You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going Crazy *injured*
Some of you know and some of you don't know that I suffered a lisfranc injury Jan 1st 2012, fell down my friends porch steps. As a nail tech, I thought I knew everything about the feet. I didn't. Here is a link to my foot injury. Its rare, and serious and veerrrrryyyy long in healing ( I will walk in my own shoes in 9 months they say). http://www.orthoinfo.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00162
Anyhoo, I am going stir crazy some days, not being able to do much, let alone not working much. I was part time to begin with, and I am thankful for that right now, so I didn't have to do much rearranging. The constant need to reschedule or be soo limited is embarrassing for me. I hate it. S now I only get to work one day a week. One really long awesome day of nail fun. I used to work 4 hours a day 3-4 days a week. Now its 10 only once. I cannot do pedicure soaks, without help from a coworker so my clients are stuck with mini toe jobs hahaha. (Thank you Audra for taking my clients for me)
I sit at home, foot up, trying to learn tricks and art on youtube, using facebook and beautytech to keep me connected to the world.
I have a knee scooter to get around out of the house when I get to go, and its a life saver, I actually was busy last week, had something to do every single day. Yay it was nice to feel normal, I spent my Birthday Jan 10th being 4 days out of surgery throwing a pity party and my 18th anniversary (feb 18th) trying to look sexy in a giant robo boot ahahahaha. Right now I cannot get into or out of the car alone with the scooter. Cant figure out how to safely get it in the back or the trunk and then hop to the driver door. So I dont get to go anywhere alone. I was cleared to start weight bearing, but thats slower than I imagined. I am making an appointment for phys therapy. I just want my life back. Not walking for over 6 weeks is a serious chore. And I have many more weeks of this. Walking is a long way away still. I am however amazed at how quick these weeks injured have gone by.
I just wanted to let all that out. Being alone means no one to talk to for hours on end. Plus I want to know if anyone has had or has ever come across anyone with a lisfranc injury? I have 2 permanent screws now. Sorry guy this was so long, and somewhat off topic of nails. Kinda. haha
Awwww. HUGS Peggy. I can't even imagine what you're going through. Please know that as always, you can vent to me whenever you feel the need. I wish I lived out there, I'd make sure you got out of the house!
I will pray that you're recovery goes on fast-mode and that you're up and running .... Yes, running, very soon.
I'd be going stir crazy right now! I've got a friend who had to do the knee scooter and she drove herself. I'll ask her if there's any tips to manuevering around better with it.
(02-20-2012, 03:25 PM)Donna in Huntsville, TX. Wrote: I'd be going stir crazy right now! I've got a friend who had to do the knee scooter and she drove herself. I'll ask her if there's any tips to manuevering around better with it.

I need to know how to get from the back of the car to the driver seat without weight on the injured leg. After phys therapy when I can take small steps on my heel I will be fine. Until then, if you cannot step, you have to hop, which is tiring.
have you tried a collapsable walker that you could get out and sue it to get to and from your trunk for the scooter. the colapse done fairly small.

Good luck hopes for fast healing.
(02-20-2012, 05:12 PM)Tammi T Wrote: have you tried a collapsable walker that you could get out and sue it to get to and from your trunk for the scooter. the colapse done fairly small.

Good luck hopes for fast healing.

I have not heard of that. I will look it up. The walker I have now is pretty big and had a seat which comes in handy if I want to sit and just push backwards to get around. The knee scooter is a necessity for me at the store or work, its wonderful. I will try and find what your talking about. Freedom would be great.
What about keeping a crutch in your trunk and when you scoot to the trunk, trade out and crutch to your drivers door. Then crutch back to your trunk when your ready to get out?
CND trained since '02
Lumos & Famous Names- Famous Partner~ want Lumos? Email me!
Www://facebook.com/cloudnineathens
Lumos! Dadi' Oil! Vamoos!
here is a link to what i am talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxadTSL7nfo
(02-20-2012, 06:43 PM)CloudNineNails Wrote: What about keeping a crutch in your trunk and when you scoot to the trunk, trade out and crutch to your drivers door. Then crutch back to your trunk when your ready to get out?

I may have to practice that with my hubby around just in case. My only issue right now is the weight bearing. I cannot do much, I can hardly stand it. I am a slave to the help I have. Blah. As I add weight and therapy I will be able to go to the door without help as long as its just a few steps. I cannot wait for that to happen. This is not only painful but boring as hell.
Tammi thank you for that. Smile
oh Man! I am so sorry! I say on your facebook page today that you were hurt, and wondered what had happened! I really cannot imagine what you are going through Sad
Dedee
Peggy, I checked with my friend and she said she kept hers in the back seat floor board. Her's was really light weight and she had no problem handling it. It sounds like you're dealing with a hatch back car maybe, so this no help to you. One thing she DID want me to pass along was that she kept having to tighten the back wheel because it'd work itself so loose it would nearly come off. It would have been disastrous to her and for you, too! Be sure and check that.
I don't know what kind of a car you have, but can you keep the scooter in the passenger seat or behind the drivers seat? That is what my friend did with hers. She has a minivan, so she either put it on her passenger seat and just lifted it over her lap (hers was super-light) or had it in the floor behind her seat - with her minivan she was able to just open her door and her back door, reach back and slide it out.
Heart Gelishly
Thank you all for the advice. My knee scooter is pretty big and a little awkward to collapse and lift. It won't fit in the front, but I bet I can do the back seat on my own. I just so far cannot take a single step without something to keep the weight to a minimum on the foot.
This is what my scooter looks like, not that it matters. What an ordeal.
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-NeeBop-S...B0013EOLSY
Just sending love and hugs! Heart

Kristi

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profil...ef=profile

"Winners never quit and quitters never win"
I have a UTI now, so I will just accept my miserableness. If its not one thing, its two. hahaha. Actually I am pissed of about feeling so blah right now. But I wont dwell anymore.
Peggy sorry to read about everything you are going through right now I hope you get better soon, hugs!.

