You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which LED Lamp??
Im thinking about getting an Led lamp and I currently use OPI gelcolor and some Shellac. Does it matter what brand LED lamp I purchase to cure my prods?uct
Shellac won't cure in LED. As for OPI, try the OPI GelColors LED lamp. It's pricey, but I think it's the best lamp out there. It has a five finger cure and it thoroughly cures everything that can use LED. I also have a HNH Gelissh 18g and use that for every brand as well.
(08-20-2012, 09:22 AM)NancySyd Wrote: Shellac won't cure in LED. As for OPI, try the OPI GelColors LED lamp. It's pricey, but I think it's the best lamp out there. It has a five finger cure and it thoroughly cures everything that can use LED. I also have a HNH Gelissh 18g and use that for every brand as well.

Thanks!..I was thinking about the LED lamp,it looked really nice. I didnt know that Shellac could not be cured with it,why?Is it because its a power polish not gel?
Only products formulated to cure in a LED lamp will do so - properly. Shellac particularly was not formulated to LED cure and must be UV cured. "Power Polish" is not the "type" of product, it is a catch phrase CND developed to promote the product. I do not belive the OPI is LED, I could be mistaken though... check the packaging or opi.com to make sure you are curing it properly.

Some will tell you they have cured Shellac (and other non-LED products) in a LED lamp and they cured just fine. It may appear that way, but they are not properly cured and you are taking the chance of an over exposure issue on your clients.

There are a few dual lamps out there.. one at manicuresthatlast.com and Odyssey sells one also
Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

Yes OPI is either UV or LED cured. Their new light with the gel color system is an led that has a little "ledge" on the inside and then you have to tell the client to spread their fingers. When ive watched YN...gregs lamp looked much more uset friendly in my opinion....plus some of the clients were bumping the bottom/sides of the OPI light....which i didnt care for much at all.....just my 2 cents Smile
" Take time.....to be kind".....
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
(08-20-2012, 10:06 PM)luvemtoes Wrote:
(08-20-2012, 09:22 AM)NancySyd Wrote: Shellac won't cure in LED. As for OPI, try the OPI GelColors LED lamp. It's pricey, but I think it's the best lamp out there. It has a five finger cure and it thoroughly cures everything that can use LED. I also have a HNH Gelissh 18g and use that for every brand as well.

Thanks!..I was thinking about the LED lamp,it looked really nice. I didnt know that Shellac could not be cured with it,why?Is it because its a power polish not gel?

"Power Polish" is just a marketing term, it really has no scientific meaning. Shellac is a gel polish, albeit a hybrid one. Shellac cannot be LED cured because it uses fewer and different photonitiators than LED curable polishes. Since photoinitiators tend to be the cause of sensitivity, it is part of why Shellac is considered hypoallergenic as compared to other gel polishes.
I hear Star Nails has a NEW one UV/LED I'm too trying to decide which is better, lol this one may be better since you can do either of them Shy
Thank You, Linda Smile
www.facebook.com/charmingmemories
The timings are going to be different for uv cure or LED cure
Even with a dual lamp so it is good to read the times cornea h different product. I love the faster LED gels
LED have a light work load that why they last a long time what kill them is heat.
if you find yourself doing back to back clients then spend a few more bucks and get the OPI light, it have a cast metal shell so it will dissipate heat better than anything in the market at the moment....... also if the led last 50-60 thousands hour then it should service those accidental drops to live that long.
J Pham
No boundaries, just possibility.

http://www.facebook.com/jphamfb
Tracy, thanks I wasnt sure about the OPI being LED and wasnt where I could do the research quick..

Lindac, yes that same dual LED/UV lamp can be purchased at: http://www.manicuresthatlast.com It is $249.99 with free shipping (on all orders over $75 which this would more than qualify!)

The LED bulbs themselves dont get changed, but the UV bulbs are replaceable and very reasonably priced.

OMG Joseph! how often do you drop your lamp???????
Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

I'm trying to decide if I should get the new Gelish 18G Light or another OPI light. I already have the OPI light and love it, but the Gelish 18G has some nice features that the OPI does'nt. The 18G has side sensors that turns on when you put your hand in and turns off if you pull your hand out. OPI's sensor has to be touchedto come on and doesn't turn off if you pull your hand out early, it has to finish cycling through the time.
The 18G is more compact than the OPI and also has a hand rest on the top for your client to put her hand while you work on it.
THe 18G's bottom comes off completely and can be just set over top of a clents foot. It comes off and on with a magnet. The OPI tilts up but the client still has to touch the sensor with her foot, risking bumping.
Does anyone have any negatives on the 18G???
I need a second LED but can't decide which one. THANKS, Kelly*
I have both the OPI and the 18g. I like each of them but for different reasons. The OPI is all metal construction and is very durable and dissipates heat well. In addition to the LEDs on top, it has four LEDs set low on the sides that make sure thumbs, pinkies and pinkie toes get properly cured. I also like the handle on it as well as the large countdown timer which is visible to the tech and the client - it is the one I use for my own mani-pedis, although I do think the touch sensor can be an issue for new clients. The 18g's LEDs are set higher and it relies more on reflected light to cure. It is plastic and the sensor is great except that I find that if you move your hand/foot, it can turn off in the middle of the cycle. This is also a pain for swatching. And remember that the timers for the OPI and 18g are set for their products - OPI has 15, 30, 45 and 60 seconds, the 18g has 5, 20 and 30 seconds.

Ultimately, I think you should get the one that goes with the system you use the most. I use OPI base and top with everything, so if I could only have one, I'd have the OPI. It is also the one I like the most - it kind of looks like something Darth Vader would wear! But they are both excellent lights and I don't think you could go wrong with either. I think this is down to a matter of personal preference.

