tech's who have been in the biz longer than I. Rather than being upset, annoyed, frustrated (ok, it's fair to be as I am too, lol) give them the resources to help them grow. By sharing our knowledge, we are helping our industry. Let them know about the mags, websites, classes, etc. At that point, it's their decision to make the choice if they want to grow themselves. An educated tech leads to an educated client, more return in your wallet and a flourishing, trusting business. I know I get excited and share any info relevant to the consumer/client when I find it out.
(03-15-2013, 10:14 PM)jennie Wrote: Ugh Im so frustrated with a couple girls I work with telling everyone Shellac or Gelish, ect are gel nails instead of gel polish. Everyone asks me why Im so expensive. They just dont understand they are not the same thing. Why is it so hard to open up a nail magazine or take a class once in a while to learn? Sorry just needed to vent

Hello, I understand your frustration, but it is not all new nail techs. As a new nail tech less then a year I have found that some seasoned nail techs as well are not up with times. In school we actually do learn about all of the new products as well as techniques.
What we should be doing is looking out for the use of product coming in from China. It is easy to recognize cause it is hard to remove. Ask those clients where they got their nails done last and turn those business in to the State Boards.
There are some "professionals" who don't know any better, and those who do and lie. Do your research and share the truth with your clients, even if it contradicts the media and what others say. If they need "proof," refer your clients and colleagues to reputable sources like our industry's top chemists (Doug Schoon, Jim McConnell, Paul Bryson, etc.).
Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
I remember being in school and my professor asking me why I was pressing my brush down in the bottom of the dampen dish (to get rid of bubbles). When I explained I learned that from the internet she just scoffed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 0
Views: 1,394
03-17-2016, 03:09 PM
Last Postpronailprincesa
Replies: 0
Views: 1,127
01-14-2016, 02:51 PM