You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Renter! Major advice needed!
Hi everybody! I've been doing nails for 5 years always on comission . I just started at a new salon as a renter. I went out and spent 2000 on products, 250$ for renters insurance and 60 for renters license. This was my first week here at this salon. After every client I throw out the buffer or file unless its a regular client then I save it for them. At other commission salons there was always brand new files and buffers available for me. So yesterday one of the other nail techs seen me throwing out file buffer toe seperaters and flip flops and said "what r u doing!!!!! Ur throwing away money !!!! Ull learn!! " yes I know everything is expensive, yes I have sanitizable files but even after washing them they still look used . I want to get as much use out of my money for sure but also worried what clients are thinking if they see white marks on files & buffers!? Please help!!!
.also .
The tubs are nasty. I'm going in sunday when its closed to scrub everything . Does anybody have a solution to use that is more heavy duty then clorox & detergent 2 run threw?! Im going to take them all apart too to do this and scrub them. Im used to cleaning my tub out with cleaner after EVERY pedicure with hospital grade disinfectant when I did this I was told no no no just spray and wipe no need for that... These r older ladys who have been there over 20 years. How do I get them to change there ways without being the new girl who thinks she knows everything!?!
Hi Jena. You need to keep doing exactly what you are doing! I completely agree with you on the sanitizable files! While i understand why others use them, I also feel that if they don't look new every time...I'm not going to use it! I also use new files, buffers, toe separators etc. on every client. Yes, this is expensive, but my prices are not cheap either. My clients and i both feel that sanitation and disinfection are the most important part of the service! I would NOT stand for those pedicure tubs!! Do you share them? You said you rent, if those pedicure tubs are the owners, I would go to him or her and tell them that what they are doing is against the law and UNSANITARY!!! I would tell them that unless the cleaning procedure changes, you will not be renting there!! Do NOT risk your clients health or your license for this!! It is NOT worth it and your clients will thank you for this!! Good luck!
BTW...I have been doing nails almost 14 years, and NEVER have I reused a file OR not thoroughly cleaned out my pedi tub after every client!
[/color][color=#9400D3]I completely agree with you. I feel the exact same way. This is such a tough business dealing with girls because you know how caddy they can be! I rent 100$ a week! I Have my own Manicure table, and then there are 3 tubs that everybody shares. which i absolutely hate because I'm renting so i should have my own! esp. when they are all set in there ways! .. i brought Clorox in and have been running it threw. Sunday I'm going and litterally scrubbing it all down and taking apart the jets. Ive been there 1 week. i don't think its fair i have to clean for everybody! Since 2008 this is my 3rd salon. i spent 300 on business cards and post cards already to send out to people. i love the atmosphere at this salon everybodys so laid back and nice, except maybe a little too laid back, and they need to clean!! ...... i guess i need to just suck it up and go clean them all , and run threw my own tub before a pedicure every single time and after to ensure its clean. the build up is so bad though its honestly disgusting Ive ran them threw with the bleach 5 times now and a film still comes up and i wipe it out and it does it again i hope i get most of it out on Sunday. another thing that sucks is there is no hose to spray the water into jets to flush them out it just dribbles down from the back of the tub. I hate moving around salons I'm finally just getting settled.. i don't want to be the bad guy but i am just going to have to take it upon myself to clean for everybody and esp. before and after my clients..

thank you for clarifying the file and buffer situation. she literally took my stuff out of the garbage ( other nail tech) and put it back on my table and said firmly " don't you throw those out!! your throwing away money! easily reuseable!) ...sick ! i know! i wouldn't want a used file , even if its sanitized, how would i know that as a client!?! I need to stick to my guns on just using new 1s every single time.

1 more question, you said your prices arnt cheap. I just started and I'm trying to build my clientele. not only do i have 400$ in rent for my table a month but i have about 600 of my own bills, plus keeping up on supplies. This is seriously so scary .

the only way Ive been getting clients to come in is Ive been almost giving services away. everybody always says 42$ for a pedicure is outrageous! ... that's the salons price. then 35 for gel. ... iv been telling people id do 20$ -25 $ pedis to get them in. it stinks because i know I'm very good at what i do. and other girls are getting 42 but the age I'm at and the people i know, wont pay that!

1 more thing so sorry these are so long i have so many questions!

