You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very discouraged and need any advice~
Hello ^^

Well, I took my esthetics at Marca college and graduated in 2011, I did learn gel nails while I was in school, but my instructor didn't do them herself so we basically learned out the book. When I graduated I went into strictly spa jobs so I never did any gel nails, but I would do the odd set here he and there for my sisters or friends.

I recently got a job at a full service salon where my boss said I could do gel nails! I was sooo excited because I loved nails and wanted to become a pro at them. I've always been doing nail art since I was younger and even to this day I love doing all different kinds of art.

But over the past couple months I've just been having a downfall. I've had nails lifting badly, and even clients losing nails (which I discovered is because of a lack of primer; I know it's soooo stupid but I swear I wasn't taught about it in school but now I know! Please don't judge haha) I also have problems with sculpting on longer nails and making sure they are thick enough so they have enough strength. I had one client where I accidently left a lift in the nail so you could see it in one corner but it was little (but not an excuse), I also had a client who's fingers were kinda wonky so I had a terrible time getting forms on, and after she complained that she didn't like them. I understand why she doesn't but I think that I didn't do a completely horrible job, I did the best I could Sad

Anyway my point is now, I'm feeling so discouraged. I mean, I suck at my dream! It was what I wanted the most! Is this normal or am I just basically living a in la-la land like you know how some people dream of becoming singers but can't sing? (No offense to anyone!)

What can I do to fix this?? Or should I just walk??

Advice from anyone one here would be very appreciated

Smile
NO! DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!! We all have made mistakes and learn from them. Just like falling off a horse you get right back on. Practice makes perfect. Get a fake hand and practice or get som friends and family to practice on. You should see what i did to someones nail when i first used an efile. I made an indentation in her nail and probably caused permanent damage. Of course i felt like an idiot and was very upset but i didn't give up. I kept using it until i felt like it was no big deal. This message board can help you. Everyone here is so supportive. I do not do enough acrylic or gels to be able to give that kind of advice. I just say don't give up!
Try to find yourself so classses. Education is so important.. Check at your local supple store for listings of classes

DON"T GIVE UP!!! Smile
Sorry for your experience, but everyone has horror stories.... you can do this.. Go to youngnails.com they have videos showing how you make nails, watch them over and over again. Where are you located? there is probably someone nearby who will sit with you and show you how its done... Then you have to practice, practice and practice until it finally clicks.. They say you need to do 100 full sets before you really get it. I've been in the bus for 10 years and I still take classes, thats the way you truly learn... You can do this if you want to spend the time at it...Good luck...p
Pen Sadler/ owner/nail tech
Definitive Touch Salon
7791 Cooper Road
Montgomery, Ohio
513-794-0733
http://www.myspace.com/pensad
Licensed managing manicurist
young nails addict
Entity Advantage Member #73789

We are here to SERVE one and another.......
Keep at it. You are suffering because you didn't get good education - could you teach yourself to drive a car?

Nails don't have to be thick to be strong. A well made salon nail should have a free-edge the width of a credit card. The strength comes from the apex.

Lifting problems nearly always come from either poor nail preparation or product application. Some medicines can cause lifting, but it's fairly rare.

A training hand is a great tool and one that we use in all our nail schools.

Young Nails video's are good, and you might also want to check out ours: http://www.youtube.com/user/irynagiblett . The quick and easy French video shows how to paint the white free edge and that can make life easier for you to start. Several companies sell white painter gel, or you can also use a white gel polish.

Iryna Giblett Nail Products Inc., Sweden
http://www.irynagiblett.com
Are you in the GTA area still? Email me - if you feel like you want some local mentoring. I can probably help Smile Click the email button below this post.
Laura Merzetti
http://www.scratchmyback.ca
CND Education Ambassador
Toronto, Ontario Canada
Yes, go on you tube and watch lots of video! This is how I learned how to do nails before going to school and to tell you the truth I learned more over the internet than those 250 hours of school! And do you want to hear my horror story? I went to far when I was shortening my mom's tips ( who also was my guinea pig ) and I made her bleed! Don't give up!
Wow thank-you all for the response! I really didn't know what to expect here cause I'm new but thank-you I really mean it! And thank you for your wishes I am very grateful, and even your stories! It is nice to know that other people do go through the same thing, even though I'm sorry it did happen to you all. But I guess that's what made you all great nail techs!! ^^

Quote:They say you need to do 100 full sets before you really get it.-Pensad

I did not know that! But it makes sense! I know now how everyone is saying to take more classes and keep practicing and I'm really going to do it. Just by reading these responses and also support from friends the last few days only 1 person said quit and the rest say try. I've never been a quitter and I think I really do love this too much to give up I guess.

