You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Customers at Beauty Schools
I have just started taking clients at my school. I know you need to have a tough skin for this industry but when a client walks in and asks if you are a professional and if you are good at what you do, what am I to think? It just annoys me how they expect perfection from someone who has done maybe 5 sets of nails. =/ Also, the school is in a tiny, pobunk town and people just go there for cheap service (mainly the elderly and parents bring their kids).

Blah, just think I needed to vent.
Just be honest. Tell them you are a student and you are still learning. If they don't like it they can go pay full price somewhere else.
can't stand people like that! I would have told her I was good as I could be given the amount of practice I'd had....."May I practice on you?"......all the time thinking, "Stupid heifer".

You know, I was kind of worried I took too long. I took 3 hours on a gel set a couple days ago and saw that a local salon books you two hours for a full set of gels. I had the cosmo students coming in saying: "You're still in here?" to the student that was getting her nails done. I've heard about people taking 6 hours to do a set! Just feel like I can't get a break around there. They are teenagers though...
you're still in school, so don't worry about the time right now. You haven't had a chance to really learn the shortcuts, tips and tricks of doing gel. Believe me, there are a few. Once you really get the hang of them you'll see that each set gets a little better than the last and a bit faster too, as you gain confidence.
Don't let other techs' times intimidate you, either. There are some that can do a full set of p/w's in under an hour. It takes me 1 hr. 15 min. to do mine and I'm not apologizing for it. I'm comfortable with it even tho, YES, I would like to be faster. Your time is about right considering where you are in your training. When I first started with gels, it took me 2 hrs. and the only reason it didn't take longer was because my experience with doing acrylic helped in some areas.
Awwwwww hun, ya are being too hard on yourself. Where is your instructor during all this? They are the ones who should be standing up to these peeps. But, as the others have said on here, tell 'em ya are a student and if they expect quick nail services then go to the other shops. I'm with ya Donna, those people get on my nerves! Rolleyes
(10-29-2012, 11:02 AM)Luvglitter Wrote: Awwwwww hun, ya are being too hard on yourself. Where is your instructor during all this? They are the ones who should be standing up to these peeps. But, as the others have said on here, tell 'em ya are a student and if they expect quick nail services then go to the other shops. I'm with ya Donna, those people get on my nerves! Rolleyes

That's the problem right there. I was the only nail tech student and another started up again the other week and she is here bi-weekly. The instructor has 50 other cosmo students she has to deal with most of the time. I know she tries her utmost best to help as much as she can though. But, she doesn't have much experience with odorless acrylic and even less with gels so I can't even get good technique help (and I of course am learning school doesn't seem to be the place for that). The school wasn't doing the nail program up until Feb of this year and they rarely have anyone taking the course. I'm about to see if there is anyone in my area that can help me out, I just don't know where to go for it.

Melissa, where are you located?
(10-29-2012, 06:31 PM)jluper7297 Wrote: Melissa, where are you located?

Olympia, WA but I take the course in Centralia, WA.

Aahhhh, you're too far from me. I was hoping you were closer. I would have been more than willing to help out where I could
Aw, well thanks anyways. Any replies on here can be just as helpful to me. You guys are great!
Ha, I remember the good old days wondering how my mouth would keep me out of trouble with those people. Just like everyone said, you are just learning and thats why you are in school, then give them the death stare,, just kidding. It will get better but you will always have one of those people from time to time that treat you like you know nothing.
I fired a client a couple months ago for being so critical of me. She almost cried and then begged for me to take her back. Shes much better and recently bought me a new $60 Entity acrylic brush for a wedding gift.
Hahaaa! How did your husband like the gift?
(10-29-2012, 07:02 PM)jennie Wrote: Ha, I remember the good old days wondering how my mouth would keep me out of trouble with those people. Just like everyone said, you are just learning and thats why you are in school, then give them the death stare,, just kidding. It will get better but you will always have one of those people from time to time that treat you like you know nothing.
I fired a client a couple months ago for being so critical of me. She almost cried and then begged for me to take her back. Shes much better and recently bought me a new $60 Entity acrylic brush for a wedding gift.