..the salon is doing group on. they sold 1000 of them in 3 hours a few months ago last time they did it. this time they have already sold a ton. i said i would do 1 or 2 a day BC I'm only getting paid 10 DOLLARS for a Mani & pedi TOGETHER,....product costs more then that probally! well...... there's another nail tech and all she does is Nails not pedicures. so 2 girls called to book there group on together. this other nail tech is getting both manicures and I'm getting both pedicures. only thing is they both upgraded to Gel polish which is a 15$ upgrade with group on. OK i do gels too! but since she doesn't do pedis i have to do them so NOT ONLY do i have to split that 20$(for both of them) with her which gives me 10$ total for 2 pedis. she gets 2 upgrades which is a 15+15 dollar value (30$) plus another 10$ for the group-on! how is that fair to me!? esp when they will most likely come back , TO HER , to get it removed and possibly put back on. the appointments are already scheduled and theres nothing i can do, except be so discouraged about this. Sad am i being a baby and should i just suck it up because I'm new?!

I just really hope i make it in this career , as long as i have clients booking ill be fine. Its a scary thing though! i don't want to end up in the negatives money wise!! I'm 22 years old and only just beginning!
I don't know where you are and it probably doesn't really matter. Is this a busy salon? I hope so. For me,in my area, the rent would be too much to start out. Did you check Vistaprint for business cards and post cards- they have some great designs and pricing is good- you can get some free stuff from time to time.( Ihave paid for a couple notebooks, about 7.00 plus postage and got free business cards, stationary, post cards, etc. Came out with over $100 for about $15) As for the groupons- I HATE them. The only ones making anything is Groupon. I moved into a salon and had the same situation. Thankfully the ladies tipped very well. As far as client retention from a groupon, I have found there is almost none- the people that do them are looking for a deal and don't care where they find it. I finally told the lady where I was I would not do any more groupons. As for the cleaning- what is more important to you? your standards and state board or taking a chance on an inspector shutting you down. I know, it should not all be on you. Maybe they will get a hint when they see you cleaning. If they hand you files and things out of the trash, I feel their standards are very low. But to stop any arguements take them, put in a plastic bag, and throw them out at home. Also, I have to think that you didn't check this salon out before you went there. ALWAYS go see the place before you accept a job offer. Talking to someone on the phone can get you in all sorts of mes- I know- been there, done that. You have put out a lot of money for this and I hope it goes well. Being a baby and sucking up? NO Keep your standards high and expect it from others. Just because you are new, doesn't mean you can't rock the boat a bit anyway. You are a booth renter- your own boss. No one in the salon is your boss but you. If you want to do some discounts to get some clients in, that is up to you. You can set your own prices. I would call other salons in the area and do some price checking, and along with the prices in your salon, decide what you want to charge. All operators' prices don't have to be the same. Sorry I got long. I wish you the best.
Always be kind....you get farther.
The disinfection of the pedicures chairs would be enough reason to vacate the salon. With aging clientele and disease you are at a HUGE risk. Just wondering did you purchase liability insurance? And it's not just about the money. I would imagine you would feel horrible having caused someone injury. In your post you seemingly are very concerned about sanitation and disinfection so that alone will continue to nag at your sense of professionalism, and concern for your clients safety.
(10-19-2012, 07:39 PM)JennaLynnG Wrote: Hi everybody! I've been doing nails for 5 years always on comission . I just started at a new salon as a renter. I went out and spent 2000 on products, 250$ for renters insurance and 60 for renters license. This was my first week here at this salon. After every client I throw out the buffer or file unless its a regular client then I save it for them. At other commission salons there was always brand new files and buffers available for me. So yesterday one of the other nail techs seen me throwing out file buffer toe seperaters and flip flops and said "what r u doing!!!!! Ur throwing away money !!!! Ull learn!! " yes I know everything is expensive, yes I have sanitizable files but even after washing them they still look used . I want to get as much use out of my money for sure but also worried what clients are thinking if they see white marks on files & buffers!? Please help!!!
.also .
The tubs are nasty. I'm going in sunday when its closed to scrub everything . Does anybody have a solution to use that is more heavy duty then clorox & detergent 2 run threw?! Im going to take them all apart too to do this and scrub them. Im used to cleaning my tub out with cleaner after EVERY pedicure with hospital grade disinfectant when I did this I was told no no no just spray and wipe no need for that... These r older ladys who have been there over 20 years. How do I get them to change there ways without being the new girl who thinks she knows everything!?!