Quote:Keep at it. You are suffering because you didn't get good education - could you teach yourself to drive a car?

Nails don't have to be thick to be strong. A well made salon nail should have a free-edge the width of a credit card. The strength comes from the apex.

Lifting problems nearly always come from either poor nail preparation or product application. Some medicines can cause lifting, but it's fairly rare.

A training hand is a great tool and one that we use in all our nail schools.

Young Nails video's are good, and you might also want to check out ours: <link>- Bob

Thank-you your advice with nails is awesome, I will definently look at Young Nails and your channel! My lifting problem I think is solved, it looks like since having a new primer brush and dust brush a set I did on my sister hasn't lifted!! Big Grin I'm so thankful!

Quote:Are you in the GTA area still? Email me - if you feel like you want some local mentoring. I can probably help Click the email button below this post.
-scratchmyback

I live in Saskatchewan! Your website says your in Ontario right? Sad I'm sad I would love to have mentoring from you! Great site!!
I was terrible at nails when I got out of school. Been working as a tech since '87 so I finally did get the hang of it. Gels are a challenge to learn but there's tips and tricks to making a sellable nail. I'm self taught at gels, it took me 6 mo.'s to learn on my own. With the proper help such as the sites suggested here, you can be putting out a sellable set of nails in a month or so, I'm sure.
Pick our brains, that's what we're here for!
There are many great Nail Technicians and educators in SK. Can-West in Saskatoon, Nail Basics in Prince Albert to name a couple. While videos are good, nothing can replace one on one time with a successful nail technician and/or educator. Do some research and find out what is available in your area.
Sorry, I did not realize Marca had schools out west also - thought you might be in the Toronto area. There are lots of great techs out your way. If you are on Facebook please look me up or you can email me, I can connect you with someone locally to help. And thanks for the nice comments Smile
Laura Merzetti
http://www.scratchmyback.ca
CND Education Ambassador
Toronto, Ontario Canada
Quote:With the proper help such as the sites suggested here, you can be putting out a sellable set of nails in a month or so, I'm sure.
Pick our brains, that's what we're here for! -Donna in Huntsville, TX.

Thank-you for your encouragement and help! I definetly want as much help as I can be given! Smile

Quote:There are many great Nail Technicians and educators in SK. Can-West in Saskatoon, Nail Basics in Prince Albert to name a couple. While videos are good, nothing can replace one on one time with a successful nail technician and/or educator. Do some research and find out what is available in your area.

Thank-you! I will definently look!

Quote:If you are on Facebook please look me up or you can email me, I can connect you with someone locally to help. And thanks for the nice comments

I will for sure do that!! Thank-you so much!!
Contact Kathi from Nailbasics. She is the person I trained with and I owe my technique to her. She is awesome. 2 days with her changed my life. I'm not even kidding.
She has an AWESOME video. The most realistic video I have ever seen. Real salon nails.
Here is the result:
http://www.polished.ca/wp-content/upload.../10/12.jpg

Don't give up. What you describing is normal.. really, don't give up!
Anna,

Do you have the link to the video? I'd love to see it!
(02-09-2013, 01:00 PM)moonkissed Wrote: Anna,

Do you have the link to the video? I'd love to see it!

I think you have to call them and order it. Its a DVD.
I think it's called Gel Fills.
What I like about it is that she shows real salon nails, with lifting, cracks, etc

Hi There. This thread was brought to my attention. We have 4 Educators in SK. 3 in PA and 1 in Saskatoon that can help you with your nail business. Please check out this link and feel free to contact any one of them.

http://nailbasics.ca/education/educators...rovince=SK

Have a great day!
There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going
President of nailbasics - "Raising Industry Standards"
To cut to the chase. Spend the money to have someone teach you. Practice what you learn repeatedly. And start making money!
How many times have we all repeated what failures we were? And how we played with our products,and almost quit 50 times! And then we found BT!
The best advise any of us could ever give someone is-Take a class and invest in yourself! It takes so long to be mentored over the internet. And everybody is using different products. It can be so frusterating! Everything a mentor does helps! But I have got good and bad advise. So now I just say-Take a class,NOW! Or you wate to much time. I want you to be successful tomorrow. Not in 6 Months to a year!
Good Luck
Tesss Walters
http://www.puttinonthenails.com
Inventor of THE CLAZY GRIP!
Owner/Operator
Educator
Master Gel Technician
[email protected]
FB Group Page ( The Art Of the Pen)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author