You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washington Tech's - Nail tech Program
Hey there! I'm trying to find a nail tech school to go to near Olympia, WA but i'm having a tough time. I was thinking about Evergreen but it is almost 2 hrs away from me. It'd be a far drive and hard on the wallet gas wise (but I am thinking about it and going on the 22nd to check it out). Does anyone else know of some reputable schools that can check out closer to me? Thanks!
(09-06-2012, 06:33 PM)Melissa82 Wrote: Hey there! I'm trying to find a nail tech school to go to near Olympia, WA but i'm having a tough time. I was thinking about Evergreen but it is almost 2 hrs away from me. It'd be a far drive and hard on the wallet gas wise (but I am thinking about it and going on the 22nd to check it out). Does anyone else know of some reputable schools that can check out closer to me? Thanks!

I went to Manning here in Vancouver. Not sure if that would make it and better thought. It is a great school if that help.
"To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I'm working on the foundation."
Marilyn Monroe
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000798439789
(09-06-2012, 07:43 PM)sachi Wrote:
(09-06-2012, 06:33 PM)Melissa82 Wrote: Hey there! I'm trying to find a nail tech school to go to near Olympia, WA but i'm having a tough time. I was thinking about Evergreen but it is almost 2 hrs away from me. It'd be a far drive and hard on the wallet gas wise (but I am thinking about it and going on the 22nd to check it out). Does anyone else know of some reputable schools that can check out closer to me? Thanks!

I went to Manning here in Vancouver. Not sure if that would make it and better thought. It is a great school if that help.

Thanks, nice to know there is another one but it's farther than Evergreen is from me.

If you decide on Evergreen I would really ask about the teacher - Someone who's only been doing nails for a little over a year (who told me she is "just ok" at doing them) told me she was offered a position there teaching nails...
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
(09-06-2012, 10:12 PM)CandiceAE Wrote: If you decide on Evergreen I would really ask about the teacher - Someone who's only been doing nails for a little over a year (who told me she is "just ok" at doing them) told me she was offered a position there teaching nails...

That is really interesting, thanks for the info.

I can't seem to find any nail tech programs with good reviews and it's rather frustrating. The program at Evergreen is 5 months long with 3 days a week (10 hours a day) and costs $6300. There are others for half of the price a little closer to me but not nationally accredited beauty schools. Is the accreditation that important if they are licensed with WA?

I want to be a nail tech, I want excellent schooling and it's driving me crazy trying to find info. I'm 30 years old and don't want to end up at some high schoolers course, lol!

The school I went to wasn't nationally accredited at the time (was supposed to be the better school though), and I wasn't terribly impressed with the teacher - but here I am doing nails! And yes, going to nail school WAS like going back to high school, it shocked me, and I was 37 when I went! Most people seem to agree that the schools really just teach you to pass the state board exam, you need to seek outside training even while you're in school! I got REALLY lucky and Tracey Rierson from Young Nails offered one on one sessions for FREE in Redding at the time, she taught me how to use my e-file and a ton of art techniques while I was still in school.

So, regardless of the school, be ready to take charge of your education, find a mentor, and practice on your own time.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
(09-07-2012, 11:12 AM)CandiceAE Wrote: The school I went to wasn't nationally accredited at the time (was supposed to be the better school though), and I wasn't terribly impressed with the teacher - but here I am doing nails! And yes, going to nail school WAS like going back to high school, it shocked me, and I was 37 when I went! Most people seem to agree that the schools really just teach you to pass the state board exam, you need to seek outside training even while you're in school! I got REALLY lucky and Tracey Rierson from Young Nails offered one on one sessions for FREE in Redding at the time, she taught me how to use my e-file and a ton of art techniques while I was still in school.

So, regardless of the school, be ready to take charge of your education, find a mentor, and practice on your own time.

Yes, thank you for reinforcing that info for me. It is something I have recognized would be happening once I got in to this profession. I was just telling my husband yesterday I get to go to California for a bunch of awesome classes to learn more if I wanted to, lol.

I noticed there are some colleges that offer manicure programs in the surrounding area. I just moved from out of state in April so it probably means I'd have to wait another 7 months before I can get in state tuition, bleh. I'll look in to it. I'm just really afraid of signing up for a program and then feeling like it wasn't as good as it could be and that I wasted my time and money.

