You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OPI Gel Color after 2 weeks. Pic*
Pompeii Purple is little difficult. I had some pulling from the free edge happening and it just went on little sheer.
What lights are you using? Have you used Passion in 2 coats. For these particular clients I used thin 3 coats for better coverage... maybe with more coats the discolouration is more visible?
PS. Bogota Blackberry, Big Apple Red, OPI Ink go on like a dream!
Are you buffing off the top coat first? How long are you leaving the foils on?
(01-25-2012, 03:31 PM)ColleenNY Wrote: Yes, I use Passion all the time for my French. No problems with it turning colors. I had a color from another line do the same thing in a UV light though. I wonder if it's a YV light issue?
I haven't used You Don't Know Jacques yet. I did use Pompeii Purple the other day and it didn't turn color, but was very fussy going on. Fought with that one for sure!

What "other brand" was it? I had the same thing happen (fading to a dirty beige) with Entity and Gelac. As you can tell on on the quest for beautiful milky, natural pink AKA "the clean look". Unfortunately i got the opposite Undecided
PS. Thanks for the help Colleen!

(01-25-2012, 10:59 PM)ColleenNY Wrote: Are you buffing off the top coat first? How long are you leaving the foils on?

Personally I don't buff and after 10-12 min the color just slides off. I don't even have to "help" it.
Maybe the other person had issues because she is mixing lines?

Oops that buffing question was meant for Jen. I think you posted as I was typing that reply to her. Sorry for the confusion.

The other line was Gelaxy maybe? I don't remember. I got it at the Premiere Orlando show. It was a line I'd never heard of but I liked their color selection. it was a beautiful red that turned ugly light brownish red on the UV light.

Have you tried OPI Bubble Bath for French? I just got it and I love it. I use only one coat but maybe 2 would give you the look you want?

Yeah I've heard that a few of the Gelish colors will turn.
(01-25-2012, 10:59 PM)ColleenNY Wrote: Are you buffing off the top coat first? How long are you leaving the foils on?

Ive never had to buff the shellac top coat. Its taking 15 minutes atleast to soak off where as shellac is taking less than 10. Im thinking of putting their hands in my heated mits hoping that will help
I have used Bubble Bath few times now. Lets hope that it doesn't change the color. I don't use it for french though, just 2 coats for that "clean" look.
I like how Passion is lightter though... still waiting for OPI to call me back Undecided

(01-26-2012, 09:55 AM)ColleenNY Wrote: Oops that buffing question was meant for Jen. I think you posted as I was typing that reply to her. Sorry for the confusion.

The other line was Gelaxy maybe? I don't remember. I got it at the Premiere Orlando show. It was a line I'd never heard of but I liked their color selection. it was a beautiful red that turned ugly light brownish red on the UV light.

Have you tried OPI Bubble Bath for French? I just got it and I love it. I use only one coat but maybe 2 would give you the look you want?

Yeah I've heard that a few of the Gelish colors will turn.

I don't buff the shine off OPI GelColor either and it comes off in 10-12 min. Very clean, pretty much all pieces stay behind in the cotton/foil.
Try using OPI base, maybe it will come off better for you...?

Also make sure that the color application is not too thick. I used 3 coats once and it took 15 min to come off.
But becuase it comes off so clean you are saving time because you don't have to "clean" the nails/scrape the wet polish off.

(01-26-2012, 01:12 PM)jennie Wrote:

Ive never had to buff the shellac top coat. Its taking 15 minutes atleast to soak off where as shellac is taking less than 10. Im thinking of putting their hands in my heated mits hoping that will help

I couldn't get the stuff off either. I even started to panic a bit. Also my clients had more chipping and breaking. I am using the CND light for 2 min. I wonder if it over cures the OPI??
Quote:Ive never had to buff the shellac top coat. Its taking 15 minutes atleast to soak off where as shellac is taking less than 10. Im thinking of putting their hands in my heated mits hoping that will help

No, you wouldn't cuz Shellac was made so that you don't have to buff the top coat first. I'm not saying you HAVE to because Anna says she has luck not buffing, but if you ARE having trouble maybe try buffing the top coat first.

I don't know why some have issues with it and some don't.
(01-26-2012, 04:34 PM)ColleenNY Wrote:
Quote:Ive never had to buff the shellac top coat. Its taking 15 minutes atleast to soak off where as shellac is taking less than 10. Im thinking of putting their hands in my heated mits hoping that will help

No, you wouldn't cuz Shellac was made so that you don't have to buff the top coat first. I'm not saying you HAVE to because Anna says she has luck not buffing, but if you ARE having trouble maybe try buffing the top coat first.