Wow! That's awesome! Was the brush something you'd said you wanted or was she that tuned in to our industry? I used my Entity brushes for years til they had to be retired...Sad
Speaking of brushes, I ruined my OPI golden edge brush on that chick. I've tried rescuing with no luck. Sad I have to try and find something else for tomorrow. I can't afford $30 for every brush that gets wrecked! :*(
(10-29-2012, 02:00 PM)Melissa82 Wrote:
(10-29-2012, 11:02 AM)Luvglitter Wrote: Awwwwww hun, ya are being too hard on yourself. Where is your instructor during all this? They are the ones who should be standing up to these peeps. But, as the others have said on here, tell 'em ya are a student and if they expect quick nail services then go to the other shops. I'm with ya Donna, those people get on my nerves! Rolleyes

That's the problem right there. I was the only nail tech student and another started up again the other week and she is here bi-weekly. The instructor has 50 other cosmo students she has to deal with most of the time. I know she tries her utmost best to help as much as she can though. But, she doesn't have much experience with odorless acrylic and even less with gels so I can't even get good technique help (and I of course am learning school doesn't seem to be the place for that). The school wasn't doing the nail program up until Feb of this year and they rarely have anyone taking the course. I'm about to see if there is anyone in my area that can help me out, I just don't know where to go for it.

Oh hun, sorry if I didn't make my self clear. I meant where is your instructor in helping you deal with unreasonable customers. That is her job. If I was you I'd direct the unrealistic customers to her so she can explain to them that this is a school and not to expect perfection. That is part of her job! Hang in there, ya are doing fine!

(10-29-2012, 07:59 PM)Melissa82 Wrote: Speaking of brushes, I ruined my OPI golden edge brush on that chick. I've tried rescuing with no luck. Sad I have to try and find something else for tomorrow. I can't afford $30 for every brush that gets wrecked! :*(

What happened to it, hun? Maybe someone on here can help ya with that problem. Don't kiss it goodbye just yet. Tell us what happened.
I got dried acrylic in it. I spent$20 on a nail video by Carl Anderson aka nailzoo showing how to fix it and I was still not able to rescue it. I'm using OPI clarite odorless.
Well, I had a really bad experience at school today and I've decided I'm not longer using and bringing my own supplies. I'll use whatever the school has, which isn't much. If outside clients and students are going to be cheap and rude, I'm not going to waste my money on them. And here I thought being nice would pay off. Sad
(10-31-2012, 12:38 AM)Melissa82 Wrote: Well, I had a really bad experience at school today and I've decided I'm not longer using and bringing my own supplies. I'll use whatever the school has, which isn't much. If outside clients and students are going to be cheap and rude, I'm not going to waste my money on them. And here I thought being nice would pay off. Sad

If the school expects you to work on clients then, yes, they should provide the product. You definitely should NOT be providing them. It's their job, thats why you pay them the big bucks! Doesn't matter if they provide crappy stuff and the customer complains. If they complain, just smile and say, "it's what the school provides for us to use." Besides the customers who come in there for stuff are getting their service super cheap. If they want the good stuff, they can go to a regular salon.
You can buy pretty good generic nail brushes at most Asian supply stores and on line. There's a place on Face Book called Alpha Nail. I've check out their prices and they're great. I've been told by someone in the know that this co. provides brushes for the larger nail co.'s to put their name on. I used a $10 brush for YEARS with no problems.

I got a $10 square sable brush from Nailite but the bristles are too short for the Clarite. Guess I'll keep looking around. Thanks for the suggestion.
Melissa, next time someone asks if you're a professional, tell them you're not a professional yet.... hence them coming to a school to get their nails done! I think most people that get services at schools know exactly what getting worked on by a student entails. They shouldn't expect that you're the best at doing nails right now. It takes a while to get the feel for it and to get your technique down. You get better with every single nail you do.

So, my point was (:o), most clients understand that and don't expect a "perfect" job. Of course, I live in a small town in Kentucky and it might be a little different here. I'm sorry that you're going through this! Don't let those cheap women get you down! If they want perfect nails, I'm sure there's a foreign nail salon they can go to. These women need to cut you girls some slack!

As far as buying your own supplies.... I would invest in a better brush. And, you can get some nice brushes for under $20. You really want to be using the best brush you can. It really makes a difference in how the nails look when you use most school brushes.

Whew! I wish you good luck!
(10-30-2012, 11:29 AM)Melissa82 Wrote: I got dried acrylic in it. I spent$20 on a nail video by Carl Anderson aka nailzoo showing how to fix it and I was still not able to rescue it. I'm using OPI clarite odorless.

Do you like using this? I had to use it in a competition in school and I never could get a pretty nail with that stuff. Took forever to dry! I hate that you have to learn how to do nails with it. You may love it, I don't know. I just found it difficult to work with.
Nails by Janeen
Albany, KY
I hope things get better for you
Monique_AL
Thanks guys. And no in dont like the odorless but we have to use it. We can use gel which i love but not many know about it and despite my explaining think acrylic is better.
Try a regular round brush. I hated using that square brush I would try to pick up a bead using the corner lol. I know it's recommended for the odorless because it holds less liquid. I still chose to use a round brush in school.
I'd probably wreck that one too, lol.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 1,190
02-16-2016, 06:55 PM
Last Posttips-2-toes
Replies: 59
Views: 60,164