Yes there is a new dual LED/UV lamp by Star and it is available at www.ManicuresThatLast.com right now!

Ladies I have the lamp in hand now and I hope to use it some tomorrow. While the unit itself is a little on the larger size it looks very well made. The bulb placement looks really good for a full hand UV cure. I have not used a LED brand yet, so I can't really comment on the LED bulb placement. I have to assume they did their homework on that!

The bottom slides out nicely, and has a little "click stop" when you slide it back in, so if you pick it up by the part that slides out (I am so guilty of that all the time!) it should not come flying out chancing a drop of the rest of the lamp to the floor.

I haven't yet plugged it in but I did look at the instructions. The electronic timer buttons and switching from LED to UV looks like it is pretty straight forward.

I have heard from several techs who actually got their lamp before I did, they are all very pleased with it so far.

Oh, and I think a BIG point is it is heavy, so no heavy you will need a fork lift, but it has some weight to it. This means it has the magnetic ballast as opposed to the electronic ballast, and that is good news.

Check it out here
[Image: 662900.jpg]

The timers are preset to:
LED: 5, 10, 30 and 60 seconds
UV: 30, 90, 120, 180

I think this is the only lamp you will ever need!
Lorraine, webgirl
http://www.ManicuresThatLast.com
eco Soak Off UV Gel Polish No Solvents, Double the Size - Same Price!
Cinapro Nail Creations - New Art Kits!
http://www.ScentualSpaProducts.com
Cuccio Natural - Enhance the Spa Experience
Free Shipping on all orders over $75
You all need to read Doug Schoons info on LED and UV lamps. All are NOT created equal. At this point if you are going to invest in a LED lamp you need to invest in the lamp that was designed for the product you are using. They are NOT interchangeable. UV lamps are actually the same way. Although I am guilty of using the Shellac lamp with my Shellac, OPI Gelcolor and LCN Gel and it seems to cure all perfectly, I will not be buying a LED lamp anytime soon because it doesn't sound like they are as forgiving. I have not ran into any issues with the products I am curing under the CND lamp so I am not going to spend hundreds on having 3 different lights. But definitely look into this info. It is very interesting and puts into perspective how these things work.
Gina, nail tech. NC
(08-21-2012, 12:58 PM)NancySyd Wrote:
(08-20-2012, 10:06 PM)luvemtoes Wrote:

"Power Polish" is just a marketing term, it really has no scientific meaning. Shellac is a gel polish, albeit a hybrid one. Shellac cannot be LED cured because it uses fewer and different photonitiators than LED curable polishes. Since photoinitiators tend to be the cause of sensitivity, it is part of why Shellac is considered hypoallergenic as compared to other gel polishes.

Actually no. Shellac is not a gel polish. It has none of the classic gel components in it, except for using photo initiators to harden. It's not a gel and it's not a polish/gel hybrid. That's why CND wants to call it a Power Polish. It's the only one of it's kind. Because it's not a gel people that are allergic to gels are likely to be able to use it and it's removal is quicker than that of gels.

PS: I do not use CND products and am completely unbiased when it comes to them...
I finally had time today to do my nails. I did not rush, it has been over 8 weeks, and I decided to remove ALL the old gel, a mix of experimenting of soak off layered with UVGP and glitters, so I had to efile it off. I'll not get in to all that because this is my review of the new DuoLite Lamp.

I LOVE it! Yes, as I said it is a little on the larger side, but I had no fear of banging my nails on bulbs in there. The placement of the side UV bulbs, in my opinion, was perfect. A full and complete 5 finger cure without contorting my thumbs at all. I believe that curing toes in this lamp will not be an issue due to space.

The timers were flawless and easy to push, the timer countdown, bright and easy to read.

The base slide out with little effort allowing more than ample access to insert the 4 UV bulbs packed with the lamp. The bulbs actually snapped in nicely also. I am always afraid of one of those bulbs exploding when plugging them in!

My only disappointment is the lack of a 60 second UV cure selection. It is no big deal though to just hit the 30 second timer to run through a second time.

I think I mentioned I do not use any LED cuarable products right now, so I can not test that aspect, but wow there is a TON of led bulbs in the lamp, so I have to assume it will do a killer job.

This unit WILL head to the shop on Wednesday!
So that is my comments. Overall an A+ on design & function even though it is a little large.

Don't forget that shipping is FREE when you purchase the new DuoLite LED/UV Lamp!

Check it out here
[Image: 662900.jpg]

Lorraine, webgirl
http://www.ManicuresThatLast.com
eco Soak Off UV Gel Polish No Solvents, Double the Size - Same Price!
Cinapro Nail Creations - New Art Kits!
http://www.ScentualSpaProducts.com
Cuccio Natural - Enhance the Spa Experience
Free Shipping on all orders over $75

Actually no. Shellac is not a gel polish. It has none of the classic gel components in it, except for using photo initiators to harden. It's not a gel and it's not a polish/gel hybrid. That's why CND wants to call it a Power Polish. It's the only one of it's kind. Because it's not a gel people that are allergic to gels are likely to be able to use it and it's removal is quicker than that of gels.

PS: I do not use CND products and am completely unbiased when it comes to them...

[/quote]

I beg to differ.Shellac is a hybrid gel polish. Shellac contains the ingredients that define a UV gel product and functions as one. UV gel polishes are generally regarded as containing urethane oligomers, crosslinked polymeric acrylic resins and photinitiators activated by UV rays. All of the gel polishes, including Shellac contain this, so Shellac is a gel polish - a hybrid gel polish. Read the MSDS or listen to Jan Arnold's earliest descriptions of Shellac. Perhaps it is more accurate to say Shellac is not just a gel polish, but it is scientifically incorrect to say it is not a gel polish at all.