You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
shellac problem!
i have a problem when i use specific shellac colors.no matter how well i shake the bottles or how thin i apply the layers fedora,asphalt and black pool shrink.i have the brisa lamp ,the old one ,and i i follow all the instructions.i have seen all the videos from fingernailfixer for tips and tricks but i have no luck. Sad i don't know what else to do.my bulbs are not old but I'm going to change them in any case that this might cause the problem.has any of you have any kind of tips to help me with this?
I just bought Black pool and haven't tried it out yet. I'll have to see if it shrinks on me. I hope someone can help you out.
(02-02-2012, 07:25 PM)tsita78 Wrote: i have a problem when i use specific shellac colors.no matter how well i shake the bottles or how thin i apply the layers fedora,asphalt and black pool shrink.i have the brisa lamp ,the old one ,and i i follow all the instructions.i have seen all the videos from fingernailfixer for tips and tricks but i have no luck. Sad i don't know what else to do.my bulbs are not old but I'm going to change them in any case that this might cause the problem.has any of you have any kind of tips to help me with this?

Are you capping the free edge of the nail with the Shellac polish? I find that if I don't do that with the darker colors, then they will shrink back. Try that out and see if that is the solution. I hope that helped!
Nail Technology Student
http://thepolishednail.blogspot.com/[/color]
yes i always cap the free edge because i noticed that the color shrinks before i finish applying in all 4 fingers and when im done with all of them i go back to the first one and make sure i cap the free edge again.it still shrinks though..
I have all of the shellac colors and have never had a shrinking problem... ever! The only time I had an issue is when I used top coat instead of base coat (dumb dumb Smile but I am thinking it could very well be your bulbs because I notice as our bulbs have gotten older, before we bought new ones, I couldn't get the same coverage on the free edges as we had in the past. We had one color, red baroness, that wouldn't seem to mix and was very diluted looking so I contacted Creative and they sent me a new one.
Ive been having problems with Studio White lately. I have to apply 3 coats otherwise it is noticiably streaky. And Fedora, unless i dry brush it, wrinkles under the lamp.
I have some shrinkage problems with all brands... (happens rarely) seems that it is if I apply the base coat too thick or sometimes I think it's room temperature. When it happens - I end up doing two nails and "fast setting" it and then moving on. It seems to correct itself on the second and third coats if necessary. I find it doesn't effect wearability... it's just stinking frustrating for the nail lady.... Smile
Terri Lancaster
Nails By Design
253-350-2591

SPREAD VICIOUS GLEE!
Yes I find when using dark colors, not all mind you just some I have to do two or three nails and then fast set for 10 seconds. That does work.I only have to do it on the first coat.
one thing i noticed from your replies is the base coat.maybe its something i haven't considered.sometimes i apply it more and maybe this might cause shrinking.i will notice that next time and i will see what happens.i would love to hear more though from you!
The colors you mentioned are the ones I'm having issues with.
I gave up on Fedora. That one always wrinkles unless the bottle is very new (first few uses are OK, not perfect but OK)
I have tried thinner coats but then I have to do 3 coats to get a good coverage.
Same thing with Black Pool and Asphalt. First few uses OK, then it wrinkles mainly.
All other colors are OK and I never get any wrinkling/shrinking
i,m very furstrated..today 2 clients came in the salon(total 3 this week) that shellac pealed off.they didn't need to soak it at all!they just pealed it and was gone! i did them again for free and this time i was extremely careful with my application.i applied the base coat very thin and i didn't have shrinkage at all!maybe this had something to do with the peeling thing so i cross my fingers that this was the problem.i wait for my bulbs to arrive as well so if i continue to have more problems i don't know what else to do.
oh i forgot to mention that they were one week old and one of them told me that they pealed the 3rd day.another question.when something like that happens do you charge extra?i feel that i ought not to charge at all when they have problem before they reach the second week and of course they haven't been so tough with their hands.what do you all do?
I had the same problem with shrinking. Make sure you only cure the base coat for 10 seconds. Problem was solved! Shake all bottles really well before you apply. Make sure you are applying product really thin. You might need 3 coats with some colors
what happens if you cure more than 10 sec the base coat?
Hey after I do my manicure/ prep...I have them scrub with soap n water. Then I use a protein bonder and then the base coat--- very thinly. When I am using a dark color I always will only do 2 nails at a time then flash them. It always works with the shrinkage....it just obviously takes more time.
" Take time.....to be kind".....
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
Yep, I do the flash thing as well.

I got my clients into a rhythm with it. While I am reloading or swiping and prepping the brush for the next nail, they go into the light for 2-3 seconds to set the polish. Works great to prevent shrinkage issues.

If they get talking and forget, I just tap the lamp and they comply and just keep talking. Smile
(02-05-2012, 08:03 AM)tsita78 Wrote: what happens if you cure more than 10 sec the base coat?

The removing time will be longer, you will over cure the base coat, so it is important that you only give it 10 sek :-)
Shrinking is because the Shellac is to thick applied, use only thin layers every time, i have no problem with Fedora, Black pool ore others, are you all useing the CND UV lamp??
Charlotte

CND Grand Master
Yes I use the brisa lamp. Thank you for your help! I already seen improvement with your tips! I will let you know when they will return how long they lasted!
(02-09-2012, 08:50 AM)tsita78 Wrote: Yes I use the brisa lamp. Thank you for your help! I already seen improvement with your tips! I will let you know when they will return how long they lasted!

You are so welcome, it takes a little time to learn all about Shellac, but it is a fantastic product Shy
Charlotte

CND Grand Master
Another little tip I don't think was mentioned here, make sure the base coat is applied thin as well....if it's too thick the 10 second cure is not enough (IME)....makes the other layers shrink up and easier for the client to peel...it's thickness and lack of complete cure is the culprit! Big Grin I hope this helps! Smile
i followed your instructions and although i have no shrinking i still have customers coming with pealed nails in less than a week.not all of them but i have more coming in that usually.i'm still expecting for my bulbs to arrive to see if this is the case.does anyone know how can you tell if shellac is properly cured?
Have you considered taking the Masters class? I loved it and learned so much! Plus it put me in touch with the CND instructors who can watch what you are doing and problem shoot for you. I would really recommend it. It was a great class and gave me the confidence to know that the one problem client I had is her and not me...
i would love to take this class but there aren't many going on in my country and especially in my town.i live far away and it is not so easy to attend any Sad . my only information is what i get from this board and from internet in general.
Check Holly Schippers out on youtube her videos are under fingernailfixer. She has great tips and tricks and fun nail art with shellac. I took the Master Painter class and she was the educator and is awesome. That was the first edu class for nails i have ever taken and i plan on following and taking her next class in my area in the future.
Mitchele Sheree Hunt
CND Master Painter
http://mitchelesheree.blogspot.com/
i have seen all of her videos Smile . my last hope is to be the problem in the bulbs.let's hope and see otherwise i don't know what else to do..
Lay the Base Coat realy thin only give it 10 sek. evey layer must be put on very thin it will look semi sheer in the first layer, so don´t be temptet to lay it thiker, cure for 2 min. next layer again in color 2 min. and the top coat and cure for 2 min. REMEMBER important to seal every layer with Shellac with the base coat, the colors and the top coat :-)
Charlotte

CND Grand Master

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 6
Views: 3,012
05-01-2015, 07:02 AM
Last Postlexibunny
Replies: 3