You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NY Times "Gel polish" post
Hi Everyone!

I've been on here for a while but hardly ever post unless I have a question or comment on a few pics. But anywhoo, I overheard one of my co-workers (non nail related), leaving a message for her manicurist and right before she ended her message she says, "I have an article for you to read from the NY Times about how Shellac destroys your nails". As soon as she got off I said, ummmm what?! lol... I was a little taken back by that of course and decided to find this article. The light bulb went off in my head when I read the application process. SMH

Here's the link...any thoughts?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/fashio...ef=fashion#
Forgive me if I offend anyone by saying this ,but anyone who thinks nails breathe is a moron...as long as you are breathing ,all the living parts of you are as well ,at least that is my half educated ,half common sence understanding of the human body and it's parts...nails ,like hair are alive at the root. I belive you would not be able to cut them or chemically treat them otherwise. Also, if they were living tissues ,wouldn't that defeat their purpose of being protective coverings ? Although I enjoyed reading that piece,she seems to be a quite humorous gal ,she clearly is clueless about nail services ,and not being educated by her smiling ,silent nail technician... Sad
(03-22-2012, 12:03 PM)lexibunny Wrote: Forgive me if I offend anyone by saying this ,but anyone who thinks nails breathe is a moron...as long as you are breathing ,all the living parts of you are as well ,at least that is my half educated ,half common sence understanding of the human body and it's parts...nails ,like hair are alive at the root. I belive you would not be able to cut them or chemically treat them otherwise. Also, if they were living tissues ,wouldn't that defeat their purpose of being protective coverings ? Although I enjoyed reading that piece,she seems to be a quite humorous gal ,she clearly is clueless about nail services ,and not being educated by her smiling ,silent nail technician... Sad

"breathing" at is pertains to nails and hair is not to be taken literally, but just a word used to describe nails and hair that don't have anything artificial on them. People use the term all the time and it's not literal.

Wonder if poor Jenny Allen knows that she did the damage to her nails herself when she decided to peel off the gel polish. A freakishly satisfying activity for "pickers", but will really damage the nails. Your literally peeling layers of nail off with that gel polish. It's makes for a real mess.
Too bad they don't allow comments on the article, we could all let her know that the damage was self inflicted. Good writer, but... idiot.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
(03-22-2012, 01:02 PM)kkgunn Wrote:
(03-22-2012, 12:03 PM)lexibunny Wrote: Forgive me if I offend anyone by saying this ,but anyone who thinks nails breathe is a moron...as long as you are breathing ,all the living parts of you are as well ,at least that is my half educated ,half common sence understanding of the human body and it's parts...nails ,like hair are alive at the root. I belive you would not be able to cut them or chemically treat them otherwise. Also, if they were living tissues ,wouldn't that defeat their purpose of being protective coverings ? Although I enjoyed reading that piece,she seems to be a quite humorous gal ,she clearly is clueless about nail services ,and not being educated by her smiling ,silent nail technician... Sad

"breathing" at is pertains to nails and hair is not to be taken literally, but just a word used to describe nails and hair that don't have anything artificial on them. People use the term all the time and it's not literal.

Wonder if poor Jenny Allen knows that she did the damage to her nails herself when she decided to peel off the gel polish. A freakishly satisfying activity for "pickers", but will really damage the nails. Your literally peeling layers of nail off with that gel polish. It's makes for a real mess.

While I agree that people don't mean it literally, as in nails having lungs, I do think people do mean that there is some kind of transfer of oxygen, water, other other things that needs to happen for nails to be healthy. I also think that most people don't see their nails as "dead" but see them as living tissue.
(03-22-2012, 01:37 PM)CandiceAE Wrote: Too bad they don't allow comments on the article, we could all let her know that the damage was self inflicted. Good writer, but... idiot.

Absolutely!!! LOL!
When anyone tells me their nails aren't able to breath, no they don't mean that their nails actually inhale or suck in air, but they do too mean there is no air getting into their nails. It is very literal. It has never meant, my nails are covered up. I'm sorry to rain on that parade. With that said. That was the most ridiculous article I have read in a long time and she deserves the damage she got from prying off her shellac. Her stupid car paint. I don't mind people having an opinion, but that was uneducated blabbering, she should stick to talker about her play. I would have no problem telling her so. Perhaps others who read her junk will write in with their own wonderful experience wearing shellac. And by the way who the heck puts on 2 base coats? This is why I hate when customers recount the steps. Likely it was not 2 base coats but a primer or dehydrator. Ok stepping off the box now that I am thouroughy annoyed.
I do understand that when they use the term breathe ,they don't mean to say that they actually inhale or suck in air ,but they mean that covering somehow damages them ,and keeps them from being healthy.If that were the case ,the new nail that keeps growing out from the cuticle would'nt be a new healthy regrowth. Whatever the case ,I have always found this to be ridiculous when someone says " my nails couldn't breathe" ,if youare taking in oxygen ,so are they ,if you take vitamins, and are eating ,they are nourished...creams and oils with vitamins applied topically ,will moisturize and maintain the flexibility of exposed existing nail and free edge. Just wanted to clarify where my head is at as far as that whole thing goes...btw ,all of you gals are the best ! I love this forum ....Smile
This is probably the article that was refered to by someone today that made my Rant of the Day List. I was doing a gel manicure on my lady when a former nail tech came over to my table and was talking to my client that had once been hers. Then she asked what she was getting done and I told her. She then said, " You know, this stuff isn't good for your nails or your health. It is not approved for use on nails by the FDA or EPA." I was my nice self and just smiled. My client loved it and wasn't too concerned about what was said- she is a Nurse's Assistant and knows about chemicals and product ingredients. I would never do anything so unprofessional or down-right rude! After she leaves I find out that she no longer does nails at all and her last job was at my salon aqbout 4 months ago. OK rant over. Thanks for the soapbox time.
Always be kind....you get farther.
(03-22-2012, 11:42 AM)js987 Wrote: Hi Everyone!

