You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying supplies as a student? WWYD?
I am very tempted to buy a UV/LED combo light. It is on sale for $50 at the.pro store. I still have a year and a half before I graduate though, because I am doing the full program. Here is my reasoning. We do not get a lot of nail clients at night (though I am trying to bring them in) and if I want to practice on students they have to pay. If I have my own supplies I can practice on them for free. I would also be able to tests out different types of polish and see what works for me.

I was just not sure of it was a good move to spend a few hundred on supplies so early in the game. Opinions?
Oh, and to add, I have not bought any other product besides regular nail polish, which is not out of the ordinary since I have always been obsessed with nail polish. I don't know if that makes any difference in terms of what I should do.
In your case, I think it's a great opportunity to purchase a combination UV/LED light at a terrific price, and I get that money is limited when you're a student. It will allow you to practice both traditional UV and LED-cured products too. As long as there is a good warranty, or you can bring it back to the store if it's defective, I say go for it Smile
Laura Merzetti
http://www.scratchmyback.ca
CND Education Ambassador
Toronto, Ontario Canada
I would wait. It's technology.they will have a better one for the same price a year and a half from now.
I'm going to caution you against buying too much. That amount isn't too bad and when new technology is out later, you can use this one for a back up for a pedi set up for toes. Be cautious on what you buy right now, I've seen so many students buy $1000's in different lines, only to find they didn't 'work'. (pilot error). They ALL work......
Save your money. Find one system and use the light that goes with that one. If something is cheap, it's cheap for a reason... that's my reasoning.
Well, it is $200 normally $250. I just realized that I put that it costs $50, but I meant it is $50 off. I guess my main concern is graduating and not knowing what to buy because I don't know wat systems I like best or how to use them. The only brand my schoouses is OPI and I don't love their gel polish. I was going to get the lamp but now I am not so sure. I just really want a way to be able to practice gel polish and enhancements since I cannot do that at school since they make students pay for the gel. I have not even gotten to practice gel enhancements once and they do not provide it in our kit. Man, I don't know what to do!
(01-12-2013, 12:08 AM)Melissa82 Wrote: Save your money. Find one system and use the light that goes with that one. If something is cheap, it's cheap for a reason... that's my reasoning.

How do you go about doing that when you have not tried them? Sorry if that is a dumb question.
Why don't you start simple. Buy a standard UV lamp for $50 and then ask companies for free samples.

Donna's right that today most gel and acrylics do the basic job (excluding some chinese products), so it's really a case of personal preference what you like and don't. You say you don't like OPI gel polish, but other people here rave about them. As other people rave about other brands. At the end it makes sense to just stick with something and work until you learn it.

Some products are more forgiving than others, and some products are good enough to meet the demands of experts. But there's no point to spend $500 on a carbon fiber racket when you just started to play tennis.

Iryna Giblett Nail Products Inc., Sweden
http://www.irynagiblett.com
Since you corrected the price of the lamp, I would now caution you to wait. At $50 that was a steal but now you're talking a significant amount of money.
Laura Merzetti
http://www.scratchmyback.ca
CND Education Ambassador
Toronto, Ontario Canada
I use OPI gel color and love it. Not sure if that's what you're having a problem with or not. I'll be glad to help you trouble shoot the issues you're having. Sometimes it's just a simple little step that corrects the problem.

As far as other systems go, do your home work now. Do NOT ask us which one is best because we're going to confuse you by saying a dozen different brands. We all have our favorites, and to us, what we use is the best. Truth is, they're all good, and as Bob says, with the exception of the Chinese knock offs, they're going to work as expected. Personally, if I were you, I'd look for a co. that will offer the best tech support for trouble shooting your problems and also local supply. The cost of shipping keeps going up, so if you can find a supplier locally, it'll save you $$$ in the long run.
No matter what brand you choose, if you're having problems with it, ask on here first for help before ditching it. Chances are real good we can tell you what to do to correct the problem.
I if you still in school get a cheap one off of ebay for now and start requesting free sample from companies you're interested in. must companies are really good about giving out free samples.
"I belive in karma...so i'm not worried."
Thank you all so much for the advice. I really appreciate it. I am going to hold off on that light and maybe look for a cheaper one.
(01-12-2013, 12:26 PM)Donna in Huntsville, TX. Wrote: I use OPI gel color and love it. Not sure if that's what you're having a problem with or not. I'll be glad to help you trouble shoot the issues you're having. Sometimes it's just a simple little step that corrects the problem.

As far as other systems go, do your home work now. Do NOT ask us which one is best because we're going to confuse you by saying a dozen different brands. We all have our favorites, and to us, what we use is the best. Truth is, they're all good, and as Bob says, with the exception of the Chinese knock offs, they're going to work as expected. Personally, if I were you, I'd look for a co. that will offer the best tech support for trouble shooting your problems and also local supply. The cost of shipping keeps going up, so if you can find a supplier locally, it'll save you $$$ in the long run.
No matter what brand you choose, if you're having problems with it, ask on here first for help before ditching it. Chances are real good we can tell you what to do to correct the problem.