I don't know why some have issues with it and some don't.

You think it could be because maybe some people apply it thicker? I see people coming from other salons sometimes with Shellac or Gelish applied much thicker then I apply it.... Then it does take longer to soak it off

They look good, thanks for the info.
I agree Anna! And sometimes other shops use a primer which makes it almost impossible. Sad
(01-26-2012, 10:01 PM)ColleenNY Wrote: I agree Anna! And sometimes other shops use a primer which makes it almost impossible. Sad

AAAAA!!! Good point! Never thought of that!

I just did Pompeii purple on myself last night and it took 3 coats and it still wanted to pool away from the free edge and cuticle area. I definitely feel that Shellac has a better consistency and doesn't streak and two coats is all I have ever needed. I am very meticulous about base coat application but I still can't seem to get the free edge colored! Any advice or input?
(01-31-2012, 11:58 AM)somethinsweet Wrote: I just did Pompeii purple on myself last night and it took 3 coats and it still wanted to pool away from the free edge and cuticle area. I definitely feel that Shellac has a better consistency and doesn't streak and two coats is all I have ever needed. I am very meticulous about base coat application but I still can't seem to get the free edge colored! Any advice or input?

Are you curing it in OPI LED lamp? I just started using the LED lamp and the colors "feel" better applied over a base coat cured in LED. I will post more once I use the lamp more.... I might be imagining things...
Another color that I don't like (the application- color itself is lovely) is Brisbane Bronze....

I only picked up Lincoln Park After Dark to test out. I didn't find that I had any pooling or free edge shrinkage. One coat was plenty pigmented and not streaky. I applied two coats. I hope this pic shows up here. http://instagr.am/p/mSWJl/
Big Grin
(01-31-2012, 04:02 PM)Anna Lajourdie, Toronto Wrote:
(01-31-2012, 11:58 AM)somethinsweet Wrote: I just did Pompeii purple on myself last night and it took 3 coats and it still wanted to pool away from the free edge and cuticle area. I definitely feel that Shellac has a better consistency and doesn't streak and two coats is all I have ever needed. I am very meticulous about base coat application but I still can't seem to get the free edge colored! Any advice or input?

Are you curing it in OPI LED lamp? I just started using the LED lamp and the colors "feel" better applied over a base coat cured in LED. I will post more once I use the lamp more.... I might be imagining things...
Another color that I don't like (the application- color itself i

I am using the Shellac light since we have three if them. I am doing the 1/2/3 timing which is what was suggested with this light. I did Louvre me Louvre me not and had the same issue..... needed 3 coats. So maybe it is in fact more effective with the LED light even though quite a few have posted that they do fine with a UV. I just don't see myself spending 399 on the LED. I'll keep on trying and see what happens. I might try with shellac base/top and see how that works
I forgot to add the I used my LE lamp to cure.
(01-31-2012, 05:16 PM)somethinsweet Wrote: Big Grin
(01-31-2012, 04:02 PM)Anna Lajourdie, Toronto Wrote:

Another color that I don't like (the application- color itself i

I am using the Shellac light since we have three if them. I am doing the 1/2/3 timing which is what was suggested with this light. I did Louvre me Louvre me not and had the same issue..... needed 3 coats. So maybe it is in fact more effective with the LED light even though quite a few have posted that they do fine with a UV. I just don't see myself spending 399 on the LED. I'll keep on trying and see what happens. I might try with shellac base/top and see how that works

Well, over here it;s $499 plus 13% tax :o

Quote:I just did Pompeii purple on myself last night and it took 3 coats and it still wanted to pool away from the free edge and cuticle area. I definitely feel that Shellac has a better consistency and doesn't streak and two coats is all I have ever needed. I am very meticulous about base coat application but I still can't seem to get the free edge colored! Any advice or input?

I had a horrible time with Pompeii Purple too. It's not an easy color to work with at all. I havent tried Lourve Me ...yet.
To each their own though. I'm sticking with OPI and Gelish. Never liked Shellac much.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 0
Views: 1,275
03-12-2015, 10:22 AM
Last PostFileFileSnipSnip
Replies: 1
Views: 1,468
03-11-2015, 07:05 AM