You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
just received first bottle of Linkage
I just got my first bottle of Linkage the other day. I read all the threads I could find about it so I have been making sure to clean the threads before putting the cap back on and I cut the brush off that came on the cap, it was way too long and just didn't feel right to me. I tried the q-tips (ordered from TEN) but not sure I like using those either, so I had a clean little brush that I have decided to try it. I have been cleaning it after I'm done as well. Is there anything I am missing? Any other tricks I should know about it. I am excited to find out if this is as good as everyone says it is. I have pretty much only used No Lift Primer and I hope this works a little better. Oh about how much should I being putting on each nail?
Linkage is an awesome but finicky bonder. I started using it with the swabs, which should be medical grade which are wound tighter, not Q-tips, just wanted to clarify that. Q-tips will absorb waaay too much and will leave cotton fibers in the bottle. ONE dip with a medical grade swab will do all 10 nails. No double dipping is needed, just dip in for about a second to completely saturate the swab. To double dip will introduce debris in to the bottle.
I dislike the brush, imo, it causes the Linkage to set up faster by putting more air in the bottle. If you feel like you need to use one, use a separate brush, clean it very well afterwards and it'll do fine. Store the bottle in a dark place away from light, always cap promptly after you finish. i keep mine in a polish bottle holder so I don't accidently spill it which will make you cry!!
If it ever thickens, it's useless, don't bother trying to use it on anyone. Always have a back up bottle on hand of Linkage or another brand that you like, because once the bottle gets low, it could evaporate completely (overnight!) if the threads are the least bit gunked up, letting air in.
I found a foolproof way to solve Linkage's finicky nature. I bought a couple of tiny bottles. One is 1/4oz, one is 1/8oz. I cut the brush off of the 1/8oz cap.(I didn't want to just pull it out because of the seal being maybe compromised). Using a tiny dropper, I put a bit of Linkage in the 1/8oz bottle and filled the 1/4oz halfway with 99% alcohol. I store the brush in the alcohol. Since it's longer than the 1/8oz bottle is high, it can reach all the way to the bottom. If the Linkage gets thick, you just clean out the bottle and refill it, and your big bottle stays uncontaminated. The alcohol I pour out after each use and then flush it with some more alcohol. You just have to make sure that you dry the alcohol off the brush very well before you use it in the Linkage. I've done this for months and have had absolutely no issues. I hope that all made sense... I've been awake tooo long. Anyway, hopefully that'll help.
Jan in CO

Thanks for your reply. It seems like a lot of fuss, it must be worth it for people to go through this much trouble and keep using it. Thanks for the suggestions.
Thumbs Up 
(02-02-2012, 11:35 PM)youvegotnail! Wrote: I found a foolproof way to solve Linkage's finicky nature. I bought a couple of tiny bottles. One is 1/4oz, one is 1/8oz. I cut the brush off of the 1/8oz cap.(I didn't want to just pull it out because of the seal being maybe compromised). Using a tiny dropper, I put a bit of Linkage in the 1/8oz bottle and filled the 1/4oz halfway with 99% alcohol. I store the brush in the alcohol. Since it's longer than the 1/8oz bottle is high, it can reach all the way to the bottom. If the Linkage gets thick, you just clean out the bottle and refill it, and your big bottle stays uncontaminated. The alcohol I pour out after each use and then flush it with some more alcohol. You just have to make sure that you dry the alcohol off the brush very well before you use it in the Linkage. I've done this for months and have had absolutely no issues. I hope that all made sense... I've been awake tooo long. Anyway, hopefully that'll help.
Jan in CO

great idea!!

What is Linkage??? And yes it sounds like a LOT of fuss. It must really ROCK!
Gina, nail tech. NC
I honestly don't work that hard at it. I've been using Linkage for about 3 years now and only rarely will I have trouble with stickiness on the bottle.

When I open a new bottle of Linkage, I take the brush out, cut it with scissors down to about 1/4" (I don't like how long the brush is-gets too much Linkage on the nail) and use it like that. The shorter bristles allow me to sort of scrub it into the nail and use less. When the liquid gets lower than the brush, I just sort of tip the bottle over to the side and wiggle the brush around so the bristles get wet. There's less than 1/8th of an inch of Linkage left in each bottle before I have to throw it away. That last part gets hard and unusable almost overnight. The last quarter of the bottle gets a little thicker but it's still very usable till it gets down to the last 1/8".

While I'm pretty careful about putting the brush back into the bottle, sometimes the threads get a little mucked up and the cap gets stuck. I have my handy dandy pliers available and I use them to open it. That's when I take the time to clean off the threads with some acetone (making sure none gets in the bottle). I probably have to do that 3 times for a bottle (that's once a week). For me, a bottle will last about 2 1/2 or 3 weeks. I do nails 5 days a week every hour for 8 or 9 hours a day so I think that's pretty good. I just ordered 4 bottles because I'm down to my last one. Those 4 will be good for about 3 months.

So, I spend about $20 a month ($60 for four bottles plus $5 shipping) on Linkage. That may sound a little spendy but the time it saves me in repairing lifting is totally worth it! I wouldn't use anything else and my clients love that they never have to worry about losing nails.

I just want to add here, that when I finish prepping someone's nails, I use a manicure brush moistened with Swipe and use that to scrub off the nails so the nail plate is very clean-no bits of stuff left on the nail so I don't wipe off the brush before I put it back in the bottle. Every once in a while, the Linkage will get a little cloudy but it doesn't affect how it works at all. I know some people say that if it gets cloudy it's unusable but that hasn't been the case for me.

I guess I look at how much time it takes for me to do all those rituals as opposed to getting my clients in and out of the chair in the time I've allowed for them so I can move on to the next. If the bottle doesn't last as long as if I did all that, then it certainly makes up for the time I'd be spending in repairs and fixing lifting.

Once again, I'd never use anything else but Linkage!

(02-04-2012, 10:02 AM)nailtechNC28117 Wrote: What is Linkage??? And yes it sounds like a LOT of fuss. It must really ROCK!

Linkage is the bonder that TEN (Tuff Enuff Nails) gel sells. If you've got problem lifters, and you know it's NOT your prep, then it could be answer for you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 11
Views: 2,752
07-17-2016, 11:10 AM
Last Post[email protected] USA
Replies: 97
Views: 119,621
07-15-2016, 10:50 PM