You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LED Lamps vs traditional 36Watt UV
Question 
What's everyones take on this?? Good?? Bad?? Any life changing experiences?? LOL.. Just curious as I'm seeing more and more..but their prices..OUCH.. Pros/Cons peeps?? Thanks for any advice or input..Tongue
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Im hoping to buy one soon as they are lightning fast! But they are quite a hit to the wallet, right?
I would love to see the answer to this. I've looked at some cheaper ones on Amazon and was curious how well they worked. I don't know anyone in real life that uses LED, but I am looking to buy a lamp.
Brenda
Electrologist 30
Nail tech 3 years
Fairytale Nails (Bring on the bling)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brenda-Loc...1768602978
Last weeks Nail Talk Radio had Doug Schoon on and he talked a bit about the differences with LED-lots of good info, if you have not heard. I have listed the link below.

I personally don't see a need for LED. I honestly don't work so fast that I am always waiting for the light to be done, plus...there are a lot of systems that don't work with LED. Finally, they are disposable items-meaning you can not replace bulbs. The bulbs last longer, but once they are done, you have to get a whole new unit. I am hoping some day everyone will get together and create a single universal lamp that would work with every product in every situation. For that, I would pay the $300-$350 they are charging for LED. Just my 2 cents...

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/nailtalkrad...oug-schoon
I love my LeD lamp. So much faster! I bought the lightspeed lamp from premier nail supply at a great price.
I love my led light I have the Opi and gelish ,like the Opi better. 5 fingers .i can do my nails a lot faster ...I have tried a lot of my led color gel in them no problem I have some hard gel the gelish and lcn that works in both so I just do my with them to see if they will hold up so far so good ... I also can do my granddaughter ..4 years old... In no time . It does cut down on my time
I just got the new OPI LED lamp. I never felt the need to use a "faster" lamp till I started using OPI GelColor. Somehow some gel polishes apply faster then others.
I find OPI very fast to apply. I also use Shellac and although I love it- it is slower to apply it thin. I don't know how to explain it but you almost have to stretch the product and brush it over few times to get it even (especially when the product gets little thicker with use)
With Shellac it would take me 2 minutes to apply each coat (faster using light colors). Top coat also took me about 2 min (1 hand)

With OPI it takes me about 1 minute to apply the coat of base coat (on 1 hand), 1-1.5 min to apply the first coat of color and 1 minute for the second coat of color (lighter colors take less). Top coat is super fast and easy to apply, I would say about 40 sec.

Take a look at this video how quickly she applies the color:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFkuakbcdBY

So overall, I would say that the OPI lamp saves me about 8 minutes, not much but it adds up (I don't get how some say that you can do a manicure in 1/2 time because you use LED lamp).
Also I would normally spend about $66 on UV bulbs every 3 months (make it $120 actually because I used 2 UV lamps). In about 1 hear I will break even (the lamp here is about $550)
I got my gelish 18g LED lamp today. It is also a 5 finger cure. I LOVE this light. I was using the 9g LED which was great, but love the 5 finger cure. It is so fast. I have been using LED for a year now with Gelish. I can't even stress how nice it is. Even though I don' work quite that fast, at least I am never waiting for the light to go off. Literally, it is like just polishing a set of nails... That FAST!!! I HIGHLY reccommend the LED light for anyone who is considering it. Smile
I love nails!
The LED lamps are great is you work faster then the UV Lamps. You need to make sure that the product(s) you use have been formulated to cure in LED lamps. If they were formulated to LED, and you cure them using LED, the product may appear to be cured but it is not cured properly. You will be opening up your client and possibly yourself to overexposure issues, so be careful!

I am waiting on word on our new UV/LED combo lamp. It is due in the warehouse very soon. The pricing has been set at $200, the pictures I have seen show it as compact. I had a picture but can't find it right now so I have asked Elaine to send me a new one and a description and will post as soon as I get that.

