You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apologizing for this rant....
I am so sick of clients calling for an appointment for a manicure and pedicure and when they get to the salon are saying they want a full set of hard gels with art and a pedicure. This has happened so much in the past few weeks I now have to ask every single time someone is booking a mani/pedi if they want a regular manicure with polish. Then they continue on with "no, I want gel polish" or "no, I want a full set of pink and whites". Since when did everyone start calling any nail service a manicure?! I have had a few clients actually book a manicure and then show up at the salon saying they want gel polish with glitter and art. When I explained to them that I didn't have time to do that service as they only booked a manicure, they got mad and said they didn't know they had to be specific. Really?! I can't imagine them calling a hair salon and asking for a cut and then walking in and saying they need a cut and hi lights. It's driving me crazy!!! I have tried posting on my salon facebook page asking people to please book what they need so that we have the time to do the services they want and also so that we don't end up running late for our next appointments. Unfortunately, that hasn't worked and so now the only thing I can think of to resolve this situation is to be extremely specific with them on the phone. I've owned a salon for the last 4 years and this just started happening about 2 months ago.

Sorry for venting here. Since I can't really say what i want to when they call, or vent on my facebook page, I'm so thankful I have a place where I can vent and where I know someone will understand. There are days when it's just not fun dealing with the public!
Sherrie, your rant was justified because many clients refer to almost any service involving their hands as a manicure. Why? Because manufacturers and salons have been marketing enhancement/artificial nail services that way for years. "Custom-blended manicure," anyone?

When defining my salon's services (in brochure, online, etc.), I make a very clear distinction between natural nail services and enhancements. We never refer to a "gel manicure," because that's an oxymoron at my salon.
Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
I learned to make sure they were using the correct terminology after having that happen many years ago. I always ask, "Are you wanting your nails just polished or do you want enhancements?". That's when they 'get it'. I'm like you, I don't book as much time for a mani as I do a full set. Once you get them in your chair, THEN you can tell them what the correct terminology is for future reference.
We get that at my work all the time. Drives me insane.
I had one show up last week that was booked for a gel polish manicure... she arrived nearly a half hour late and it turns out she is wearing tips w/a hard gel overlay that is topped with gel polish. Some of her tips were missing and the whole thing looked like she was way overdue for a fill. I was booked solid and explained to her that as she was very late and needed far more work than the manicure that she had booked I would not be able to do them for her. Of course that meant 45 minutes of my time down the drain.
(07-03-2012, 09:23 PM)MA Tech Wrote: I had one show up last week that was booked for a gel polish manicure... she arrived nearly a half hour late and it turns out she is wearing tips w/a hard gel overlay that is topped with gel polish. Some of her tips were missing and the whole thing looked like she was way overdue for a fill. I was booked solid and explained to her that as she was very late and needed far more work than the manicure that she had booked I would not be able to do them for her. Of course that meant 45 minutes of my time down the drain.

imo, this indicates someone who's gone to a place that doesn't really make appts., just a walkin place where it doesn't matter if you're late. There's at least two generations of nail wearers that think that this kind of salon is the 'norm', and I guess in most places it is.

(07-04-2012, 06:48 PM)Donna in Huntsville, TX. Wrote:
(07-03-2012, 09:23 PM)MA Tech Wrote: I had one show up last week that was booked for a gel polish manicure... she arrived nearly a half hour late and it turns out she is wearing tips w/a hard gel overlay that is topped with gel polish. Some of her tips were missing and the whole thing looked like she was way overdue for a fill. I was booked solid and explained to her that as she was very late and needed far more work than the manicure that she had booked I would not be able to do them for her. Of course that meant 45 minutes of my time down the drain.

imo, this indicates someone who's gone to a place that doesn't really make appts., just a walkin place where it doesn't matter if you're late. There's at least two generations of nail wearers that think that this kind of salon is the 'norm', and I guess in most places it is.

^^^ Such a great point. I'm grateful that I only have to deal with this a small fraction of the time because most of my clients did not regularly get their nails done prior to coming to me because they did not like NSS services and got pulled in to my chair by Shellac! But it is SO annoying when I do have a client nonchalantly show up halfway through their appointment spot like its nothing...and then, of course, get upset when they cannot "come back later" because I'm booked the rest of the day!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 4
Views: 2,607
10-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Last Postyou'vegotnail!
Replies: 9
Views: 6,018
03-19-2012, 08:29 PM