You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP WITH OPI GELCOLOUR SYSTEM
Hello all,

I am using the OPI gelcolour system with an LED/UV lamp. I use the OPI base coat, OPI top coat and OPI gelcolour in Samoan Sand.
The problem is:

a) The gelcolour 'Samoan Sand' is not the same as its OPI counterpart nail polish colour. It is more orangey/peachy.
b) The colour seems to shrink from the edges once cured.
c) I may be doing something wrong here but the whole finished nail once finally cured with top coat can be simply peeled off in one go as it does not seem to stick!Sad
Do you think it's because I need to shake the bottles for longer or may be I have the curing times wrong. Under LED it says 30 secs per layer.
I've even thought about using another brand polish in between the OPI base and top coat as I really don't like the gelcolour Samoan Sand as it is far to orangey. Is this possible?

Please do advise as I am really stuck on what to do and want to give the OPI system a chance before I try something else.

I love the OPI gel system!.You have to really shake the bottles thoroughly,as they are a little runny than any other gel polishes I work with. When I first worked with the system,I had to put the colors on super thin,and apply three coats with darker polishes,making sure you cap the free edges even with base and top.I believe cure time with UV lamp is 1-2-3,for base color and top coat.Hope that helps!
Thank you for your advice. I am going to try again!!!
I was excited for OPI Gelcolor, and am still having clients complain that they peel off within days. I just had a client text me today that said the "A Good Man-darin is hard to find" came off, just peeled up, after 3 days. She has been wearing Shellac and Gelish with no problems. I'm frustrated....I've tried shaking it like crazy, applying thin, everything the company recommends and that I have read on here, and no success. It even pools in the cuticle area in several of the colors. Not a fan. Sad
~Amy~
I stopped using it ,and my friend who does nails in the next town ,stopped taking clients who want Gelcolor. Everyone in the shop she is at is having problems with it ,and they are using the complete system and had someone from the company come give them hands on tutorial...
Really?? Problems with the gelcolor....shocking......
Sorrg..im being cynical..been saying that 3 months BEFORE it even was being sold...nobody believes what the stupid tech from Ohio says tho.....pooling.....shrinking from the FE...ya..i posted all of that. But certain someones just shoot down the honest problems we have because OPI is on some sort of pedestal or something????
Well..if its not working for ya...i suggest try something else...bcuz it does have issues. But honestly i dont think every line is perfect. Some just have less issues..Smile
" Take time.....to be kind".....
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
I don't use OPI with it's base, I use the Gelish base and I've no problems with it. If I remember correctly, I did use base and color and the client told me the stuff was peeling off but I can't remember if I cured the base the one minute instead of 30 seconds like the Gelish base....that could have been what the problem was.

I use a lot of NSI and IBD and have no problems with them peeling or chipping and I use the Gelish base.
Im sorry I have to respectively ask you all what your doing with the gelcolor???? I used Shellac since the day it hit the shelf and thought it was the cure all end all of nail polish UNTIL OPI Gelcolor! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the stuff!!! I have had ZERO problems, it wears better than Shellac, removes beautifully off the nail, and does not dehydrate the nails nearly as bad as Shellac does. I feel it is far more forgiving for clients with problematic nails than shellac as well. I just don't understand what you are doing? I use the Shellac light, cure all layers for 2 min. I actually paint each coat slightly thicker than I would shellac and it never wrinkles. There are a few colors that pull off the free edge but Shellac does to so its not different. The french manicure is second to NONE, its gorgeous and easy to work with!!! Maybe you should not use the LED light but instead go back to using the regular UV lamp? My clients are preferring the OPI as well. Don't give up on it, it is an amazing product and OPI has done a fabulous job with color, and releasing new colors. I am very impressed with it!
Gina, nail tech. NC
I do love the bubble bath/alpine snow for frenches. I dont buy Shellac french colors anymore for that same reason....it doesnt wrinkle at all. Actually NC..my issues went back even before the whole system was even launched and had horrible problems with a cpl of things. I do like some of the colors....they dont wrinkle like shellac and even gelish....but then the shellac colors dont pool even one tiny bit. I like the OPI...some of them. But i still think shellac is bestest...Smile
Oh ps...we had both of the diff lights....Shellac lamps and the new OPI led.
" Take time.....to be kind".....
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
You must shake shake and then shake the OPI Gelcolor. I went to a hobby shop and bought a model car paint shaker. While I am preping the clients nails I am shaking my OPI color.
Get Nailed at JB Salon & Day Spa
(08-29-2012, 01:01 AM)anointdhndz Wrote: I do love the bubble bath/alpine snow for frenches. I dont buy Shellac french colors anymore for that same reason....it doesnt wrinkle at all. Actually NC..my issues went back even before the whole system was even launched and had horrible problems with a cpl of things. I do like some of the colors....they dont wrinkle like shellac and even gelish....but then the shellac colors dont pool even one tiny bit. I like the OPI...some of them. But i still think shellac is bestest...Smile