I've been on here for a while but hardly ever post unless I have a question or comment on a few pics. But anywhoo, I overheard one of my co-workers (non nail related), leaving a message for her manicurist and right before she ended her message she says, "I have an article for you to read from the NY Times about how Shellac destroys your nails". As soon as she got off I said, ummmm what?! lol... I was a little taken back by that of course and decided to find this article. The light bulb went off in my head when I read the application process. SMH

Here's the link...any thoughts?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/fashio...ef=fashion#

Oh my, how sad that someone had a terrible experience. There is no telling what type of "gel" polish was used. Six coats is not needed with the new gel polishes that came out recently. As usual it is the tech who isn't educated and doesn't follow proper procedure and the client isn't educated that gives an awesome product a bad name. Irritating to the max!! When done as instructed "gel" polish does not damage the natural nail. And too bad we can't comment on the article.
TN Nail Lady, how on earth did you keep your cool. I would have professionally as I could asked her to explain to me and my client what is unhealthy about it, and what makes products approved by the FDA? Then I would have spent time correcting her so she knows better. I don't know how you do it. I think the smoke signals flowing out of my ears would be a sign of bad things to come for anyone mouthing off like that to a client.
Lexibunny, I was agreeing with you. Smile about the breathing theory, we are totally on the same page as to what a client or anyone is really saying. Haha.
Well I'm so glad to see that I was not alone in my feelings! Its very clear that the tech did not educate the client which is really unfortunate. I'm going on my 4th year in this industry and this is just a reminder that I should always be on my game as it relates to educating my clients and also make sure that I'm using these products properly. I soooooooo wish we could comment! *shrugging shoulders* ah well.
(03-22-2012, 11:11 PM)sobeit Wrote: TN Nail Lady, how on earth did you keep your cool. I would have professionally as I could asked her to explain to me and my client what is unhealthy about it, and what makes products approved by the FDA? Then I would have spent time correcting her so she knows better. I don't know how you do it. I think the smoke signals flowing out of my ears would be a sign of bad things to come for anyone mouthing off like that to a client.
Lexibunny, I was agreeing with you. Smile about the breathing theory, we are totally on the same page as to what a client or anyone is really saying. Haha.

After she left, I told my client that I had never heard of anything on the market that had not been approved by the proper agencies. She just laughed and said, "Well, that's _______ for you. She's a crazy anyway. And I love this stuff!"
I feel that by not exploding- which I was inside- that i was the more professional person and that is how I want my clients to see me.
Always be kind....you get farther.
I think that wkdwitch or someone should get some facts and our comments together and send an email to the New York post to forward some information to the girl and maybe even get our side printed. But I doubt it would get posted as they probably wouldn't find our response interesting enough. A retraction would be even better as this girl had no facts and was clearly uneducated about the whole situation.
(03-22-2012, 06:19 PM)Tn Nail Lady Wrote: This is probably the article that was referred to by someone today that made my Rant of the Day List. I was doing a gel manicure on my lady when a former nail tech came over to my table and was talking to my client that had once been hers. Then she asked what she was getting done and I told her. She then said, " You know, this stuff isn't good for your nails or your health. It is not approved for use on nails by the FDA or EPA." I was my nice self and just smiled. My client loved it and wasn't too concerned about what was said- she is a Nurse's Assistant and knows about chemicals and product ingredients. I would never do anything so unprofessional or down-right rude! After she leaves I find out that she no longer does nails at all and her last job was at my salon about 4 months ago. OK rant over. Thanks for the soapbox time.

That was a hateful and rude thing to say. First of all, I am not aware of any nail products being 'approved' by the FDA or EPA. Ludicrous!
Anna
Wow. What a crazy article. She thinks it's car paint huh? It's really too bad we can't leave replies on that article!
Heart Gelishly
Not exactly what I would call "investigative reporting" - she goes to one salon in a city of thousands and basically writes off an entire burgeoning industry. The NY Times should be ashamed of allowing this type of biased and misleading content - it is the NY Times, after all! I totally agree with the other comments above - they should at least allow reader feedback. Appalling!
Natalie
Spa Owner
Spa Space, Chicago

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 8
Views: 6,095
11-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Last PostNail Raising