I 've deal with those UTI like 3 times in a row, and I know how annoying they are Sad.
Peggy I wanted to send you HUGE cyber hugs sweetie. I haven't got any advice I'm sorry but I want you to know that even though I have been MIA for a few weeks, I've been thinking of you lots.

I too have a UTI at the moment, so I know how you feel in this regard. They are a common thing for me but it doesn't make them any less annoying though.

Take care.
You girls are so sweet. I am back to a more normal life now. I will be in this boot for a long time. I go back to the Ortho surgeon March 15th and will start Phys Therapy March 2nd. I hope at that visit with the OS that I am cleared to walk full foot, or get put in an orthotic walking shoe. I have one I saw online and I will show it to him, see what he thinks. This boot doesnt allow for much ankle movement. I am using a walker now, full time at home, I need the knee scooter for longer periods of standing time though.
We cleaning out my living room of the computer and the table with all my needs right there, so everything is back in its place. I can "walk" to the office easily now so I dont want to be on the sofa, feeling trapped. I have a cup of coffee with me for the first time in 2 months. Feels kinda like it used tah.
Oh,my! I just read this! My receptionist has the same injury! She's so miserable! She's having surgery in March and she's been told she can't put any weight on it for a long time afterwards! She only works two short days a week so she'll be answering the phone, scheduling and doing computer work for me till she recuperates.

My heart goes out to you! It IS a serious problem!!

(02-25-2012, 12:59 PM)harmonysky Wrote: Oh,my! I just read this! My receptionist has the same injury! She's so miserable! She's having surgery in March and she's been told she can't put any weight on it for a long time afterwards! She only works two short days a week so she'll be answering the phone, scheduling and doing computer work for me till she recuperates.

My heart goes out to you! It IS a serious problem!!

Oh suck, If she needs anyone to talk to about it, please give her my email. [email protected]
I can also point her in the direction of some forums for the injury and a few success stories. The worst part is the sitting. If you can keep your sense of humor and sanity, it will work out. I get frustrated with not being able to do everything I used to. The first 2 weeks my body hurt so bad from trying to get up on one leg and scoot one legged and sit one legged. It was exhausting. It didn't take long after those initial weeks to acquire one beastly leg strong enough to do anything. Its giant LOL.
The internet is a discouraging place to find info about the lisfranc healing process. I would be happy to try and lift her spirits. I have been pretty lucky with how short of time it took to weight bear. 6 weeks. I was expecting 8-12. I wish her all the best. Its very sweet of you to put her on light duty, working is so important throughout for the mind. It helps you feel normal-ish. Thank you for the support, I appreciate it so much.
I told her she has to keep working to keep her sanity. I can't run my business without my receptionists. They're my lifeline! But of course, if she isn't feeling well, she can stay home. I can find help!

I'll pass on your email to her. You're a sweetheart!
With the support of my husband and daughter, I was able to walk/hop from my trunk (put the scooter in) to the drivers seat and drive home, then get my scooter out all by my self. LOL ima big girl now. It was the best thing ever. So empowering to start getting back to normal. I will be able to work my old schedule now that I know I can do it. I was terrified of how to try and walk and have no one there, so I practiced it a few times with them both near me. It's a long road. And it will be depressing if you don't have things to do and ways to make it seem like progress. I have a walker, with a seat and wheels, I sat in it and pushed backwards with one leg so I could do some simple things like Landry, dishes, make a snack. And I had my computer handy by the sofa until today. I often felt prisoner on my couch having to keep the swelling down. But I read, played video games and worked a little. I can offer support if she needs it. Smile
UPDATE. I started physical therapy Friday. I was able to walk with just one crutch now. I can get more back to normal. This is the part that hurts. The rehab and pain and stiffness. But it will be worth it in the end. I don't have to worry about how to put my scooter in the car, I can just toss the crutch in next to me. I am so excited. I will do the exercises and I will be in heels by Christmas. Sounds so long away, but its still a goal. I have a closet full of the best heels. They are a part of my personality. I will wear them. My physical therapist was actually surprised and impressed with some of my range of motion. While some of it was pretty poor. I could do things she didn't think I could. You never know until your in the position of non mobility how much you miss a simple thing like standing on two feet. I did that too yesterday. I actually got to take pressure off my hips with her showing me how to properly and safely distribute my weight again. This is the best thing ever.
So sorry to hear about your injury! Praying for a speedy recover for you.. <3
Janet

http://www.janetthenailfairy.com
Amore Ultima Gel
3D Lash Extensionist

*Ask*Believe*Receive*

Happy people know that regardless of what happened yesterday, last month, years ago.....Or what might happen later today, tomorrow, or next year..... Now is the only place where happiness can actually be found and experienced.
Hi Peggy,

I am so sorry to hear of your injury. I hope you continue to recover quickly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 13
Views: 8,702
03-07-2013, 12:31 AM
Last PostJulieM
BornToBling
Replies: 18
Views: 14,670