You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help please pictures
I did one of my regulars today who wears Gelish. We soak off about every 6 weeks. This is what her nails looked like today after soaking them off. (sorry for the way they look at this stage) There are 5 nails that are lifting away from the nail bed. I am freaking out.
I have never seen this happen before even with acrylics. Maybe 1 nail but not 5 all at once. Can anyone tell me what this could be and how it could have been caused? I assured her that I would research it and have answers for her asap. please help!

[Image: pattysnail.jpg]

[Image: pattysnails.jpg]
I love nails!
[quote='lam269' pid='17453' dateline='1331265284']
I did one of my regulars today who wears Gelish. We soak off about every 6 weeks. This is what her nails looked like today after soaking them off. (sorry for the way they look at this stage) There are 5 nails that are lifting away from the nail bed. I am freaking out.
I have never seen this happen before even with acrylics. Maybe 1 nail but not 5 all at once. Can anyone tell me what this could be and how it could have been caused? I assured her that I would research it and have answers for her asap. please help!

What do you mean you soak off every 6 weeks? She goes this long between appts? or does she wear the same color and your just fill regrowth area with color? Just trying to understand. Thank.

Anna
I have seen this a lot in mature clients. It is onycholysis. The most common thing I have been told by more seasoned nail techs is it is cause my a yeast infection which can be caused naturally by the body, not necessarily from contamination from anything you did. Also it can be from a mineral deficiency, trying to clean her nails and pressing too hard, constantly tapping her fingers on hard services or side effects from drugs she is taking. Te commend she go to a doctor and don't try to diagnose it for her. Tell her it MAY be this, this or this. Hope this helps.
It can also be an allergic reaction. I had a client have this with hard gels and the dr told her she was allergic to something that was being used on her nails.
Can I ask about your soak off process? And do you add anything to the acetone?

I have seen this happen on a client with using regular nail polish. She was also told it was an allergic reaction to something she was using, could be the polish, or her oil, her lotion, soap, shampoo, cleaning agent. Anything new, or a developed allergy to something she has been using. Wearing gloves could narrow that down to her cosmetic use. There are so many reasons why the nails lifts from the beds.
I wonder if part of the problem is that the nails are too long for a s/o product? If the nails at that length bend and flex (which gp allows) then you might get some separation. You wouldn't get the same thing with acrylics because the nail can't flex as much.

I had one client who goes 3 weeks with no chipping, so I was letting her have her nails a bit longer than usual, since she had no problems. She started getting some splitting in the layers of her nail and a little lifting of the nail plate. I went back to the regular short length and two appointments later (6 weeks) the damage is almost completely gone.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
it seems to me like onycholysis.the hairdresser in the salon i work has this when she is dealing with a lot of water.maybe this has something to do with your client.
She comes every two weeks, every third time we soak off.. She has had Gelish for a year and a half. Could it be an allergy to Gelish even though she has been doing it for that long? I will have to ask her if she taps her nails...
Is there a treatment if it's onycholysis?
My soak off entails filing the top layer, soaking in a double layer bowl with warm acetone for 3 minutes, scraping off old product, then proceed to prep process. I don't add anything to the acetone.. Sobeit, I didn't even think of the possibility of it being something new she is doing or using. I will also ask her about that, thank you.
Thank you for the replies, I will pass this info along to her.
Candace AE, I will take the length down also and see if that helps.
Any more replies are appreciatedSmile
I love nails!
(03-10-2012, 02:09 PM)lam269 Wrote: She comes every two weeks, every third time we soak off.. She has had Gelish for a year and a half. Could it be an allergy to Gelish even though she has been doing it for that long? I will have to ask her if she taps her nails...
Is there a treatment if it's onycholysis?
My soak off entails filing the top layer, soaking in a double layer bowl with warm acetone for 3 minutes, scraping off old product, then proceed to prep process. I don't add anything to the acetone.. Sobeit, I didn't even think of the possibility of it being something new she is doing or using. I will also ask her about that, thank you.
Thank you for the replies, I will pass this info along to her.
Candace AE, I will take the length down also and see if that helps.
Any more replies are appreciatedSmile

