You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your first job...
I've managed to get my very first job (so long as I pass my state boards) and I started today.

However, it seems as if everything I learned in school is wrong. I am anxious, because I feel like I have to completely forget about these past three months, and learn everything over again the way the owner and other nails techs want me to complete services.

Do anyone have any advice on how to get over all this nervousness? I have been taking notes and being attentive to everything my boss has been showing/telling me. I just hope that I will be good enough like the other nail techs...
Nail Technology Student
http://thepolishednail.blogspot.com/[/color]
My only advice is be careful working without a license. You dont have one until you pass boards and they send it to you in the mail. If you get caught your rights to work as a tech will be revoked and if you hurt someone before that comes in the mail you are really up a creek without a paddle. It's really best to not start working on clients until you have the paper in your hand. I know it sounds like a lecture, but it's the law we all work under and work to protect.
(03-01-2012, 11:20 PM)sobeit Wrote: My only advice is be careful working without a license. You dont have one until you pass boards and they send it to you in the mail. If you get caught your rights to work as a tech will be revoked and if you hurt someone before that comes in the mail you are really up a creek without a paddle. It's really best to not start working on clients until you have the paper in your hand. I know it sounds like a lecture, but it's the law we all work under and work to protect.

Thanks for the advice, but I have a temporary work permit, which allows me to work for the month until I have to take the State Boards.
Nail Technology Student
http://thepolishednail.blogspot.com/[/color]
I see you passed. Congratulations.
I was so nervous my hands shook! It will pass with time and when you get comfortable with the new place.

The school taught you by the book, there are short cuts that can be taken without being wrong, so if the owner suggests things to you that are different than what you learned in school, she's got the experience that she can pass on to you. On the other hand, some places don't adhere to sanitation like they should....there's NO short cuts there. If she's trying to compromise that, then you may not have found the best salon for you.