You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
New nail texh with some issues
Hey guys,

I finished my nail tech coarse about three months ago and I've been working in salon for about a month. It takes me about two hours to do a full set start to finish and about an hour and a half to do a fill. People seem to get really annoyed at how long I'm taking. Is my timing really that horrible? The salon I work in is very very laid back so people tend to bring friends and they tend to get annoyed waiting, is there anything I can so to help with this? I want to do the best nails I absolutely can but I feel like I'm annoying people with how long it takes.

Also, I had a client today, and I could not please her no matter what I did, I asked her if she liked the length of her natural nails, she said she did so I just did an overlay. She didn't like them when I was at my final filing because they were to short and thick, and she liked them long and thin (they honestly weren't incredibly thick but I used a thick glitter to do the smile lines and warned her about it and she said it was fine) so I filed off the red because she decided that she didn't like it, added a pink for the smile lines but she didn't like the pink, or how the nails weren't thin enough for her and asked me to just take them off because she knew she wouldn't like them no matter what i did. I spoke to my boss, she said even if I took them off she'd have to still pay for a full set because I basically did a new set twice on her. I tried to explain that I'd done everything she asked and she'd still have to pay, she didn't agree but so she let me finish (finally after nearly finishing the over lay having to remove the red, extend them, doing the pink, taking the pink off, doing a blue, her deciding she didn't like smile lines and just doing the entire nail one shade of blue, adding stamps on top of them and then filing a ton of the length down because she didn't like how long they were at the end), but when I took her up to the front to pay she walked out the door and left without paying. What do I even do in this situation, she wouldn't let me do my job and nothing I could do would please her and she just left without paying after I spent four hours trying to make her happy and had to put off another walk in I had come it until tomorrow. I'm so frustrated about this, I'm considering just quitting nails entirely and going back to my old job. How do I even begin to deal with clients like this? The other nail tech at my salon told me they were perfect the first time I nearly finished and when I finally did finish and she's been doing nails for 12 years and is an amazing nail tech.
Dont give up we all have days like those when we 1st start!!! Try to find a mentor in your area or maybe a class it will help trust me. What are you using for product??

It is hard and we have all been there but if this is your passion you have to take the time to tweek it!! Practice on anyone and everyone it will help the more you do the faster you will get!!

Good luck

Michele
Massachusetts
I feel for you Smile If the other tech in your salon said they were perfect and truly meant that, then please believe her. What you are lacking is confidence, and clients will pick up on that. You gave this client too many options. You redid her nails it sounds like, 2 times on top of the original request. The salon owner should be demanding payment from this client.

In terms of timing, you have only been doing this for a short time. Concentrate of doing the best set of nails you can, that will still be perfect when the client returns for their maintenance appointment. If that takes 2 hours right now, then it takes 2 hours. If you rush and cut off, say, 15-20 minutes of that time, and they don't last, you will never see these clients again and they could possibly tarnish the salon, you and your work. And you haven't really made any progress.

If you can get any kind of mentoring or constant feedback from the other tech in your salon, please go for it. If you have any nail classes available to you in your area, try to attend them, and networking events also. Get yourself on Facebook and network with nail techs as well. We all want to see you succeed !!
Laura Merzetti
http://www.scratchmyback.ca
CND Education Ambassador
Toronto, Ontario Canada
I feel for you also. ...have been there and done that when I first started out...
I agree with scratchmyback. When I first started out--- I myself gave the client too many options in trying to please them. And my nail services where over an hour long...UGH. I took more classes and did as many nail services as I could on family and friends. I think everything will come with time...and experience...
Stick with it, If you love nails---you will grow.
Love, Love, Love Nails !!! Stay Licensed and grow !!!
Luluu, I'm new to nails and take as much time as you do but in my area, most techs take 1 1/2 - 2 hours for a full set. Before I was a nail tech, I was in management for 20 yrs and from what I read, your manager should not have let you go through this. If that happens again, and you believe you've done what the customer wanted in the 1st place, go to your manager and talk to him/her about it so they can be part of the solution e.g., find out what the problem was with the service - get details -and provide options, i.e., re-file them, take them off or re-do ONCE more, if you have time.

Handling problems/finding solutions is what a manager is supposed to do, especially when you're new. The manager should have discussed the problem w/the customer while you're there so (1) the customer knows your boss supports you and (2) so you'll learn how to handle these issues in the future. She should've been on top of this and never let her walk out the door w/o paying. Dont quit under those circumstances; every single person that starts a new job/career makes LOTS of mistakes...shake it off, tomorrow is another day. Next time, bring your manager over to your station and listen to how she handles it so you'll learn how to deal w/it in the future.

Even though I know all of this, I still get frustrated w/myself but then I remember my struggles/mistakes in my previous, very successful career, and give myself a break.

Once you began to see that she wasn't going to be happy no matter what she did, that's when you should have finished what you started then refused to make anymore changes. You lost her money and most likely could lose the money from the walk in that was turned away. Walk-ins will make an appt. when pushed but most of the time don't come back. They want their nails done NOW!

She walked out with your work on her hands, she got a free set of nails, bottom line. As far as I'm concerned, if she didn't pay for them she should have let you clip them off. I'd have been so ticked, I'd have followed her outside, got her license plate # and filed on her for theft of services. She could very well been doing all that on purpose just to get a full set for free! One thing about it, she'd never darken MY door again!

