You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shellac Top over Reg Polish on Acrylic
I use gel polish over acrylic a lot ,and my clients love it...my fellow nail tech at the shop I am at used Shellac Topcoat over regular polish on acrylic the other day. I think it would be awesome if this works ,but I thought it would crackle and end up looking like shattered glass after a couple of days....have any of you tried using your gel polish topcoat over regular polish on a set of acrylics ,and did it not shatter ? Smile
You can put a gel topcoat over regular polish, but the polish has to be 100% dry.
I know that ,that the polish needs to be totally dry ,but she applied it right over wet polish done on acrylic...just wondering if the 100% dry rule stands true when using gel polish top over regular polish applied to acrylic ,not the nat nail ...
I wouldn't think the gel polish would dry. Could try it on a tip with some acrylic on it and see. Curious to know how it does.
(06-18-2012, 11:36 PM)Luvglitter Wrote: I wouldn't think the gel polish would dry. Could try it on a tip with some acrylic on it and see. Curious to know how it does.

oopsy daisy, meant to say regular polish wouldn't dry under the topcoat. Tongue
I will post an update when I know the results...she also applied over crackle polish ,so I wonder if you could even tell what the results are... Her intention is to upcharge like $5 for the topcoat if it works ,the bonus being instantly dry polish. I kind of really hope I it is successful ,but Im not trying it until I know for sure that it does ,lol! Smile
I have tried this out with Shellac Top and standard OPI lacquer with great results. I didn't give myself anymore dry time before coating than I normally would with Out the Door or Seche. I was just sure to polish thin layers.

I wonder if the difference between doing it with this and a traditional gel sealer is due to the porosity of the Shellac product. Since the traditional is impervious to acetone (hence why it doesn't soak off) could this be what allowed my polish enough release to evaporate under the Shellac? Who knows!
Crazy in l Heart ve with Cuccio!
(06-20-2012, 10:56 AM)mysweetjordan Wrote: I have tried this out with Shellac Top and standard OPI lacquer with great results. I didn't give myself anymore dry time before coating than I normally would with Out the Door or Seche. I was just sure to polish thin layers.

I wonder if the difference between doing it with this and a traditional gel sealer is due to the porosity of the Shellac product. Since the traditional is impervious to acetone (hence why it doesn't soak off) could this be what allowed my polish enough release to evaporate under the Shellac? Who knows!

Your polish dried and you couldn't scratch it off? I tried a regular gel topcoat and I could scratch off the polish the next day. It was like the polish never dried under it.
(06-20-2012, 11:44 PM)Luvglitter Wrote:
(06-20-2012, 10:56 AM)mysweetjordan Wrote: I have tried this out with Shellac Top and standard OPI lacquer with great results. I didn't give myself anymore dry time before coating than I normally would with Out the Door or Seche. I was just sure to polish thin layers.

Your polish dried and you couldn't scratch it off? I tried a regular gel topcoat and I could scratch off the polish the next day. It was like the polish never dried under it.

With the traditional sealer it slid off, with the Shellac no prob. Maybe I'm a slow polisher.
Crazy in l Heart ve with Cuccio!
Hmmmmm Jordan, I will have to check that out. TY[/b]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 3
Views: 1,696
01-08-2015, 05:22 PM
Last PostCanadAstrid
Replies: 8