You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
safety bit from Young Nails
ok, so I have seen a couple people post about the new safety bit from Young Nails.... and that they are removing gel polish with it. I believe and trust Young Nails, and their product knowledge... but, I am a bit unclear about this. Isnt there still significant risk of damaging the natural nail with this bit? I have always loved that we don't touch the natural nail with anything other than a natural manicure tool when doing the gel polish manicures... BUT, I am very curious about it... if it can safely speed things up... I am all in!
SO... I would love your thoughts!
Thanks!!
Dedee
(06-13-2012, 08:37 AM)nailsbydedee Wrote: ok, so I have seen a couple people post about the new safety bit from Young Nails.... and that they are removing gel polish with it. I believe and trust Young Nails, and their product knowledge... but, I am a bit unclear about this. Isnt there still significant risk of damaging the natural nail with this bit? I have always loved that we don't touch the natural nail with anything other than a natural manicure tool when doing the gel polish manicures... BUT, I am very curious about it... if it can safely speed things up... I am all in!
SO... I would love your thoughts!
Thanks!!

Have you seen Young Nails video on using the safety bit? If so, that explains the why/how.

Greg does not go all the way to the nail surface, just until the color is removed then you buff the what's left, mostly base, and then you have fresh canvas.
Anna
No one with natural nails is going to let you do this. I can see it being great for filing gel polish off of hard gels or acrylics.

And lets just say you are really good at not touching the natural nail, there are a lot of techs out there that do plenty of damage with an efile. They have built a bad reputation for use of electric file.
I've only ever soaked off gel polish twice. I don't like doing it. Everyone of my clients like me to use the efile to get it off. I use a safety bit to take off the color and then use a buffer or a bit for natural nails to take off the base coat.
Brenda
Brenda
Electrologist 30
Nail tech 3 years
Fairytale Nails (Bring on the bling)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brenda-Loc...1768602978
i have it and love it! it's super gentle, no damage, no redness, nothing, i have hand files that are sharper
(08-04-2012, 12:32 AM)Cindee Wrote: i have it and love it! it's super gentle, no damage, no redness, nothing, i have hand files that are sharper

sorry, i don't know how i posted my reply like i did!
CND Master
young nails
light elegance
I bought the safety bit from Young Nails in June and have been using it to remove gel polish since then. I absolutely love it! It has a very fine grit to it and I have had no trouble using it. I wondered what my clients would think of me filing off their gel, but no one has complained and many have commented on how much quicker it is to file it off rather than the cotton and foil method.

@kkgunn, all of my clients are natural nail clients and I use the safety bit to file the gel polish off of ALL of them.
the only time I file it off is when there's hard gel or acrylic under it. The rest of the time I use an easy soak bowl. I remove the most of the surface with my drill, then place that hand in the easy soak. While I'm working on the other hand, the first one is soaking. I switch out the hands and I can get the sog off in about 10 min. with minimal effort.
I use the young nails safety bit all day every day.... I'm in LOVE with it. Soaking in acetone was wrecking all my clients nails, and since using the bit, no problems what so ever and it takes seconds to remove all 10 nails. I had the pleasure of meeting Greg at IBS in NYC and took his class. He was an amazing guy!
"Replace fear of the unknown with curiosity." Smile
Does anyone use this bit with hard gel? Is it abrasive enough? I'm waiting for mine to come!!! Can't wait ;-)
I've been filing off the gel polish for two years, but just use a carbide bit to get off 80% of the color, then switch to a sanding band. To keep away from the natural nail I use two layers of base coat to give myself a nice buffer. I'm very happy to see a major company teaching how to properly buff off, and going to the trouble to create a safer bit to use - I think I will order one and see if I can cut my time by only doing one layer of base coat and using this gentler bit.

I was just talking to someone the other day and saying that when CND came out with that statement last year (telling us that the acetone could be damaging to some clients and we should tell them to take a break from sog's for 3-4 months), I wished instead they had actually done some work and come up with a better way rather than telling us we had to lose money... and hope people came back after their break!
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
I have seen damage done with hand filing as well as e-filing. It is not the tool that causes damage it is not using the tool correctly.

After all the last time you had a bad haircut, did you blame it on the shears?
(08-20-2012, 03:20 PM)celly Wrote: Does anyone use this bit with hard gel? Is it abrasive enough? I'm waiting for mine to come!!! Can't wait ;-)

hi, i asked the same question, yes you can, you just cant cut in smile lines with it since the edge is dull, and i watched a new yn video last night and greg was using it to file a hard gel nail.

i had a client last week that was suprised to find out that it was a metal bit, she thought it was made of rubber!!!
CND Master
young nails
light elegance

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 3
Views: 2,096
05-01-2016, 01:35 AM
Last Posttishgibson