You've had probably one of the best learning experiences of your career in dealing with her, from now on you'll be less likely to be accomodating to someone wanting to change their mind midway thru the service. Within reason, say the nails were too long to begin with and you file them down, but after that, if they say, "now, they're too short"......too bad, so sad. They'll grow, honey.
I really think it was her problem, and nothing you did wrong. Don't quit doing nails...she was probably just a really unhappy person. lol. Keep on going Smile
Luluuuu
I have been doing nails for over 20 years and I only hand file. Even after having carpal tunnel surgery. I have an efile and use it to do cuticle clean up and to clean up lifting spots, but use my hand files 97% of the time. I tell all my 1st timers how much time I may take on their nails and let them know that if they need to reschedule to fit their schedule we can do that. I don't let them rush me. I let them know what I am doing and why. They all know I am not a quickie nail shop kinda girl and they accept that and love there nails. I do love to do free and fun nail art, stickers , small painted flowers or rhinestones. They do pay for special art or glitter tips. Sounds like you did a great job on her and just know that it sounds like it wasn't your skills, she would have done this to anyone.

Her action to walk out and not pay is stealing, stealing your work without paying. I had that happen to me many years ago and we reported her to the police. I found out she had stiffed a bunch of salons in my area, from hair, face to nails. If your manager knows who this lady is I would report this theft to the police.

DO NOT give up! this too shall pass, be strong and confident and make sure you do a full consultation before you start the service, better to let a client go, than to deal with these type problems.

Hang in there we all understand, we have all been there at one time or another.
Luluuuu,
I have to say that I agree with all that has been posted here so far. Most important....do NOT give up. We all have to start somewhere. I've been in the industry for over 23 years now and still cannot please every single client that walks through the door. Some people will not be happy no matter what you do (they still have to pay, btw....we do not work for free)....learn from the experience, move on and don't let them discourage you. Also, as a salon owner, I can tell you that I would NOT have ever allowed a client to bulldoze a tech like that. Your manager or owner should have stepped up and stopped what was going on. The fact that you went to her to begin with should have been her first really big clue that her authority in the salon was needed in the situation.
Melodie Hand
Clayton/Raleigh, NC
Call the police and charge her with theft, they will have to make a report and follow up on it. It is no different had she come in and grabbed products without paying. She is not returning anyway so you may as well see if you can get paid what you are owed.
I wish that I was only taking 2 hours for a full set of art nails when I started in the salon! I think I used to book 2 1/2 hours.. and left myself a cushion on the calendar for full sets and re-tips! Now I take about 1.25 hrs for a full set, but that's 3 years in! She definitely stole from you, and I would NEVER let someone change their mind on color after you have applied the set - the most I would do at that point is do gel art (like flames) over the top, or gel polish over the top. She chose the color & the length, period.

I would recommend that you fake it until you make it. Be very up front with people that you are new in the salon, but know what you're doing - it might take you 2 hours plus, but tell people that you are working on perfecting your skills the RIGHT way. I used to tell people that I would rather take my time and learn how to do nails properly rather than rushing and learning a lot of bad habits, and that the nails would be worth their patience!

Two years ago as a treat to myself when I was in Spokane when my mother passed away, I called around and found someone who said they used Young Nails products and went in to get my nails done. I was told the tech was new but very good, and the nails might take 2 1/2 hours, so I went in to her. 2 1/2 hrs in it was lunch time, so we took a break, ate lunch and then I went back and spent another 2 1/2 hrs for her to finish. Yes, it was a 5 hour set, but those nails lasted four weeks!
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
Oh hun, I feel so bad for you! How horrible of that customer to do that to you and the shop manager/owner to let you handle that situation all by yourself. Learn from what happened and don't let anyone else tell you that they don't like your work when you know you did your best. Don't give up!!
1st, forget that hag and move on. Some people will never be happy with what you do! NEVER. Just be happy you will NEVER see her again! Just think what it would be like in 2 weeks if she came back and that should make you happy.

Now, when you set an apt. tell them ok it is 2 hrs for a full set and 1 1/2 for a fill, then they know what they are sitting for.

I have found doing glitter that it is best to do a full set in just the L$P and then when you are don use a gel polish, like shellac to do the glitter. This does 2 things for you. makes the glitter nice and thin and makes it VERY EASY to remove in 2 weeks when they want a new set. You just file it off do your fill and add a new color! and when I say file it off I mean like 2 passes with your Efile and its off! When you do the gel polish on acrylics you do not need a base coat. just buff with a 100 file and put the 1st layer of color on then follow this video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBnL_YMmGlw she does not use a brush to apply the glitter. I DO I have a brush just to dip in glitter and apply to the sticky. It is a crap brush never used in product, JUST glitter. I hope this helps!
I mean * she does not use a different brush for glitter*
"To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I'm working on the foundation."
Marilyn Monroe
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000798439789
(05-26-2012, 05:32 PM)sachi Wrote: 1st, forget that hag and move on. Some people will never be happy with what you do! NEVER. Just be happy you will NEVER see her again! Just think what it would be like in 2 weeks if she came back and that should make you happy.

Now, when you set an apt. tell them ok it is 2 hrs for a full set and 1 1/2 for a fill, then they know what they are sitting for.

I have found doing glitter that it is best to do a full set in just the L$P and then when you are don use a gel polish, like shellac to do the glitter. This does 2 things for you. makes the glitter nice and thin and makes it VERY EASY to remove in 2 weeks when they want a new set. You just file it off do your fill and add a new color! and when I say file it off I mean like 2 passes with your Efile and its off! When you do the gel polish on acrylics you do not need a base coat. just buff with a 100 file and put the 1st layer of color on then follow this video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBnL_YMmGlw she does not use a brush to apply the glitter. I DO I have a brush just to dip in glitter and apply to the sticky. It is a crap brush never used in product, JUST glitter. I hope this helps!
I mean * she does not use a different brush for glitter*

oops I meant 180 grit not 100 Wink
"To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I'm working on the foundation."
Marilyn Monroe
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000798439789

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 2
Views: 1,295
09-29-2016, 01:30 AM
Last PostJulieM
Replies: 1