You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OPI Gelcolor
I am a CND Master in Shellac, and just found out the salon I am at is phasing out Shellac to implement OPI Gelcolor. I don't have much choice in the matter, and have heard great things about the Gelcolor line.
My concern is that the owner has not spent the money to invest in the Gelcolor system, and has just picked up a few bottles of color for us to use....we are without Bondaid, and Expert Touch remover. I am afraid to do a set on a client and have them fall apart, when Shellac is holdiing so well. I have a few questions...

Is the Bondaid necessary to have the look last 2 weeks?

Can you use Acetone to remove the product?

Does it really take 15 minutes to remove?

TIA-

Malea
bondaid is not necessary, but it is a good product. It's pretty much the same as scrub fresh, or any other dehydrator of that nature. Yes you use acetone. it comes off AWESOME in about ten minutes for me. I use a UV lamp with it, with no problems. Just be sure to mix the crap out of it. I've found it gets way longer wear than shellac so far, and my clients are loving it Smile
Bondaid is very helpful for folks who experience lifting, but it's not necessary for most. Acetone will work for removal but it does take longer than Expert Touch which gets it off cleanly in under ten minutes. Acetone is also more drying and you often get dried white finger tips and nails.

OPI Gelcolors is a great product line, will last longer than Shellac, and it will probably be okay without Bondaid and Expert Touch, but you might experience some problems.
(04-08-2012, 10:17 PM)NancySyd Wrote: Acetone will work for removal but it does take longer than Expert Touch which gets it off cleanly in under ten minutes.

Does anyone know what is responsible for the decreased soak-off time in Expert Touch versus acetone?

The MSDS suggests a combination of acetone, water, oil, fragrance, and coloring. I am failing to see what is causing the product to degrade cured gel polish faster than using acetone alone.

ACETONE - breaks down gel polish
AQUA/WATER - water
METHYL SOYATE - oil
ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE - oil
LIMONENE - fragrance
FRAGRANCE (PARFUM) - fragrance
ALOE BARBEDENSIS (ALOE VERA) LEAF EXTRACT - oil
TOCOPHERYL ACETATE - oil (vitamin E)
VITIS VINIFERA (GRAPE) SEED OIL - oil
PROPYLENE GLYCOL - dispersant
MACROCYSTIS PYRIFERA EXTRACT (KELP) - oil
CI 60725 (VIOLET 2) - coloring
It is of course possible that it is just perception, but it also might be that the oils helps prevent evaporation, keeping more acetone on the nail longer. I think people feel that the loodie's formula also works faster than plain acetone.
I think I will check out the Expert touch verses Accetone thing on my next Shellac. One hand of each and see if they work the same or not. I prob. won't get a chance till Fri. If anyone else trys this can you get back with the results?
I have been using GelColor sice it came out and I noticed that for some yes, it does last longer. I have couple of clients that OPI peels off like crazy and Shellac lasts flawlessly 2 weeks though.
I also noticed since people have been wearing OPI for 3 weeks on average it does take longer to remove.
It takes about 15 min (with heating pad) to remove it (with the use of OPI remover).
Shellac takes much less time to remove it. 10 min exactly and the product is soft and easy to remove.

I think it's wise to use both lines. Some colors I prefer in Shellac and some colors OPI.
For example if someone want's a "clean, fresh" pink I always use Shellac Romantique+Beau. OPI Bubble Bath and Passion fade to a dirty faded yellow on many people. I stopped using them Sad
More reviews on my blog: http://www.polished4pros.blogspot.com
(04-09-2012, 11:09 AM)vacanaillady Wrote: I think I will check out the Expert touch verses Accetone thing on my next Shellac. One hand of each and see if they work the same or not. I prob. won't get a chance till Fri. If anyone else trys this can you get back with the results?

I started using OPI Expert Touch for all removals. Takes the same amount of time for Shellac (10 min) but the nails seem less dehydrated.

I have never had to soak my OPI gelcolor longer than 10. Its always and consistantly falling off the nails before 10 min is even up. I also use straight up acetone, I do use the foil wrap method. I apply cuticle oil to the finger tip, and then apply my wrap. I also do not scuff the top coat. I find that the OPI gelcolor lasts beatiful and soaks off clean and easier than gelish or shellac. I use Gelish, and OPI as of now. I was using NSI polish pro, eco so quick and shellac until I fell in love with LED.
Thank you all for the information! I am excited to work with it!
Most of my clients prefer OPI out of the 4 lines of gel polish I carry. I'll be phasing out Young Nails and IBD and will just carry Gelish and OPI from now on.
Me too.
Gelish & OPI
so far everyone is loving OPI.

Has anyone tried using 2 coats of OPI basecoat?
I had read somewhere that it helps with the smoothness of the basecoat
Have u guys noticed u have to work super quick with the basecoat AND that u can't go over it (unless it is applied super thick). Seems like it dries on the nail very fast..kinda like a regular fast drying basecoat
I also notice some shrinkage of the dark colors..base & cuticle..but I am assuming it's b/c I am just getting used to using it.

other than that I LOVE the OPI.
I don't have issues with the base coat. What kind of work light are you working under?
I do have issues with shrinkage though, which I hate. It's just at the free edge. I now do 2 fingers at a time and flash cure for 15 secs to hold it in place. Works great!
i just use a regular manicure table lamp..nothing special.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing flash cures..I just was not sure about over curing the basecoat on the last fingers y'know.
but good to know someone else is doing & it is working
Sue don't put the base coat on the last fingers yet if that's a concern.
I don't have any problem with over curing though. It all comes off just fine.
K, sounds good Colleen Smile
I just heard u can over cure Gelish base making it harder to remove & was worried if that would effect OPI the same..
But glad to hear u are having no issues with that! YAY!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 0
Views: 1,413
11-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Last Postjessicam981
Replies: 2
Views: 3,455
07-25-2014, 07:41 PM