Also, hate to burst your bubble, but..... Unless you are disinfecting the files that your regular clients are leaving behind, they will produce bacteria that can be harmful to that client when they return.
You can't give your services away. You will never make anything that way or build your credibility. The longer you have been doing nails the more you should charge as well. You have to cover your costs but you also have to pay yourself what you are worth. My pedicures are $55 and my mani's are $35, and soon to be $60 and $40. The average manicure here is $18 -$23 and the average pedicure is $25 -$33. I have a full clientele and am in high demand. I do not cut corners, and I use top of the line products. My clients have told me they would pay much more for the services I give them, and soon they will. I am in an area where there are salons on every corner, both non standard and what is considered reputable. I have a standing waiting list to get in. My prices reflect my experience and my level of professionalism as well. You should make sure that you do the same. It is not about pricing it high because you can, it is about pricing to the level that you deserve! Group on is such a rip off and I would not recommend to anyone even if they just started building. Most of those people will not come back,just looking for the next deal. You lose tons of money! If you are a renter you DO NOT have to honor these if they did this before you came. This is something you have to agree on as a renter! That is on the owner if that is who set this up! I would tell the owner that if she wants your rent, you will not do any of these or at least stick to the two a day that you said you would do. You have to have paying clients to meet your needs. You are not being a baby about this, it seems to me that you are being the only smart and responsible one there! Stick to your guns girl!! Wink
Thank you guys sooo much for the advice! It has really helped me feel more confident!

@ nail junky (sorry don't know your real name. How did you start? Build your clientele? & how long have you been doing nails. I am willing to work as many hours needed & not ever turn anybody down! You are my idol haha I want back to back apointments everyday all day! please tell me my best bet on how to accomplish this!!! I know I do an great job , go above and beyond... Never had a complant. I want a waiting list!!!! Please help me reach this !!! Smile Smile
Don't feel bad, this post is going to be long too!

First: are these pedi TUBS? Like massaging foot baths that you carry from sink to chair? Or are they spa chairs with plumbing and jets?

It kinda sounds like you might dealing with hard water stains in the tubs. Leaves that ucky white residue that's almost impossible to scrub out. If that's the case, it doesn't necessarily mean they aren't "clean," but they DO look gross. Try some white vinegar, bleach won't help.

What state are you in? DO NOT keep those files/buffers even if they'll only be used on the same client. If they can't be disinfected between uses they are still contaminated and must be disposed of. (You wash your dishes after you eat off of them right? Even if you're the only one who eats off them? And your underwear-- you're the only one who wears those, but you still WASH them between wearing, right?)

Sit down and do some serious math, you should be able to find files/buffers/sanding bands in bulk for a low enough price to make it cost effective to dispose of them after each use. Or give them to the client for their personal use-- they really like that. Just make sure they understand that they are NOT supposed to bring it back!

Tell the other techs to butt out-- sweetly, of course. Just let them know that you've been doing a lot of research and are finding that you'd rather offer a top-notch service that save a few pennies on stuff that doesn't even work all that well when you re-use it anyway.

If you are renting, you should be able to provide your own pedi tub if you choose to. Just make sure you keep it under lock and key so you can make sure no one else is using it.

As far as the Groupon goes-- as a renter, who wasn't involved in the initial decision to offer the deal-- you should be able to opt out of redeeming those offers. However-- even if it's only $10, if that's time that you would have spent sitting around waiting for walk ins or for the phone to ring, you might as well get $10 for that time rather than $0.

Consider offering those Groupon customers a deal for rebooking-- like maybe if you can talk them into another pedi at full price you could offer a mani for free? It'll have to be a really good deal in order to convert Groupon clients, but it's worth a try to convince them into coming back-- or at least leaving you some awesome reviews online.

It sounds like you like the salon and your co-workers. A good fit can be hard to come by, and it can be darn near impossible to find a salon-- especially a booth rent salon-- where everyone is going to live up to your professional expectations. If you really like it there, stay-- just make sure you keep your professional integrity and don't get lazy or let anyone peer-pressure you into slacking!
Maggie Franklin: Art of Nailz, Visalia CA
http://blogs.nailsmag.com/maggie
http://www.artofnailz.biz

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 7
Views: 3,844
07-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Last PostAndii Fe