You will want to soak the nails for the recommended time for Gelish as well. Scraping to soon, can cause an issue. I believe its 10 min.
I'm interested in the presence of all of those splinter hemorrhages on that one finger. That says injury, to me, but does not explain the rest. Hmmm......
Denise Anderson
Attitudes
Salem, OR
Along with the other questions asked, I am curious about how you're curing the gelish. What light are you using? Is it a Harmony light?
Darcy
Light Elegance Educator
I wonder, are you doing a fill in between soak off, with the gelish color, or are you filing it all the way off and only using the soak off method every other time? If you fill the SOGP then it will become harder to soak off, as now you have 3 layers of base, 3 layers of color and 3 of the top coat. Depending on how much you removed for the fill of color. It still requires the full 10 min. And more if there are that many layers. There is a reason for the times if I can find Dough Schoons info on the reason, I will link it to you.
So to help troubleshoot, what are you doing between soaking off? And have you ever added oil to the acetone, or to the fingers to see if that helps. Onycholysis is not an infection, but a reaction to something like allergy, or force. I was thinking as is Candice that they may be long for her and she is using them in a way that is causing pressure to the nail bed.
onyxkeeper,
I said the same thing about the forfinger with the "splinters growing out" looks to me like it was injured too, but she said no.
sobeit
Yes, I do a fill every two weeks with gelish. I file down to the last color prior to the fill, so its not getting too too thick.
I have never added anything to the acetone prior to soaking, what kind of oil should I add? How much? I will sure try that. I will also let nails saok longer now. I will also have a discussion with her about her habits, ie:tapping, or using any force on them. I will also recommend shortening them.

Darcy, I am using the brand new Harmony LED 5 finger cure lamp.
Prior to that, I was using the Gelish 9g LED lamp.

I love nails!
Lifting like this can also be caused by various health problems, such as thyroid issues. Has she been having any new health problems lately? Changed or started a new medication for anything? I would still refer her to her doctor just to rule out something medical causing it.

Your soak off does seem very short though - only 3 minutes? Gelish is supposed to be soaked off for 10 minutes. I never have to Scrape the polish left off either. If any bits remain after the 10 minutes it comes off with just a slight push with an orangewood stick. I do foil wraps though, not soaking in a bowl
Heart Gelishly
Iam269, I use olive oil. I put a cap full in a 1/4 of a small bowl of acetone or enough acetone to cover the nails. If its foil cotton wraps, I apply oil directly to the mail and fingertip, then wrap in the oil. You can use your cuticle oil, it works well. If you have oil with a dropper, just use a dropper full in the bowl. Or a drop per finger tip.
this happens to me when i use glue to put tips on. then it just grows out. I'm allergic to glue. the dark spots looks like splintering from trauma
Debbie
I agree with everyone else, it is onycholysis. Are you using the complete Gelish system? Base, topcoat and gel polish color?[/color]
I agree with everyone else, it is onycholysis. Are you using the complete Gelish system? Base, topcoat and gel polish color?
Robin Stopper Renner
Nails by Robin/R.S.Innovations, LLC.
Mount Dora, Florida
http://www.wrist-assist.com
[email protected]
(03-11-2012, 02:10 PM)Darcy Wrote: Along with the other questions asked, I am curious about how you're curing the gelish. What light are you using? Is it a Harmony light?

Darcy, Why are you asking about which light it is?
Rose~to eliminate the possibility of improperly cured product. LED lights produce a much more narrow spectrum of light (than say a traditional 9watt uv lamp produces) for curing, so if it were being cured in an LED light, it is very important to use the light that the product is designed to be cured in, to avoid exposing clients to uncured gel, which could initiate an allergic reaction or sensitivity over time.

Iam269~I think that I would give her a copy of each MSDS sheet for each product used and let her take that to her Dr. I am afraid that over time, we may see much more of this type of issue with continued soaking to remove gel polishes. Sad
Darcy
Light Elegance Educator
Gelishly,
I had not thought to ask her if she was having any health problems or taking meds, but she has not mentioned a thing about health issues..
I will be soaking longer now...
Sobeit,
Thanks for the tip on the olive oil. Im sure it will be more cost effective than cuticle oil. I have an eyedropperSmile)
Deb0869
How long does it take for your nails to grow out when this happens ot oyu?
Wrist assist Robin,
Yes, I only use Gelish. Im not mixing anything else.

Does anyone know what I can give her, or tell her to get to get the onycholysis to grow out? And how long might it take?
I love nails!
(03-13-2012, 11:31 PM)lam269 Wrote: Gelishly,
I had not thought to ask her if she was having any health problems or taking meds, but she has not mentioned a thing about health issues..
I will be soaking longer now...
Sobeit,
Thanks for the tip on the olive oil. Im sure it will be more cost effective than cuticle oil. I have an eyedropperSmile)
Deb0869
How long does it take for your nails to grow out when this happens ot oyu?
Wrist assist Robin,
Yes, I only use Gelish. Im not mixing anything else.

Does anyone know what I can give her, or tell her to get to get the onycholysis to grow out? And how long might it take?

Onycholysis is just the lifting of the nail and sometimes can take a while to grow out. It sometimes is like chasing a run in the carpet. The important thing is to keep underneath her nails clean and dry as to not add greenies (pseudomonas) to the problem or for that matter other infections.

Anna

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 2,090
05-14-2015, 05:38 AM
Last Postilovenailshops
Replies: 1
Views: 2,268