I can't help but think you are either using to much product or your not cleaning the nail bed completely if your having "pooling" issues? There is something wrong, because I have never had this problem. It truly sounds like an oil issue. If your clients takes that hand away and runs is through their hair, or wipes in on any part of their skin, or you are accidentally wiping the top of it with a finger, anything like this the oil will mess with it. I can tell immediately when oil has contaminated the top of the nail and you HAVE to wipe wipe wipe and start over. The only other thing is you are using to much polish. Possibly you are over compensating for the problem with the pooling which is then causing more pooling??? I wish I could watch you work with it to trouble shoot the issue for it Confused. Keep trying!

Gina, nail tech. NC
(08-29-2012, 10:17 PM)nailtechNC28117 Wrote:
(08-29-2012, 01:01 AM)anointdhndz Wrote: I do love the bubble bath/alpine snow for frenches. I dont buy Shellac french colors anymore for that same reason....it doesnt wrinkle at all. Actually NC..my issues went back even before the whole system was even launched and had horrible problems with a cpl of things. I do like some of the colors....they dont wrinkle like shellac and even gelish....but then the shellac colors dont pool even one tiny bit. I like the OPI...some of them. But i still think shellac is bestest...Smile

I can't help but think you are either using to much product or your not cleaning the nail bed completely if your having "pooling" issues? There is something wrong, because I have never had this problem. It truly sounds like an oil issue. If your clients takes that hand away and runs is through their hair, or wipes in on any part of their skin, or you are accidentally wiping the top of it with a finger, anything like this the oil will mess with it. I can tell immediately when oil has contaminated the top of the nail and you HAVE to wipe wipe wipe and start over. The only other thing is you are using to much polish. Possibly you are over compensating for the problem with the pooling which is then causing more pooling??? I wish I could watch you work with it to trouble shoot the issue for it Confused. Keep trying!

I'd have to agree. As soon as you say pooling, I think - she's using too much polish on the brush. Pooling can only happen if there's too much polish on the nail, otherwise it "pulls" from other parts of the nail.
(08-29-2012, 11:23 PM)NancySyd Wrote:
(08-29-2012, 10:17 PM)nailtechNC28117 Wrote:

I'd have to agree. As soon as you say pooling, I think - she's using too much polish on the brush. Pooling can only happen if there's too much polish on the nail, otherwise it "pulls" from other parts of the nail.

maybe it's not noticeable with sheers and pinks, but any less polish on the brush and we're going to have to put on 4 coats to get decent coverage. It has no 'tack' and slides away from the free edge as well.

I have been using gelcolor for awhile now and I absolutely love it! Though I have to admit that I don't use the base/top coat. I've had no pooling, wrinkling, shrinking....no issues at all!
I dont have issues with every color ,or every client ,but find myself crossing my fingers every time I apply it...never have this problem w Gelish...
(08-29-2012, 09:04 AM)GetNailed Wrote: You must shake shake and then shake the OPI Gelcolor. I went to a hobby shop and bought a model car paint shaker. While I am preping the clients nails I am shaking my OPI color.

That's a great idea!

My boss is an OPI educator and has clients who wear gel colour for three + weeks, when I apply it it chips and peels off within three to four days. I've had two trainings on it and am seriously starting to hate it. I'm tempted to invest in Gelish or shellac as I never had a problem at my old spa with shellac

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 0
Views: 1,477
09-10-2015, 01:35 AM
Last Postfingers
Replies: 27
Views: 27,043
05-14-2015, 05:13 AM