You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can SOGP really "wreck" your nails?
I've had many clients now claim that they tried Shellac and it wrecked their nails. I will always ask how it was removed and almost always they will describe the same method we use at out salon (acetone, cotton, and foil). They say things like it took months for their nails to get back to normal, and I don't know what to say because I just don't see why that would happen.

When clients ask me about SOGP I always tell them that it cannot damage their natural nails, but I don't want to be giving anyone false info. The worst thing I have actually seen on my regular clients is a little dryness from the removal, and that is fairly easily fixed.
(08-30-2012, 09:17 PM)crweixelman Wrote: I've had many clients now claim that they tried Shellac and it wrecked their nails. I will always ask how it was removed and almost always they will describe the same method we use at out salon (acetone, cotton, and foil). They say things like it took months for their nails to get back to normal, and I don't know what to say because I just don't see why that would happen.

When clients ask me about SOGP I always tell them that it cannot damage their natural nails, but I don't want to be giving anyone false info. The worst thing I have actually seen on my regular clients is a little dryness from the removal, and that is fairly easily fixed.

Perhaps the previous tech scraped the Shellac for removal instead of allowing the acetone to soak off completely or they used a efile on the natural nails to prep OR they use a Shellac imposter. ??

I would not tell clients that a product 'cannot' damage your nails. JMO
Anna
I was just thinking about posting a similar question. SOGP does weaken the nail. I assume because its not breathing like it does with laquer. Before I became licensed I tried Shellac and was so mad about the weakening becaus I naturally have very long strong nails. I have since tried it twice more and the same issue. People tell me all of the time they like having a lasting color but unless you are committed to having sogp every time you are screwed. I do agree about that. IMO it's kind of like enhancements in that if you plan on soaking off without replacement you need to give your nails some time to get back to normal.
NY Licensed Nail + Waxing Tech
Owner/Developer Suite Tee
http://www.Facebook.com/TashawnaH
Instagram: @SuiteTee
Have you tried applying a thin layer of hard gel first? I've seen a few interesting post on that technique.
Companies can preach til they are blue in the face, I know my clients, some more than others, all have some weakened nails from the gel polish. I DO NOT scrape or buff and still have some with weak nails. I have heard the other nail tech I work with tell people shellac makes their nails stronger and it makes me so mad she misleads them. Its just a matter of time they figure it out. Just like acrylics, its a commitment, you either wear them or you dont.
I can't use hard gel. The salon I work for is natural nails only and doesn't do any kind of enhancements. I guess I am puzzled because I haven't seen any weakening or damage to speak of on either me or my regular clients. When I take it off of myself my nails are no different than they were before, even after wearing it for several months straight. What would you suggest I tell clients when they ask me if SOG will damage their nails?
Cuticle oil, cuticle oil, cuticle oil. If a client wants to start wearing gel polish on a regular basis, I explain to them that if they are not going to be totally and completely committed to using cuticle oil every single day, preferably applied at bedtime, I do not recommend that they have gel polish applied. Plain and simple.

I explain that they cannot expect to keep healthy nails with a soak off service if they are not willing to make this committment.

At every appointment with repeat clients, I ask them if they are using their cuticle oil. I am really insistant about it and they are all starting to get the point that it is critical for this type of service's success.

I have only had one client so far that seemed to actually be allergic to the gel polish, otherwise all of the clients who have been getting gel polish regularly and use cuticle oil faithfully have had no problems with their nails. Cuticle oil is critical for success.

(I have been suggesting cuticle oil for my clients toes as well, and I have seen some huge improvements in some of my clients toenails.)
@Tashawna: nails DO NOT breathe.

I only do natural nail services and Shellac because of its no-stress "pep" and removal. I myself have been using Shellac back-to-back for two years and my nails have never been better. About 80% of my clients use Shellac and absolutely love it. Solar oil twice daily is an absolute must to prevent nail dryness. I explain this to all of my clients before they even choose the service. Even CND will tell you, Shellac is not for everyone. Clients with very, very weak nails, very ridged nails, very overall dry nails, will not do too well with the acetone. Some clients have a tendency to dry out easily-er than others. On clients that Shellac is not ideal for, I recommend that they either only use it on special occasions or take regular breaks from using it. SOGP, just like other gels, acrylics, or even just polish, do not damage the nail. Improper prep, removal, and maintenance damage the nails Smile.
I'll second the statement, nails do NOT breathe Smile

I use Mani-Q & Gelish, I do a double layer of base coat so that I can e-file off (look on Young Nails site for a video of Greg doing this using their safety bit) and my clients - every one - has healthier nails than when they started. Every one of them. Most don't use cuticle oil - though many lie and say they do Smile

All this leads me to believe it is the acetone causing the damage. Maybe YN has recognized this and that's why they started teaching people to file off...
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
Do you just file off the color and leave some of the base? Unfortunately we don't have/use e-files either and I can't imagine trying to handfile it off. I could see why that might work better though.
I think that the truth is that SOGPs don't damage nails (which don't breathe), but that techs/DIYers using SOGPs can and sometimes do. I have done my own SOGP manis and pedis for 18 months now and personally, even without anything on them, my nails are much stronger now than before SOGPs.

There are lots of ways that nails can be damaged when using SOGPs. The first is excessive buffing/filing/shine removal prior to application. For many SOGPs, you needn't buff at all, but with all of them if you buff, you should only buff new growth. Constant buffing of the entire nail will result in thin, weak nails. Another way nails can be damaged is at the matrix from excessive or poorly done cuticle work - I find that often happens as people try to extend the life of a SOGP manicure by aggressively pushing back the eponychium. Improper application can also cause damage - if product is applied so that it touches or floods the eponychium. Nails don't breathe, but the eponychium and matrix are living tissue. Also, damage is done is in not using the right aftercare. Dry nails and cuticles are ripe for damage.

Another place damage occurs is in the removal. Acetone is a pretty safe solvent but soaking in a bowl can be very drying and dryness can allow damage to occur. Even using wraps can be damaging if you scrape. Doug Schoon has an interesting particle that shows the damage - http://www.schoonscientific.com/eblast/e...Happen.htm More damage can be done when people file off residual product.

So I think that ultimately all we can say to our clients is that "properly applied, maintained and removed" SOGPs will not damage your nails.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 4
Views: 3,205
12-17-2012, 12:06 AM
Last PostNailTech.com
sobeit
Replies: 7
Views: 5,549