Well, I've spent the last few days scouring the net, and making calls. No one in the area has a nail tech program and the few that do are your chop shop type. Sad I really have to think about if I want to go to Evergreen or not.
Did you know that you can get licensed by apprenticeship in WA? I just did a quick google, it's a 2000 hour program... And you actually get PAID to learn! I just left a message to find out what's involved from the salon standpoint, that might be a great way to go! I believe there's a two year commitment to work for the salon once the apprenticeship is complete - it looks like there are several salons in Western WA who participate... Something to look into!
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
(09-07-2012, 05:15 PM)CandiceAE Wrote: Did you know that you can get licensed by apprenticeship in WA? I just did a quick google, it's a 2000 hour program... And you actually get PAID to learn! I just left a message to find out what's involved from the salon standpoint, that might be a great way to go! I believe there's a two year commitment to work for the salon once the apprenticeship is complete - it looks like there are several salons in Western WA who participate... Something to look into!

Great, thanks!

I found a PDF online about it. I'm really going to look in to this!

$6300 for nail!!!!! OMG...... Mine was $3200 I think? Yeah I would find another school. and to tell the truth I learned more on line then I ever learned in school. The sad fact is that you really do not learn much. You get your licence then you start learning. Watch all the stuff you can on line while you are in school.
"To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I'm working on the foundation."
Marilyn Monroe
(09-08-2012, 09:16 PM)sachi Wrote: $6300 for nail!!!!! OMG...... Mine was $3200 I think? Yeah I would find another school. and to tell the truth I learned more on line then I ever learned in school. The sad fact is that you really do not learn much. You get your licence then you start learning. Watch all the stuff you can on line while you are in school.

I believe $3200 is how much it costs at the local beauty college. It's the type that the high schooler's go to and pay less to attend. I'm concerned about the quality of teaching I will receive but like it was mentioned earlier and by you, I'd be doing most of my learning on my own by CE or looking online.

I emailed a salon in Federal Way (40 mins away from me) that partakes in the apprenticeship program (I called but they said to email the owner), so I'll wait on that. I'm still going to check out Evergreen on the 22nd and check out Quality Beauty College in town here this week.

Every place I've called has suggested Clover Park Technical in Tacoma but they got rid of the program and only have Cosmetology now. I guess Gene Juarez used to have it as well but not anymore.

Does no one want to be a nail tech anymore? How do they even get certified if there is nowhere to go, lol?

(09-08-2012, 09:23 PM)Melissa82 Wrote:
(09-08-2012, 09:16 PM)sachi Wrote: $6300 for nail!!!!! OMG...... Mine was $3200 I think? Yeah I would find another school. and to tell the truth I learned more on line then I ever learned in school. The sad fact is that you really do not learn much. You get your licence then you start learning. Watch all the stuff you can on line while you are in school.

I believe $3200 is how much it costs at the local beauty college. It's the type that the high schooler's go to and pay less to attend. I'm concerned about the quality of teaching I will receive but like it was mentioned earlier and by you, I'd be doing most of my learning on my own by CE or looking online.

I emailed a salon in Federal Way (40 mins away from me) that partakes in the apprenticeship program (I called but they said to email the owner), so I'll wait on that. I'm still going to check out Evergreen on the 22nd and check out Quality Beauty College in town here this week.

Every place I've called has suggested Clover Park Technical in Tacoma but they got rid of the program and only have Cosmetology now. I guess Gene Juarez used to have it as well but not anymore.

Does no one want to be a nail tech anymore? How do they even get certified if there is nowhere to go, lol?

its not that they don't want to be a nail tech its that the market is over run by NSS but do not let the make you think that you will not make money. The market is turning around and people understand you get what you pay for. I know that you make think you will get a poor education at the school in town but you will get the education YOU want. Like I did. I would be more then happy to have you come and sit with me at my home and show you things I did not learn in school and I am sure many ladies would be willing to point you in the direction of sites that will help you the most.

One that taught me a ton!!! was Young Nails site. WOW! He has so much for you to learn watch it again and a again. And the fingernailfixer on you tube is not just shellac!

come find me Smile https://www.facebook.com/sachi.whitsett
Marilyn Monroe
I can vouch for that. I work in Bellevue and we have an NSS in the same strip mall as our salon. I make enough doing natural nails only, and working three days a week, to comfortably pay all my bills and have a little left over. I'm not an owner either, just an employee on commission. Most of our clients will not go to an NSS, and we stay plenty busy.

