You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shellac or OPI gel color pedicure????
I hear about people using the SOG on clients toes. How does that work???? What I mean by that is...do you do a reg pedi first then foil wrap the toes and do the SOG application last? or do you soak off the gel first then do an entire spa pedi then do the SOG? Do you do the pedi in the spa chair and then put the gel on while the client is in the spa chair or at your table? and then how or where do the put their feet in the light? Also how much time does this all take? and how much more do you charge? Is this rigmarole all worth it for toes that already last pretty good with regular polish???? I'm confused! Huh HELP!
I dont do it, for one simple reason. My regular polish lasts 6 weeks on the toes. I would hate to have the same lasting power with 10X the removal time with sogp on the toes. Others have a different opinion.
We do SOGP pedicures, especially in the winter because the SOGP dries instantly, eliminating damage from boots and shoes. And I easily get 8-10 weeks from it. Also, the shine alone is worth it! For removal, we find the wraps and foils a pain and instead use an ultrasonic polish remover. It heats acetone and vibrates to help remove the SOGP. While I wouldn't soak fingernails in acetone, toenails are generally much tougher.
NancySyd, how do you properly soak off your gel polish on fingers then? In my experience pedicures should be done @ 4-6 weeks to keep them maintained well and the nails from getting long. 8-10 seems awful long to me.
We do regular wraps or foil and cotton on fingernails, but use the ultrasonic on toes. 8-10 weeks is long, and I recommend 6 weeks tops. But my toenails, for example, grow slow and I can easily get 8 weeks from a SOGP pedi with a little maintenance.
I do SOG pedicures all the time as well. People love the constant shine!

For soak off for feet I use a sheet of foil, lay it down and lay a single long piece of acetone-soaked cotton across all the toes, Then fold the end up over the toes, then fold up the sides.
Heart Gelishly
Great idea gelishly!
Hi there!!! I haven't been on for a while but I have an appointment for a gel polish pedi and I was also wondering if I should complete the gel polish procedure before I do the actual pedi or should I do the pedi then do the SOG??? BTW, thanks for bringing this up vacanaillady.
I do SOGP on my own toes and one or two clients occasionally. I hate the removal ,on myself ,and on them...Shine is fantastic ,but the only real perk is for doing Rock Star ,and for instant dry. Summer or winter ,however ,I don't have people sit and dry after a pedi. If properly prepped before you leave them ,they will dry on their own perfectly. In warm weather ,when polish is done ,I generously coat them w cuticle oil ,and away they go ! In winter this works equally well ,except I have them cut the end off an old pair of socks ,put them on with a pair of old flip flops ,and polish ,coat with oil and done. If getting hands done too ,I do their nail service after completing their pedi ,then reapply cuticle oil or speed spray ,wrap toes in a plastic sandwich bag ,they put their boots on and go....no complaints yet ,and have been doing it this way forever ! I also have no problems with anyones toe polish lasting for 6 weeks plus ,the toes neesd serious clipping and grooming however.
And just to clarify ,the thing I hate about removal is that it can be kind of awkward...Akward also can be where to put your lamp ,or ,some feet dont fit well.I have a Harmony 6g ,but have not used it on toes yet ,but that might be a bit easier since the bottom comes off.
One advantage of a gel polish pedicure is in the wintertime the client can put their shoes/boots back on, so it's a great opportunity to offer that service for the winter. Doesn't take me any longer to do than a regular service. For a pedicure I file off the gel polish. Comes off very easily. I do the gel polish first and then finish with the other steps, just like you would do for manicures. The lamp sits quite well on the tub, it is actually easier to do than manicures because I have a lot more stuff on my table. ;-)
I do them quite a bit, and I also use gel polish to do Rock Star toes.
I do the soak off before I start the pedi. I wrap 2 toes at a time with cotton foil, and the big toes I wrap by themselves.

I do the clipping, filing, cuticle care and then buff the nails before I apply the gel polish. If I do exfoliation I do it before as well, being careful not to get it on the nails. I know some people don't soak for their pedis, but I do. I have never had any problems.

