You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So frustrated w/ myself !!!
Ok, you guys, I know I sound like a broken record here, but I am so @$#&!! frustrated with myself ! I am sooo painfully slow ! Mostly it's just me insecure and complaining about it ,but it REALLY bugs me ! Takes me an hour fifteen for gel polish ,hour 15 or more for a fill (three week and up clients ) ,hour and a half or more for a backfill ,blah ,blah, blah...No one is really complaining, but I have been at this for 25 years ! The only way I seem to speed up is by not talking at all, but that is sooooo not fun...have tried talking to the hand ,doesn't help....ok ,rant over...thanks for putting up with me ,lol...
I'm slow too..
but I don't book myself back to back anymore b/c I don't have to so as long as my client has the time we take full advantage of the 2hr slot I give to them.
I am also a perfectionist & have always had a really hard time with speed
when I was in the salon booked back to back I always took 2hrs for full set, 1hr & 1/2 for gel fills, 45 min manicures. My clients never complained...
Yes, I take over an hour to gel polish esp. when nail art is involved..u r not alone
Thanks, it feel good to know I am not alone. I just work with a girl that has clients stacked back to back ,and charges on average $5 less than me. Its starting to make me wonder if I shoild drop my price ,although my price is right where it should be....Sad
I take an hour for everything. Unless I book more time, like for a back fill, I do it in an hour but if I don't have someone coming right away it takes me longer. Odd. There is no reason to rush. I think your time is just fine. Smile
I'm with sobeit, I book on the hour for most fills, add an extra 15 for f/s. Been doing this over 25 years, guess I'm not going to get any faster and not really worried about it. My clients aren't complaining and that's all that counts to me.
It never bothered me before ,but now that I work right next to someone ,( someone I enjoy immensely ,BTW, ) who is doing stuff in a half hour 45 min., and is on average ,$5.00 cheaper ,I am insecure about losing existing client ,as well as any new people I get because of this. What makes it even worse ,is shr has picked up a lot of new useful tricks and technical information since I have been there. I feel like she is the only one benefitting from me being there...Sad Don't know if I should consider rearranging my pricing ,although ,right now it is fair, not over priced ,and right where it should be...I do fine quality work ,but maybe I should stop being so obsessed with detail...after all ,it seems to work well for my co-worker ,who noone is complaining about ,and who has people stacked one on top of the other all day 5 days a week...
(04-27-2012, 08:22 AM)lexibunny Wrote: It never bothered me before ,but now that I work right next to someone ,( someone I enjoy immensely ,BTW, ) who is doing stuff in a half hour 45 min., and is on average ,$5.00 cheaper ,I am insecure about losing existing client ,as well as any new people I get because of this. What makes it even worse ,is shr has picked up a lot of new useful tricks and technical information since I have been there. I feel like she is the only one benefitting from me being there...Sad Don't know if I should consider rearranging my pricing ,although ,right now it is fair, not over priced ,and right where it should be...I do fine quality work ,but maybe I should stop being so obsessed with detail...after all ,it seems to work well for my co-worker ,who noone is complaining about ,and who has people stacked one on top of the other all day 5 days a week...

as a professional at your job, you KNOW what the flaws are. The buying public might not even see what you're nit picking over. It could be possible for you to not be so perfection driven and still do well and save time, BUT, CAN you do that? Your personality type may not allow you to!
Never go down on your pricing, either. You just need to adjust the steps you're taking to the finished product. Examine what you do and ask yourself what can you reasonably cut back on. It might help to have a sticky not placed an area where YOU can see it and the client can't that kinda reminds you to not obsess.

You are not alone...I am also considering myself slow...but the thing is that I work at home so I don't have the pressure of time I would if I was working at a anil salon...I almost naver am completely happy with the result, but as said above we techs see flaws that our clients don't see...
Thank you all for cheering me up....Smile
Yes, I'm too slow too, but thought it was because I'm fairly new (8 months) and too much of a perfectionist, especially on pedi's that may take me hour & 15 min at least. But gel sculptered nails take me forever...3 1/2 hours. I practice at home and wont do them professionally until takes me 2 1/2 hrs or less. I use an e-drill to shape them, but still take too long. Also spend time removing cuticle to prevent lifting. I know scultpered gels takes alot of practice but any tips re: doing them faster? I know how sculptered gels are supposed to look and cant seem to finish unless they look like what I see on the web or magazines. Am open to any suggestions and constructive criticism. thanks.
You might want to check Young Nails Greg Salo...he has a lot of great videos that might help you pick up some useful tricks....and I too am not happy unless they are magazine cover nails ,lol...Smile
(04-29-2012, 06:12 PM)lexibunny Wrote: You might want to check Young Nails Greg Salo...he has a lot of great videos that might help you pick up some useful tricks....and I too am not happy unless they are magazine cover nails ,lol...Smile

(04-29-2012, 06:15 PM)jerimoceri Wrote:
(04-29-2012, 06:12 PM)lexibunny Wrote: You might want to check Young Nails Greg Salo...he has a lot of great videos that might help you pick up some useful tricks....and I too am not happy unless they are magazine cover nails ,lol...Smile

thanx lexibunny for the tip and the moral support, will check it out the video's.
I am slow also. about and hour for any nail service or more...
but the nails have a tremndous outcome and clients are extremly happy. I have worked full time in a salon for 6 years. Time is a big factor !! I always felt stressed. Don't be sad if you take so long.......
you are a prefectionist like I am. Although Salon Owners don't like this, so I have gone
into a home business and it is successful.
Love, Love, Love Nails !!! Stay Licensed and grow !!!
I'm slow as well. My clients dont seem to mind as most are on a 3 week schedule. When you think about the say, hour and a half you spend on your 3 week clients, over a year, you are taking 26 hrs a year to maintain their nails. If they were coming in every 2 weeks, you would STILL be taking 26 hrs a year to maintain their nails. So, you are taking the same amount of time, but, your clients only have to pay you 17 times a year, vs 26 saving them money in the long run. So your neighbor may be faster, but is she truly cheaper?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 5
Views: 1,957
01-03-2017, 11:48 PM
Last Postnail model 1
Replies: 8
Views: 5,812
09-26-2013, 01:28 AM