You will learn more by actually working than in school, so don't stress out too much about that. Just go wherever will be most convenient and costeffective.
In Florida the school is 4 months. 11:30-2:45 M-F. It is 700.00. It is taught by Asians. I called the state board to see if there were any schools taught by English speaking individuals, they thought that was funny. :-) All the other places are 50+ miles from home. I've been doing nails since 1982. A well rounded education will not happen within the perimeters of school. Pay your dues to procure your license and educate yourself at least 4 times per year. That means attending classes, conferences and shows.
Thank for all of the feedback, it is so appreciated! I guess when it comes down to it, I could go to the local school and use that extra cash for furthering my education the way I would like. I've been watching Young Nails videos for quite some time now and I really enjoy them.
(09-08-2012, 09:16 PM)sachi Wrote: its not that they don't want to be a nail tech its that the market is over run by NSS but do not let the make you think that you will not make money. The market is turning around and people understand you get what you pay for. I know that you make think you will get a poor education at the school in town but you will get the education YOU want. Like I did. I would be more then happy to have you come and sit with me at my home and show you things I did not learn in school and I am sure many ladies would be willing to point you in the direction of sites that will help you the most.

One that taught me a ton!!! was Young Nails site. WOW! He has so much for you to learn watch it again and a again. And the fingernailfixer on you tube is not just shellac!

come find me Smile https://www.facebook.com/sachi.whitsett

Thanks, I added you! Smile

I absolutely agree with the other posters. If you take the local education at half the cost, you can take the rest of the money you would have spent on the other program and travel to other classes and shows. The real learning begins once you leave school. Good luck with your decision Smile
Laura Merzetti
http://www.scratchmyback.ca
CND Education Ambassador
Toronto, Ontario Canada
Continuing ed is really nice to have, but don't feel as if you have to spend a ton of money on it to make a decent living. I've only done a couple of classes since I started over eight years ago, and they were all ones paid for by my employers.
I called the college in Everett again (the one that is 1.5-2 hrs from me). I asked them how come their tuition was double the cost of all the others and how it was different and all he could say is "I know our graduation level is higher." He told me to come in and take a look and figure it out for myself, pretty much. You'd think as an admission counselor he'd have a bit more to say about the program. =/
Can you ask them to give you the names of three individuals who graduated in the past year that you can talk to? If they feel like their program is strong they should have no trouble giving references. Smile
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
(09-10-2012, 02:13 PM)CandiceAE Wrote: Can you ask them to give you the names of three individuals who graduated in the past year that you can talk to? If they feel like their program is strong they should have no trouble giving references. Smile

I've even been to their facebook page and I asked for some feedback from students. The owner replied to me: "Wow Melissa. That is far. If this is something you really want to do and if you like this school, then you may want to pay a visit and see for yourself if you are going to be able to make the drive. Just so that you know, we do have students that come from that area as well. Maybe you can find a carpool buddy Big Grin We have some students right now driving from Aberdeen, Olympia, Fort Lewis, & the Tacoma area and everything in between all the way up here. So you are not alone." Only one student who graduated replied to my message. She said: "I went to school there for that program. You will love the educator. The Trieu family is amazing." And that is it. I guess I'll try again. The thing is, I only get to speak with one person when I call and it's the admissions guy. I don't know why they think it's easy for me to just come up and visit when I'm so far away. I'd like it if they could market the school to me a bit more if they want my money so bad, lol.

Oh my goodness guys! I am so excited! I contacted the school in my area, Centralia Beauty College (same thing as Quality Beauty College but the location that does nails is Centralia). The woman was so nice and helpful. She is a licensed esthetician, nail tech and educator. She said that the course is $2900 (you save about $200 if you pay up front, it's normally $3100) and it's 4 days a week (Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday) 8:30am-5pm. She is willing to work around my work schedule allowing me to come in at 11 instead of 8:30. I guess they have 9 students right now they are at different points in the program. She was going over what the kit comes with. They use OPI Clarite, IBD gel and ASP wraps. I can't get over how nice she was! She was saying that she would help me with things that aren't in the outline, such as pink in white. Basically, if I want to learn it, she will show me. Her last 4 students passed the state licensing with 96-100%. I can start anytime! I'm going to go by there some time this week once I speak to my employer.

I can't contain my excitement!
That's awesome! My nail program was 3500, and that was nine years ago, so that's a good price. Have fun!
Good luck at the program! I just happened to get on BT for the first time in quite awhile, and I was going to say that Evergreen would be much too far including traffic - the traffic between Olympia in rush hour would mean a 3hr drive each way.

Glad you found somewhere close by that will work for you! You seem passionate and thats HUGE in this industry. Smile
Jessica Hoel
Nail Professional
Akzentz Distributor & Educator
http://www.luvnailz.com
Thanks! it really isn't the best school but I've been reading that it seems to be the norm in this industry. My teacher is awesome but she torn between teaching me and the cosmo students. Oh well, could be worse, lol!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 3
Views: 1,022
06-14-2017, 10:51 AM
Last Postfurs
Replies: 29
Views: 108,764
05-12-2017, 07:44 PM