Lorraine, webgirl
http://www.ManicuresThatLast.com
eco Soak Off UV Gel Polish No Solvents, Double the Size - Same Price!
Cinapro Nail Creations - New Art Kits!
http://www.ScentualSpaProducts.com
Cuccio Natural - Enhance the Spa Experience
Free Shipping on all orders over $75
I have both types of lamps. My LED did increase my service time by 15-20 min each client. It is true that LED bulbs cannot be replaced. Our LED lamp by Entity is rated for 50,000 hours. That's 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 24 years. I think by then, I'll be ready to pass my clients to my daughter and won't need a lamp.
LED is new technology. Your clients will always appreciate you when you stay up on the latest and greatest in our industry. It is my prediction that UV cured products will become obsolete within 10 years. UV is still used to cure our Entity One Gel System. However, we now endorse curing our UV Gel Top Coat for 30 seconds using LED lamps.
Not all LED lamps are created equal. Make sure you are only purchasing lamps made by reputable NAIL companies. It is true that you can be exposing your clients to possible reactions when not curing products properly. Be educated.
Tina Ciesla
Entity Artist
http://www.entitybeauty.com
Some girls are born with glitter in their veins!
(01-31-2012, 01:29 AM)ManicuresThatLast Wrote: The LED lamps are great is you work faster then the UV Lamps. You need to make sure that the product(s) you use have been formulated to cure in LED lamps. If they were formulated to LED, and you cure them using LED, the product may appear to be cured but it is not cured properly. You will be opening up your client and possibly yourself to overexposure issues, so be careful!

I am waiting on word on our new UV/LED combo lamp. It is due in the warehouse very soon. The pricing has been set at $200, the pictures I have seen show it as compact. I had a picture but can't find it right now so I have asked Elaine to send me a new one and a description and will post as soon as I get that.

I cannot wait for this unit. I neeeeeeeed it. Big Grin

(01-31-2012, 11:40 PM)TinaCiesla Wrote: I have both types of lamps. My LED did increase my service time by 15-20 min each client. It is true that LED bulbs cannot be replaced. Our LED lamp by Entity is rated for 50,000 hours. That's 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 24 years. I think by then, I'll be ready to pass my clients to my daughter and won't need a lamp.
LED is new technology. Your clients will always appreciate you when you stay up on the latest and greatest in our industry. It is my prediction that UV cured products will become obsolete within 10 years. UV is still used to cure our Entity One Gel System. However, we now endorse curing our UV Gel Top Coat for 30 seconds using LED lamps.
Not all LED lamps are created equal. Make sure you are only purchasing lamps made by reputable NAIL companies. It is true that you can be exposing your clients to possible reactions when not curing products properly. Be educated.
Tina Ciesla
Entity Artist

I'm not trying to be a smart A$$ but how can a lamp decrease the service by 20 minutes?
How long does it take you to apply and cure the product in UV lamp and how long does it take you to apply cure the product in LED lamp?
I'm not asking for the manicure time- just the time from the beginning of the application of the base top to finishing of the top coat.

it takes me about 18 minutes to apply (and cure both hands in 2 UV lamps) and about 7 minutes in LED lamp.
So I'm saving about 10 minutes.
To save 20 minutes the product would have to apply itself Wink
I am a shellac user and want to remain loyal to it. Yet, I feel as if we are being left behind technologically speaking with the uv vs. led issue.
Ive read on certain blogs that it can be cured with led, but this isnt backed by cnd so I haven't invested in led yet...for me, the service-time savings would be great.
I realize I could simply go and buy the OPI kit or gelish, but my clients love shellac and so do I.
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Jennifer
Acrylic & Gel Tech Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
(01-31-2012, 11:40 PM)TinaCiesla Wrote: I have both types of lamps. My LED did increase my service time by 15-20 min each client. It is true that LED bulbs cannot be replaced. Our LED lamp by Entity is rated for 50,000 hours. That's 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 24 years. I think by then, I'll be ready to pass my clients to my daughter and won't need a lamp.

Tina Ciesla
Entity Artist

Remember that this is a piece of electronic equipment with sensitive circuit boards. They go bad just like any other electronic device. Although some will last longer, others will be quite short on life and IF or WHEN they go bad, they are done. Keep your UV lamp as a backup.

Ellen Torchia
Owner Too Much Fun
President SB&S Graphics, Inc
Replicator Graphics

Former Top 10 Competitor

"A mind once stretched by the imagination never regains it's original form."
"I'm not trying to be a smart A$$ but how can a lamp decrease the service by 20 minutes?
How long does it take you to apply and cure the product in UV lamp and how long does it take you to apply cure the product in LED lamp?
I'm not asking for the manicure time- just the time from the beginning of the application of the base top to finishing of the top coat."

