You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Issue Ever W/ Gel polish Over Acrylic
OMG ! I am at a total loss to explain what could be causing this one...Applied OPI Gelcolor over acrylic ,and within days ,it has literally peeled off the ends of her nails. I redid them again ,same brand and shade ,Pompeii Purple , was careful to make sure I capped the free edge well ,since that was the only thing I thought might cause this ,and ,again ,in one day same problem. I apply Gelish over acrylics on many of my clients ,this is the first time I have encountered this...my other clients love that their color still looks brand new, some even after 5 weeks ! I am at a total loss for explaining this one...it looks like chunks of chipped nail polish at the free edge ...HELP ! So bizarre ,and just doesnt make sense...
By any chance, did your client wash her hands after you filed the acrylic but before applying color? That gave me some problems.
Dontcha have to scrub with alcohol first to make sure surface is clean of oils, dust, etc., even after washing?
You can, but I just dust them with a dry brush.
I usually dust them off, scrub them w/ scrubfresh ,then apply color...I did not send her to wash...I just can't figure this one out...
I had the same issue. I had to use the base before the color and that has worked.
I've had this problem with one client really bad over a period of a year, and just a bit on another client. Here's what I determined:

Client #1 types ALL day, literally. She wears acrylic, and before I switched to sog's, she wore hard gel color. The first time this happened I was using Gelousy's Big Sexy Red and Bubble Gum Pink. She'd come in with most of the color peeled back to the nail bed, the acrylic was fine. I tried lots of stuff, left the edge really rough, based the gel, wrapped the ends, nothing worked. I've moved on to sog color on her and since I did that, I used Gelish's top coat to seal the color I used. The peeling stopped!

Here's my take on what happened, as I said she types all day. Continuous striking on the f/e was shattering the tackless sealer I used previously. SOG's are more flexible and give a bit more. Since I've used sog sealer, no more peeling on client #1.

Now, about what the OPI color doing, I will say I've had trouble with that line on #1 and on #2. Client #2 doesn't type that much but is pretty rough on her hands, she owns a hardware store and does what ever needs to be done so she's not babying the nails. The ONLY time I've had issues with the color peeling off is when I put OPI on her. I use it on other clients with no probs, tho, so go figure. I have found that of all my brands of sog, OPI is the one that seems to chip the most. Maybe I need to cure it longer.......?

The reason I'm saying it might need to cure longer is I used hard gel with glitter sprinkled on #2 and it was peeling off to the nail bed in less that 12 hrs. I've NEVER had that problem with glitter before on this client. I even redid her nails in two coats, each coat thin enough the uv lite could go thru to the nail. Nope didn't work. Finally had to put her in a regular color. She wears sog without a problem now, over acrylic.

Bottom line, it depends on what the client's doing with her hands all day, is she wearing tackless sealer, (which is very brittle), and are you sealing with sog sealer or hard gel?
Hey just an FYI....pompei purple is a horrible color in the line!!! I had so many problems with it and i took mine back.......i honestly hated the whole line when it first came out..but ive warmed up to it a bit...BUT..that specific color is aweful...actually someone from this board who talked to an OPI rep down at the Orlando show admitted to her that OPI launched their line way too soon and have indeed had many issues/complaints. Ive been saying that since the beginning too...
But i think its like other lines too. Ive found a gelish color that is so pretty but its streaky and i hate working with it so im taking it back. I guess what im getting at is dont feel too bad about it. Every line has their issues and we just have to adapt and move on...but ya---- pompei purple should be shot....lol
Hth Smile Smile
" Take time.....to be kind".....
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
Donna,I used Gelish Top it Off the first time to seal it ,then the second time I used OPI Gelcolor Top Coat...same prob both times. She asked if it could be because she is grilling a lot ,but I have had this client for years ,and grilling never made her regular polish flake off....wonder if it is the OPI brand....and Pompeii Purple ,which I have had many issues with....shrinking ,not covering and needing several coats to make it look like it is supposed too ,( even after shaking it to death! ) I hold my breath every time someone chooses it ,now I think it just needs to be off the menu !
(07-07-2012, 11:20 PM)lexibunny Wrote: Donna,I used Gelish Top it Off the first time to seal it ,then the second time I used OPI Gelcolor Top Coat...same prob both times. She asked if it could be because she is grilling a lot ,but I have had this client for years ,and grilling never made her regular polish flake off....wonder if it is the OPI brand....and Pompeii Purple ,which I have had many issues with....shrinking ,not covering and needing several coats to make it look like it is supposed too ,( even after shaking it to death! ) I hold my breath every time someone chooses it ,now I think it just needs to be off the menu !

yea, I think that's what I'd do. I think the last time I used the OPI color, I put a layer of hard gel over it, THEN put a tackless sealer over it and it held! So, maybe you could try that......
Thank you all for the great feedback...nice to know I am not the only one to have this happen ,still baffles me though...
I used Axxium soak off over my acrylics and the only reason the ends of mine peeled off is because I'm a picker (so bad, I know), but it was my fault, where I didn't pick, it was ON there. I had bit of a "blob" on the free edge of a couple of nails from capping it too heavily I guess and I was picking at that - once that was gone, it was easy to peel off. Had I left it, I think it would have been fine.
Just a thought - but since I was at fault, thought I'd let you know that it can happen!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 23
Views: 27,780
07-18-2015, 08:05 PM
Last Postsabbott
Replies: 8
Views: 4,713
10-22-2014, 09:23 PM