You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glue problems
Hi all,
I've been doing nails for 23 years. I do silk wraps and powder and glue. I've always used IBD's 5-Second Nail Glue. (Either the regular or the Ultra-Fast, depending on what is available.) I don't particularly care for the Nail Wrap Glue, as I find it too think to properly permeate the silk, and I find it doesn't dry as quickly. Anyway, for the past few months I have had nothing but problems with my glue. Tips are popping off, or I can't get them to stick at all. Wraps and powder & glue's are breaking, peeling, and just generally not holding up well. And the amount of burning that the clients are experiencing has increased greatly!

I have tried a few other glues and while they don't burn, they don't seem to hold up as well. I haven't been doing anything different, so I don't know why I am having such problems. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know if IBD changed their formulation? I find it interesting that if I use plain Krazy Glue, which of course is also ethyl cyanoacrylate, I don't have this problem. I'm really perplexed, and I'm getting some very unhappy clients. HELP!
I'm not sure is ibd changed their formula; I would call their customer service line and find out. I use the 5 second glue as a backup when I can't get Backscratchers. Have you tried Backscratchers Stikr? It's the best adhesive! I've been using it for years for wraps, tips and repairs. I absolutely love it!

Chrissy
http://www.lovethosetoes.com
(12-19-2012, 10:54 AM)lovethosetoes Wrote: I'm not sure is ibd changed their formula; I would call their customer service line and find out. I use the 5 second glue as a backup when I can't get Backscratchers. Have you tried Backscratchers Stikr? It's the best adhesive! I've been using it for years for wraps, tips and repairs. I absolutely love it!

Chrissy

No. I have never tried that one. I have problems finding glue anymore. I used to use Schoeneman Beauty Supply. The family sold the business a little while ago to a company called Cosmo-Prof. (I think they are owned by the same people who own Sally Beauty Supply, but I'm not sure.) Anyway, they have a VERY SMALL selection of nail products now, and they carry almost NOTHING that I have always used. I will have to check and see if they have that.

Someone recommended OPI's glue to me, but I don't like the packaging, and I find that it tends to be runny and to well up in the cuticle area.

I guess I could order blindly from The Industry Source, but I hate to order something that I don't know of, and I hate even more to pay shipping. I wish I had a better local distributor!

Thanks so much for your suggestion!

Have a great day!
~Jennifer
Jennifer,

Cosmo Prof and Sally Beauty Supply are owned by the same company. If you can't find something in the store, you can order from your Cosmo Prof rep. Most of the time, they can order items that are not sold in the store. I didn't know that until I called Cosmo Prof and they told me I had a rep. They also price match. Like you - I always try to order from companies who offer free shipping.

Chrissy
http://www.lovethose.com
(12-19-2012, 10:16 AM)manicuristmom Wrote: Hi all,
I've been doing nails for 23 years. I do silk wraps and powder and glue. I've always used IBD's 5-Second Nail Glue. (Either the regular or the Ultra-Fast, depending on what is available.) I don't particularly care for the Nail Wrap Glue, as I find it too think to properly permeate the silk, and I find it doesn't dry as quickly. Anyway, for the past few months I have had nothing but problems with my glue. Tips are popping off, or I can't get them to stick at all. Wraps and powder & glue's are breaking, peeling, and just generally not holding up well. And the amount of burning that the clients are experiencing has increased greatly!

I have tried a few other glues and while they don't burn, they don't seem to hold up as well. I haven't been doing anything different, so I don't know why I am having such problems. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know if IBD changed their formulation? I find it interesting that if I use plain Krazy Glue, which of course is also ethyl cyanoacrylate, I don't have this problem. I'm really perplexed, and I'm getting some very unhappy clients. HELP!

We don't use any type of nail glue with our system but we have researched it as part of our education for nail techs and you may be surprised to find that Ethyl Cyanoacrylate (ECA) is not a very nice product. It's created by reacting 2 chemicals together:

Akyl Cyanoacetate and formaldehyde.

ECA is a 'short' chain CA so this means that it polymerises quickly but suffers with being brittle. The initiator for the polymerisation process is moisture, but moisture is also the reason for the bond to degrade. This degradation occurs through a chemical process called hydrolysis that effectively reverses the 'creation' chemical reaction of the ECA releasing the original chemical elements (akyl cyanoacetate and the formaldehyde).

These 2 very toxic chemicals can cause severe allergic reactions and burning to the clients. Other things we see are nail bed separation at the free edge (usually where tips have been glued on) on people who have become allergic / sensitive to it.

It's worth reading the MSDS (Medical Safety Data Sheets) on these products just to see what you're actually using.
Manufacturer, distributor and trainer for Inverted Moulds. http://www.easynail.co.uk

Check us out on FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/enukinvertednailsystems
(12-19-2012, 10:54 AM)lovethosetoes Wrote: I'm not sure is ibd changed their formula; I would call their customer service line and find out. I use the 5 second glue as a backup when I can't get Backscratchers. Have you tried Backscratchers Stikr? It's the best adhesive! I've been using it for years for wraps, tips and repairs. I absolutely love it!

Chrissy

Gotta second this comment about Backscratcher's adhesive resin. Best around! Been using it since it came out and have had no allergic reactions to clients and with proper care resin based products can hold up quite well, contrary to what ENUK mentioned. In fact, I've had ladies come in who had allergic reactions to other acrylic system and had none with the resin based system I've used through the years.

Give Backscratcher's Resin Adhesive a try. Been around since the 80's so it must be effective, don'tch think?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 8
Views: 5,544
06-05-2017, 02:21 AM
Last Postcosmobeauty
Replies: 4
Views: 6,616
01-07-2017, 10:31 PM