I use 2 UV lights on either side of my pedi throne. When I'm working on one foot, the other is in the light. I have tried the LED lights for pedis, but have gotten complaints that it burns from several people....so I switched back to UV lights.
Luv glitter, how is it not taking you any longer when each layer has to cure befor the next is applied which we don't do during a regular polish service? The cure time alone is additional.
(03-20-2012, 11:22 PM)sobeit Wrote: Luv glitter, how is it not taking you any longer when each layer has to cure befor the next is applied which we don't do during a regular polish service? The cure time alone is additional.

The cure time doesn't take any longer than it does to polish, so by the time I have the one foot polished, the other foot is cured. It is a back and forth process. The topcoat takes longer, but only two minutes longer total for both feet. So really it doesn't take that much longer than doing regular polish.
It doesn't take me any longer either Peg. I think where I save time is not having to have them sit there while their polish dries. IDK....it just works out.
After thinking more about this overnight, it occurred to me that it really isn't any different than when doing a gel polish manicure. Takes the same amount of time for that, doesn't it? It does for me, anyway.

Great question and thank you for asking. I hope this will help you reconsider doing gel polish pedicures. What a great way to make extra money for not doing anything that different.
(03-15-2012, 08:38 AM)lexibunny Wrote: In winter this works equally well ,except I have them cut the end off an old pair of socks ,put them on with a pair of old flip flops ,and polish ,coat with oil and done. If getting hands done too ,I do their nail service after completing their pedi ,then reapply cuticle oil or speed spray ,wrap toes in a plastic sandwich bag

But see, that's exactly what I hate. I've gotten a fantastic pedi, my toes look beautiful and then to preserve that I put on old socks and flip flops or wrap my feet in a plastic bag. Ick. That's not what I want at the end of a lovely experience. I want to slip my beautifully exfoliated and buffed feet with the gorgeously painted toes into my boots and not have to be concerned about messing up my pedi. Gel polish does that with fantastic shine and in no more time than a regular polish pedicure.

I'm sure your work is so good that no one complains about these steps to preserve it, but gel polishes up the ante a bit, in a good way. With regular polish my pedi may last 6 weeks, but it loses a lot of its luster after two weeks. As I write this, I'm looking at my four week old pedicure that looks like it was done this morning!

I think once you get a gel polish pedi, there's no go going back.
Hummmmm...I will have to re evaluate. I bought the Harmony 18g light. Pedis would be easier if I would have bought the OPI light! darn!

Thank you all for your great info.! This is the best site for nail info.!
(03-22-2012, 10:52 AM)vacanaillady Wrote: Hummmmm...I will have to re evaluate. I bought the Harmony 18g light. Pedis would be easier if I would have bought the OPI light! darn!

Thank you all for your great info.! This is the best site for nail info.!

I have both and I think the 18g is better for pedis. The 18g is motion sensor activated so all you do is put the foot in. The OPI requires you to touch a small bar in the back of the lamp to activate it - that's easy with your hand, but harder with your foot, especially on the floor.
NancySyd, I like your reply about slipping your beautifully exfoliated buffed, and gorgeously polished toes into your boots. I equally enjoy my gel polished toes that I can slip right into the shower or into bed with, lol...
(03-22-2012, 07:02 PM)lexibunny Wrote: NancySyd, I like your reply about slipping your beautifully exfoliated buffed, and gorgeously polished toes into your boots. I equally enjoy my gel polished toes that I can slip right into the shower or into bed with, lol...

Oh yes, isn't slipping into a newly made bed with beautifully buffed and polished feet the best?Heart
Do you remove the bottom of the 18g to do the feet?
(03-23-2012, 11:54 AM)vacanaillady Wrote: Do you remove the bottom of the 18g to do the feet?

I know people who do, but I've never had too. Feet fit in there with the bottom in place.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 3
Views: 1,834
07-09-2015, 09:30 AM
Last Postsueefd
Replies: 11
Views: 7,281
10-24-2013, 01:21 AM