You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it Tacky to charge for polish?
[/size]Hello all.
I am getting ready to go back to work after my maternity leave and I will be starting over in a new salon. I have been going over my price menu and doing a bit of research on what my competitors are charging around me. and I had a question for all of you. In your opinion would it be tacky for me to charge extra for polish when doing a full set? I have never charged extra for it before but My thinking is the local discount salon charges $35 for a basic full set. everyone else around me is running 40 on up to 55 for a basic set and more for p&w or color/glitter. Due to the economy and just getting back into the swing of things[size=medium] I was thinking about charging just 35 for a basic set but if they want polish it would be $40. what is your feelings on this?? good idea or a really bad one? do any of you already do this? It does take me a bit more time when I am doing polish with my services becaues I wait for my clients to dry their nails and then I walk them out to their car and seat belt them in just so they don't mess up their nails. So what do ya think? yeah or a big Neah?? Thanks all Big Grin
You know a lot of places to the ala` carte style nail menu, clients seem to think they are getting a good deal when they can control what they spend. So on one hand, it looks like a good deal.
Then on the other hand, with sogp out there, up-charging for basic polish over enhancements can look like a nickle and dime deal. In my personal business, I would not do it. Charge more that is. I would also never take the time to walk each and every client to their car and buckle them in. I have had elderly clients I did this for in the past but now? No way. I use out the door top coat on all my traditional polish and it dries so fast there is no real wait time.
My steps are finish enhancements and apply the layers of polish and top coat. Client sits at my table for 5 min while I clean up my tools. I apply drops of cuticle oil to each nail and then I do my massage. Their nails are always dry enough to lightly rub the oil and lotion over by the time I finish rubbing the arm and palm. Then they are out the door and on their own. They know those nails are only dry to the touch and not safe for purse digging or pocket picking.. They have to be careful.
Or you can get a UV cured top coat, not to be confused with UV sealant. They can cure the polish for a few min. I also really love NSI air-sheild. Its the quickest dry ever. I just have a giant bottle of out the door.
These things can help you not have to walk them out and take extra time, so that you don't charge for the single color of traditional polish.
I do know other salons that charge more for their french polish and other that charge more for UV cured top coat. So you could offer that as a perk for them @ the $5 upgrade as well.
Its all up to you and your area.
And entire nail menu made up of ala` carte choices can be very unique and very fun. But an add on price for just nail polish can seem off putting if not worded right.
I hope my really lengthy reply didn't bore the heck out of you. Smile
(04-21-2012, 11:34 AM)sobeit Wrote: You know a lot of places to the ala` carte style nail menu, clients seem to think they are getting a good deal when they can control what they spend. So on one hand, it looks like a good deal.
Then on the other hand, with sogp out there, up-charging for basic polish over enhancements can look like a nickle and dime deal. In my personal business, I would not do it. Charge more that is. I would also never take the time to walk each and every client to their car and buckle them in. I have had elderly clients I did this for in the past but now? No way. I use out the door top coat on all my traditional polish and it dries so fast there is no real wait time.
My steps are finish enhancements and apply the layers of polish and top coat. Client sits at my table for 5 min while I clean up my tools. I apply drops of cuticle oil to each nail and then I do my massage. Their nails are always dry enough to lightly rub the oil and lotion over by the time I finish rubbing the arm and palm. Then they are out the door and on their own. They know those nails are only dry to the touch and not safe for purse digging or pocket picking.. They have to be careful.
Or you can get a UV cured top coat, not to be confused with UV sealant. They can cure the polish for a few min. I also really love NSI air-sheild. Its the quickest dry ever. I just have a giant bottle of out the door.
These things can help you not have to walk them out and take extra time, so that you don't charge for the single color of traditional polish.
I do know other salons that charge more for their french polish and other that charge more for UV cured top coat. So you could offer that as a perk for them @ the $5 upgrade as well.
Its all up to you and your area.
And entire nail menu made up of ala` carte choices can be very unique and very fun. But an add on price for just nail polish can seem off putting if not worded right.
I hope my really lengthy reply didn't bore the heck out of you. Smile

Hi Sobeit,
Would you suggest Out The Door top coat overall? I'm currently using Seche and really like the finish. Is OTD quicker with a good finish? Also, do you have a UV Topcoat you prefer? I bought Seche and wasn't too pleased. As a newbie I really can't afford to buy lots of products to try right now. Thanks.

NY Licensed Nail + Waxing Tech
Owner/Developer Suite Tee
http://www.Facebook.com/TashawnaH
Instagram: @SuiteTee
I have used Out the Door in the past and found it to be a good quality top coat. Then I found Seche Vite. To me there is no comparission. Seche dries all layers of polish, OTD does not- only the surface. (That was the deal when I used OTD anyway.) Seche is totally dry in about 5-8 minutes. In winter, I let my ladies put socks and shoes on in 10 minutes and they never have any problems. That might seem a long time to some, but it takes polish up to 6-8 hours to dry completely.
Always be kind....you get farther.
[/quote]
Hi Sobeit,
Would you suggest Out The Door top coat overall? I'm currently using Seche and really like the finish. Is OTD quicker with a good finish? Also, do you have a UV Topcoat you prefer? I bought Seche and wasn't too pleased. As a newbie I really can't afford to buy lots of products to try right now. Thanks.
[/quote]

You know I would recommend it as a very good, very affordable, all around top coat. It dries so nicely, and it comes in a huge bottle as well so it lasts me months. I think its $9 for the large size.
My NSI airshield has a very strong smell and I don't know that I want to use it on my clients, I thought about that after I used it on myself.
Hi Sobeit,
[/quote]

You know I would recommend it as a very good, very affordable, all around top coat. It dries so nicely, and it comes in a huge bottle as well so it lasts me months. I think its $9 for the large size.
My NSI airshield has a very strong smell and I don't know that I want to use it on my clients, I thought about that after I used it on myself.
[/quote]

Thanks.
(04-22-2012, 10:18 AM)Tn Nail Lady Wrote: I have used Out the Door in the past and found it to be a good quality top coat. Then I found Seche Vite. To me there is no comparission. Seche dries all layers of polish, OTD does not- only the surface. (That was the deal when I used OTD anyway.) Seche is totally dry in about 5-8 minutes. In winter, I let my ladies put socks and shoes on in 10 minutes and they never have any problems. That might seem a long time to some, but it takes polish up to 6-8 hours to dry completely.

Thanks!
NY Licensed Nail + Waxing Tech
Owner/Developer Suite Tee
http://www.Facebook.com/TashawnaH
Instagram: @SuiteTee

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 12
Views: 10,336