Well I have only used it a few times and have nothad any big problems with it myself besides it being a pain to soak off. Mostly I want to try other brands because my instructors do not like it and say it chips a lot. We spoke to an OPI rep and did everything she said. Thin coats, cap the ends, etc, but it still chipped on my instructor the day after she applied it. Maybe it is the old Thermal Spa lights we use. I don't know.

(01-11-2013, 02:13 PM)Lynne85 Wrote: I am very tempted to buy a UV/LED combo light. It is on sale for $50 at the.pro store. I still have a year and a half before I graduate though, because I am doing the full program. Here is my reasoning. We do not get a lot of nail clients at night (though I am trying to bring them in) and if I want to practice on students they have to pay. If I have my own supplies I can practice on them for free. I would also be able to tests out different types of polish and see what works for me.

I was just not sure of it was a good move to spend a few hundred on supplies so early in the game. Opinions?
Oh, and to add, I have not bought any other product besides regular nail polish, which is not out of the ordinary since I have always been obsessed with nail polish. I don't know if that makes any difference in terms of what I should do.

Hi,
I graduated this year. What I did was buy a used UV light to practice with. I knew that once I felt more prepared and had the extra money, I'd want a nice new one. Also, I knew that technology would improve and become cheaper as time went on. And that is exactly what happened. Now I'm buying an LED for a price I can afford. You will be very tempted but try not to go overboard in spending.
A suggestion, me and my classmates bought tons of stuff in bulk and split the cost. There were 12 people in the class and we really made out by doing that. Good Luck!
NY Licensed Nail + Waxing Tech
Owner/Developer Suite Tee
http://www.Facebook.com/TashawnaH
Instagram: @SuiteTee
In addition to product samples, I would ask companies about their school and student offerings. Most all the major brands out there have programs where a local Educator can come into the school, demo the product line, and offer you special deals.

(01-12-2013, 05:53 PM)Lynne85 Wrote: Thank you all so much for the advice. I really appreciate it. I am going to hold off on that light and maybe look for a cheaper one.
(01-12-2013, 12:26 PM)Donna in Huntsville, TX. Wrote: I use OPI gel color and love it. Not sure if that's what you're having a problem with or not. I'll be glad to help you trouble shoot the issues you're having. Sometimes it's just a simple little step that corrects the problem.

Well I have only used it a few times and have nothad any big problems with it myself besides it being a pain to soak off. Mostly I want to try other brands because my instructors do not like it and say it chips a lot. We spoke to an OPI rep and did everything she said. Thin coats, cap the ends, etc, but it still chipped on my instructor the day after she applied it. Maybe it is the old Thermal Spa lights we use. I don't know.

I use it OPI gel color on all my p/w's and there's other colors that I have that my clients love. I've never had ANY of them chip. The only issue I've ever had is it seems there's a couple of orange colors that don't seem to cure well. I agree with you on your light, that's the first place I'd look to trouble shoot. If the bulbs have had a lot of use and are over 6 mo. old, they need to be changed.
On soaking off, I use my drill and go thru most of the color first to allow the acetone to soak in. Soak off goes much faster that way. What I do is thin the first hand, wrap it, then go to the second one and do the same. By the time I get back to the first one, the wraps are ready to pull off, the color is flaking off the nail. Use a cuticle stick, push the color off. It should come off really easy. Also, you're not using a bonder under the sog, are you?

Another thing, don't let your instructors influence you to like or dislike something. Remember what I said about ALL th products work? Same for this stuff, I quarantee you it pilot error. Once you learn the tricks of trade, (what we're here for), you'll find this to be true. Sure, there might be subtle little differences between products but overall, they're going to work.

If you want to try to some different sog's without spending $$$, try the ibd or nsi lines. Beautywest has great prices on them and lots of colors.

I am loving all of this advice. I will ask about the bulbs. They probably have not been changed. By the time it takes to get them to change them I will probably have graduated. Haha. I am just going to purchase my own inexpensive lamp and bring it with me to use. I would like to have my clients return to me even though I am just in school. We actually do have reps from companies come in, but but we only work with one product line per service, and when they come educate us we do not get samples or anything, we can only practice with it if it comes in our kit.

Again, this is really awesome having you all answer my questions. I think my tbiggest problem is that all of my instructors are really into hair (and amazing at it) but not so much nails, while I have been finding that my main focus is on nails.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 2
Views: 227
09-27-2017, 01:13 PM
Last Postbevlnt
Replies: 3
Views: 1,761
04-23-2016, 10:29 PM