You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School not allowed to teach e-file. What to do?
I have been advised that the schools in WA are not authorized to teach e-file use. Sad My plan is to take a YN course on acrylics or gels, depending on what I prefer after I get my license. Until then, what is the best way to train on one of these? What is a good e-file for me to purchase?
Check with kupa
J Pham
No boundaries, just possibility.

http://www.facebook.com/jphamfb
Ya it depends on what ur budget is. There was a discussion like a week ago where we were talking about a good- affordable efile. The PNI runs about $129... i think...or maybe its closer to $200. Do a search on efiles/drills and see if that thread pops up. The Kupa upower is the one ive been using and is a great drill. Tje Erica Mt 20 is one of the best- and most expensive...but thank goodness their is pretty much a good starter one out there for every budget. Oh-- and the best way to get a good feel for pressure and stuff is just practicing on yourslef and some loyal friends. Dont worry if you tear them up..lol..weve all been there and it just takes practice to learn hoe fast and how much pressure etc..... good luck w everytg Wink
" Take time.....to be kind".....
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
Gotsa practice on yourself, hun! Best way to learn how it feels to hold the unit, how much pressure, what speed, etc. Butcha gots to be very careful and use a very light touch and makes sure ya only use it on top of product and don't file into your nail. Check out the Medicool files.
Thanks for the info. I guess I'm trying to hold off on buying any large purchases until I am employed or get me own business license so I can write it off as an expense. I really want to get the Kupa...

Practicing on myself, eh? Guess it's what I have to do, lol... and my husband. He'll be my guinea pig too. Tongue
There are 2 PNI models. One is $100 and the other is $125. I got the model that is $125 and it's a pretty nice looking unit. I haven't gotten a chance to play with it yet but I have heard from others who have it that it works well.
If you can afford a practice hand, I highly recommend getting one. Not only can you use it to practice with an e-file without wrecking your own nails (or your hubbies), you can also use it to practice hard gel or acrylic, gel polish, regular polish, nail art, etc.

Every so often you can find one on here in swap and shop.

I have been doing nails for over 10 years and still use mine when learning something new.
Definitely practice on something else BEFORE practicing on yourself! It is more tricky to do it on yourself than on a client and you will likely cut yourself here and there, which doesn't inspire confidence. I wouldn't wait to start learning until after you are out of school, I've known too many people who just never felt confident with the e-file and so decide to only do natural nails or just hand file everything. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with either, but why limit yourself?

If you can't afford a training hand, get some wood dowels the size of fingers, cut them into short lengths, put red polish (thin) on them. Now apply product and file away, if you nick the red you know you hit the natural nail. Smile Where are you located again? I am up in Stanwood, WA - if you want to come up some time I would be happy to go over e-filing with you.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
I never used one professionally because we didn't learn it in school, and most of my clients loved the fact that I only did hand filing, so I just continued to hand file. I did use one on myself sometimes though, and I agree that you will figure it out fairly quickly that way.
(09-21-2012, 10:37 AM)CandiceAE Wrote: Definitely practice on something else BEFORE practicing on yourself! It is more tricky to do it on yourself than on a client and you will likely cut yourself here and there, which doesn't inspire confidence. I wouldn't wait to start learning until after you are out of school, I've known too many people who just never felt confident with the e-file and so decide to only do natural nails or just hand file everything. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with either, but why limit yourself?

If you can't afford a training hand, get some wood dowels the size of fingers, cut them into short lengths, put red polish (thin) on them. Now apply product and file away, if you nick the red you know you hit the natural nail. Smile Where are you located again? I am up in Stanwood, WA - if you want to come up some time I would be happy to go over e-filing with you.

Thanks, that would be great! I'm not too far, in Olympia. Once I decided which e-file I'm going to get, I'll let you know.

I'm actually waiting on a hand trainer from the Gina Wallace site. I ordered it last week but they are back ordered until next week some time.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Awwww it isn't that hard to practice on yourself. Ya just got to be careful. If you are only filing on product there is no damage to your nail. Could also practice on a tip with product on it. Did it on me during school and never had any issues with my nails. These are inexpensive ways to practice till ya can take a class.

I remember seeing, a while back, someone posted about polishing your nails, two coats of polish of two different colors. When you file through the one color w/o going through the second coat that will teach ya how to have a light touch and not cause any damage. Might give that a go and see how that does for ya.

And if ya buy an e-file while you are in school that is a write off hun.
(09-21-2012, 11:27 PM)Luvglitter Wrote: Awwww it isn't that hard to practice on yourself. Ya just got to be careful. If you are only filing on product there is no damage to your nail. Could also practice on a tip with product on it. Did it on me during school and never had any issues with my nails. These are inexpensive ways to practice till ya can take a class.

I remember seeing, a while back, someone posted about polishing your nails, two coats of polish of two different colors. When you file through the one color w/o going through the second coat that will teach ya how to have a light touch and not cause any damage. Might give that a go and see how that does for ya.

I can't right it off because it isn't an expense since they are not allowed to teach it. Sad

Another thing is make sure if u go for a Kupa to get one of the Upowers and not their cheapest model ( the proper name has left me at the moment) they dont vibrate at all and will last much longer and you can change the innards of the efile itself and give it a "tune up"... so if u baby it it will last a long time. One thing is make sure you make it a habit to take out any bit..wether its a sanding band/ mandrel or what...if you drop it with the bit in it you can actually ruin it and that is a
mistake that will be so expensive.
Sorry lost my place... so ya..make it a habit from the get go cuz accidents happen..and u can get pretty inexpensive bits and sanding bands from Nailite. I think their carbides are only like $8 bucks and mandrel are under a dollar. You will more than likely only need a few different ones to start. Def get a small carbide barrel and a cpl of mandrels...but only use the carbide on the actual acrylic.
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
I just found out I can get up to 60 hours training at a nail salon outside of my school! Big Grin So, I'm thinking I'll be getting a drill sooner than later. I want the kupa upower 2g but I'll have to save up.
Good!!! Cant go wrong with the Upower!! U will love it!! Good luck sweetie!!Wink
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
(09-22-2012, 01:14 AM)Melissa82 Wrote:
(09-21-2012, 11:27 PM)Luvglitter Wrote: Awwww it isn't that hard to practice on yourself. Ya just got to be careful. If you are only filing on product there is no damage to your nail. Could also practice on a tip with product on it. Did it on me during school and never had any issues with my nails. These are inexpensive ways to practice till ya can take a class.

I can't right it off because it isn't an expense since they are not allowed to teach it. Sad

Check with ya tax person. It is nail related and anything to do with the nail business, which is the biz ya are going into, is a write off. Doesn't matter if they teach it or not from what I understand.

I learned to e-file by practicing on myself. There were lots of "ouches", but you learn fast that way about pressure. There is so excellent advice here, and it's true that if you have a few special clients they may let you "use" them. I am so grateful to those people who did that for me. But, for the most part, I hand file and my clients prefer that. Also Youtube videos are very good. But it's like everythings else you do...practice. Also, to be truthful, I don't need an e-file very much as I am a real proponet of natural nails. Gel polish has revolutionized my business. I do have a Kupa and when I need it it is great. Good Luck and have fun!
Remember: God puts us where he wants us to be.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 0
Views: 1,145
06-08-2015, 02:37 PM
Last PostTheGlamApp
Replies: 1
Views: 2,180
06-20-2014, 04:07 PM