You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gelish question
Has anyone tried any other base and top coat with gelish? I don't normally use it, but wanted to try the magnetic gel polish, so I bought one. I have base and top for eco, shellac, and the one that nailite does. I know you are to use what they recomend .but am asking if you have used anything else and what the results were. Also what if you are using it over gel or acrylic. What would be the steps, and the results. Thank you so much.
Brenda

Brenda
Electrologist 30
Nail tech 3 years
Fairytale Nails (Bring on the bling)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brenda-Loc...1768602978
I have. I have used the Gelify, Shellac and P2 topcoats with Gelish with no issues. I do however now use Gelish base and top with all those others.
Claudia
C-C My Nails
Newcastle, WY
there is a supplier of a different SOGP and she says she mixes and matches all of them... I will be trying to too as I switch to use up my other line of product - will be trying it on myself first though!
(06-19-2012, 10:46 AM)newbietechy Wrote: there is a supplier of a different SOGP and she says she mixes and matches all of them... I will be trying to too as I switch to use up my other line of product - will be trying it on myself first though!

I don't use a base coat if I'm using it over gel or AC. I have never had any problems.
Cindy
Thank you, Claudia. That is exactly what I wanted to know.
Would anyone know if I use hard gel and finish file, do I need to use anything under the gelish
Brenda
Electrologist 30
Nail tech 3 years

If you have any enhancement product, you will not have to use the base coat.
Denise Anderson
Attitudes
Salem, OR
Thank you, everyone. I have been using the eco, shellac and nailite over gel and acrylic, but just hadn't tried the gelish. I tried the blue magnetic one and it turend out pretty good. The girl was very happy with it. Used it over her gel nails and used the universal top coat that I got from Manicuresthatlast.

I switch top and base around all the time with the eco and the nailited. The only time I change the top for shellac is when I am putting it over hard gel. I don't like the shellac though, so am happy to use the others.
Brenda
Electrologist 30
Nail tech 3 years

(06-19-2012, 10:59 AM)nailfun Wrote: Thank you, Claudia. That is exactly what I wanted to know.
Would anyone know if I use hard gel and finish file, do I need to use anything under the gelish

I use it directly over the hard gel or acrylic, no basing.

I just dry wipe after my regular gel base then apply the gelish, cure, then top with my regular gel clear. Works great!!! I was using a dry brush, but find the wipes from light elegance do NOT leave any lint at all, so that works really well for me. Dry wiping really helps to not get any pull back from the gel polishes.
REPAIR? I asked this in another post about dark colors rubbing off - after I've cleansed the Gelish TIO, in this one case some color came off around the edges of her thumbs. Can I REPAIR this issue by putting more color over TIO, cure and apply more TIO and cure? - or would I have to use Foundation then color then TIO (with curing) OR will this even work? I haven't tried it yet. My client was fine with how it looked and was excited about her new blue nails. But what of there's a next time?
(06-26-2012, 07:22 AM)javamama14821 Wrote: I just dry wipe after my regular gel base then apply the gelish, cure, then top with my regular gel clear. Works great!!! I was using a dry brush, but find the wipes from light elegance do NOT leave any lint at all, so that works really well for me. Dry wiping really helps to not get any pull back from the gel polishes.

Javamama,
Are you saying you don't use the foundation? Just wipe dry after the gel application? Then apply the gelish color?
All my girls love gelish and I want to try this on them.

Thanks
Julie
I use CND base, Gelish color and OPI gelcolor top coat. I never have any problems.
You can mix and match virtually every line. I use shellac top/base with gelish and OPI.....turns out wonderfully!!!! I think the gelish topcoat is too thin and didnt find it held up as well. But ya....go ahead and mix away!!!!! Its all good Smile
" Take time.....to be kind".....
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
(07-16-2012, 07:15 PM)JulieM Wrote:
(06-26-2012, 07:22 AM)javamama14821 Wrote: I just dry wipe after my regular gel base then apply the gelish, cure, then top with my regular gel clear. Works great!!! I was using a dry brush, but find the wipes from light elegance do NOT leave any lint at all, so that works really well for me. Dry wiping really helps to not get any pull back from the gel polishes.

Javamama,
Are you saying you don't use the foundation? Just wipe dry after the gel application? Then apply the gelish color?
All my girls love gelish and I want to try this on them.

Thanks
Julie

I only use the foundation if I am needing some extra strength. I usually only use the base then 2 coats of color then topcoat.
I dry wipe after I cure the base

The one thing I have noticed though, is because these are a soft gel product, some clients are coming back with very stained nails. Especially if they have had their hair colored. The color transfers to the top coat and stains them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 6
Views: 10,520
09-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Last PostNancySyd
Replies: 3
Views: 2,213
09-25-2013, 04:36 PM