You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gel nail art
I really want to offer more artistic designs using gel. My clients show me cute designs from the Internet fhat theynwould like, but they are either acrylic or polish designs. I still use Tammy Taylor on a few clients, but the ones interested in nail art are gel clients. I want the reliability of gel for strength as well as quick cure times so i can keep my schedule in line. I use and love Gelousy, but want more color options. I'd like to add pigment, glitter, embellishments, etc. but am not sure how to do so. Is it okay to mix product lines so long as they stay within the "non-soak off systems". I've looked online at Light Elegance, and like what see. I don't want to switch product lines, rather want to know if I can enhance what I'm currently using.

I've looked on-line for tutorials, but still never know how to get started. Is there a class, site, etc. dedicated to gel nail art and designs?

One final question, the UV light from LE appears to be really cool but pricey. Is it worth it? Or should I stick with the $50.00 versions?
I mix all the time, as well as I am sure most of us do. I do a hard gel base and use whatever else I want to do art with, ANY medium will work just fine. Some you may have to remove dispersion layer and buff, some you add right into the wet gel then cure, depends on the medium and the look you are going for. Now with wet gel you cannot use anything that is water based as your art, but you can use water based paints if you remove dispersion layer and buff first. Gel based art products will work in the wet layer or dispersion layer or even on the cleansed and buffed nail. Embedded things need to go into the wet layer. You can do 3D art onto the cleansed and buffed nail with Acrylic and now there is 3D gels available.

Go to youtube and look up gel nail art. Try Gemma Lambert, gelmaster1000, Anna Neroznak, Let us know how you do.
you can add pigment to any clear gel providing you don't add so much that it interfers with curing. The best thing to do is start with a bit more gel than you think you'll need then start adding the color a teeny bit at a time. Just adding a teeny bit will color the gel and it will look perfect but when you put it on the nail, it'll be too transparent. A common mistake is trying to add more layers to get the color where you want it. DON'T!! It just makes a thick nail. Add more pigment to the mix. The mix is right when you can apply a THIN coat that is slightly see thru but not quite the intensity you want. It needs to be that way so it'll cure properly. Always cure 2 min. when curing color. Put the next coat on and if you've got the mix right, it'll be the color you want. Both coats should be thin, you shouldn't try to build with the color. Either build your nail before or after the color. If you're not putting glitter on, build the nail first. If you're going to add glitter/ebellishments, base the nail, put on two thin coats of gel to protect nail when you get ready to do color removal, then add the color and glitter. Build the nail then.
(08-25-2012, 08:58 AM)javamama14821 Wrote: I mix all the time, as well as I am sure most of us do. I do a hard gel base and use whatever else I want to do art with, ANY medium will work just fine. Some you may have to remove dispersion layer and buff, some you add right into the wet gel then cure, depends on the medium and the look you are going for. Now with wet gel you cannot use anything that is water based as your art, but you can use water based paints if you remove dispersion layer and buff first. Gel based art products will work in the wet layer or dispersion layer or even on the cleansed and buffed nail. Embedded things need to go into the wet layer. You can do 3D art onto the cleansed and buffed nail with Acrylic and now there is 3D gels available.

Go to youtube and look up gel nail art. Try Gemma Lambert, gelmaster1000, Anna Neroznak, Let us know how you do.

Sorry forgot the pigment and mica powders, you can apply either into the uncured gel to use a a colored gel just like Donna said, or you can burnish the nail with the dry powder and cap with clear. You can also do the same with glitter. Fingernailfixer (Holly Schippers) also has a you tube channel or on Nails mag site, that explains the burnishing procedure. I have been doing it all week, I have had these mica powders for 6 years now and had only used them in uncured gel as a color, the burnishing effect is a totally different look, and I love it!!!
Thank you. I can wait to play. I'm thinking of going to the Sacramento show to learn more if I can find a good price on a flight.