I don't think I've timed base-coat to top coat, but I do know that when I'm finished with a client, I have time actually eat lunch, take a break, catch up on phone messages, take out the trash, etc. That's really nice since I was always waiting on UV timers to finish. I'm off today, but tomorrow, i'll set my stopwatch and try to come up with an accurate time from base coat to top coat. I use lots of creative layers and nail art with my Gel Enamel. So, my time will not be base coat, 2 layers of color, then top coat.
Tina Ciesla
Entity Artist
Some girls are born with glitter in their veins!
Smile I have found the LED's are nice but there is not one that cures ALL gels-yet. My favorite is Protek It is the UV light Gelousy uses and charges 179 bucks. This lady will sell you the same lamp(she sells to Gelousy) for 87 (with bulbs) not the cheap ones either. Her name is Michelle text/or call 602-446-0202. Please just tell her Lisa from Montana sent you-not that i get anything I just want folks to know i stand behind them!
My two centsShy
Lisa
[email protected]
(02-01-2012, 01:08 AM)Air Art Girl Wrote:

Tina Ciesla
Entity Artist

Remember that this is a piece of electronic equipment with sensitive circuit boards. They go bad just like any other electronic device. Although some will last longer, others will be quite short on life and IF or WHEN they go bad, they are done. Keep your UV lamp as a backup.

So's your UV lamp! And remember that your UV bulbs are considerably more fragile than LEDs.
I just saw that Star Nail International has a dual lamp...it's at The Industry Source item 662900 for $250
(02-02-2012, 12:38 PM)NancySyd Wrote:
(02-01-2012, 01:08 AM)Air Art Girl Wrote:

Tina Ciesla
Entity Artist

So's your UV lamp! And remember that your UV bulbs are considerably more fragile than LEDs.

Good point! But, if a bulb goes out in a UV lamp you can replace it. Not the same with LED. All I am saying is if and when I go LED, I will be sure to have a UV backup.
Ellen Torchia
Owner Too Much Fun
President SB&S Graphics, Inc
Replicator Graphics

Former Top 10 Competitor

"A mind once stretched by the imagination never regains it's original form."
Just an FYI.........led lamps are still uv. Smile the diff. Is the style of lamp from which the uv rays are generated Smile

Denise
Denise Anderson
Attitudes
Salem, OR
I have heard the LED has an approx life span of 5 years. Its what I have read and economically it makes sense to own one if you think it will last 24 years, compared to the 5 I have read about, but not economical for the company to sell one that they say they will never have to replace again.
I will be waiting for my duo unit from manicuresthatlast
RE: LED Lamps vs traditional 36Watt UV
Lorraine wrote:

>The LED lamps are great is you work faster then the UV Lamps. You need to make sure that the product(s) you use have been formulated to cure in LED lamps. If they were formulated to LED, and you cure them using LED, the product may appear to be cured but it is not cured properly. You will be opening up your client and possibly yourself to overexposure issues, so be careful!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lorraine, webgirl
http://www.ManicuresThatLast.com

Hi Lorraine,

This UV/LED combo you are talking about will cure (ALL) LED polishes on the market? Or is it product specific, e.g. only Star Nail products?

Which LED brands have been tested with this lamp and what are the cure times?

Enhance
I'm still a student, but have used OPI Axxium with the OPI UV lamp and OPI gelcolor with the OPI LED lamp. I LOVE the LED with gelcolor. Yes, the lamp time saved is 20 minutes, but I also save a little time during application because the brush and consistency makes it easier to apply (with OPI, I'm not saying LED polish in general is easier to apply because haven't used other brands). I also love LED for art because designs don't get a chance to settle and blur. Zap! Done. Crisp as the second your brush left the nail. It's so fast, you'd probably have to use way too much product and walk away without curing for the stuff to get a chance to pool by the side walls. Other people don't seem to mind, but waiting for the UV was always painful for me. When I get out and buy my own gel system, whatever the brand, it will be LED.
Can anyone tell me about the led lights on eBay? I have seen them on there for $48 and one for $ 66. The description says 12w 126 lEd uv gel curing.
Thanks Tisha

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 0
Views: 1,072
11-11-2015, 05:40 PM
Last PostAni
Replies: 3
Views: 2,145