You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Money saving tips
Our overhead is so high with having to have supplies for pedicures, manicures, enhancements and now gel polishes, I would like to hear of any money saving tips people would have.
Certified Master Pedicurist
Licensed Nail Tech
For pedis, I get single serve condiment containers from Sam's Club and put in enough scrub and lotion for each service. That way I'm controlling how much is used for each procedure rather than just squirting it out into my hand. I'm also able to open the tube and scrape out ALL the product and not waste even a teeny bit! I'm able to get lots more pedis from each tube now. I save much more than the cost of the cups and lids.

Plus, it's much more sanitary because I'm not touching the tube with contaminated hands!

I also use gloves during a pedi for a variety of reasons but one of them is so the lotion and scrub do not get absorbed into my hands. I can use a smaller amount because it's all used by the client.
(01-16-2012, 11:10 PM)harmonysky Wrote: For pedis, I get single serve condiment containers from Sam's Club and put in enough scrub and lotion for each service. That way I'm controlling how much is used for each procedure rather than just squirting it out into my hand. I'm also able to open the tube and scrape out ALL the product and not waste even a teeny bit! I'm able to get lots more pedis from each tube now. I save much more than the cost of the cups and lids.

Plus, it's much more sanitary because I'm not touching the tube with contaminated hands!

I also use gloves during a pedi for a variety of reasons but one of them is so the lotion and scrub do not get absorbed into my hands. I can use a smaller amount because it's all used by the client.

I do the same because my school did this!!
I also use the the serving cups and wear gloves - so those are good ones.

-Try to find your supplies through alternative sources, both for supplies and equipment - having the word "salon" attached to our products seems to double the price! I get my nail wipes by the case of 5000 for about $23 vs. paying $3 for a pkg of 200. 5000 lasts a long time, but that's a $52 savings right there. I use Pearson Dental. I also buy patient bibs from them, which I lay over my towel when I'm filing acrylics or gels - this protects my salon towel, and allows me to fold over the bib to hide the dust.

-sign up with a variety of online vendors, then try to hold your orders until you get a special offer via email

-be sure you're only using the proper amount of products during services (that applies to acrylic/gel and also glitters in addition to the lotions)

-look for tools that are truly legal to sanitize & re-use - I just ordered some nickel files from RAM products for $4 that I'm hoping will replace the disposables that I've been using for gel manicures & pedicures. Those have been costing me 27 cents per service, so I'm really hoping I'll love the new files!

-if you use an e-file, try the YN fine cross-cut bit for the natural nail prep instead of sanding bands, you'll cut that cost by about 5 cents per service depending on what you pay for sanding bands.

-watch manufacturer sales - Cuccio always has a good promo page that makes their prices for pedi products (and retail) very good - YN has their protein bond on special for BOBO free - I try to buy 6-12 months worth of a given product when it's a screaming deal, and that really helps a lot

Most of these ideas will generate small per service savings, but if I find something that saves me 3 cents and works just as well I'll do it! I have probably cut my product/supply/tool cost by close to 40% from where I first started, and I'm still using quality items that my clients love.
I can't figure out how to edit my previous post, but wanted to add: make sure that you find out the free shipping minimums for every vendor and never order less than that amount. If your vendor doesn't offer free shipping, find one who will and give them your business.
YN is free at $50
RAM $100
Beauty West $100, etc
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
Candice-

"I get my nail wipes by the case of 5000 for about $23 vs. paying $3 for a pkg of 200. 5000 lasts a long time, but that's a $52 savings right there."

Which are the ones you get on the Pearson site?

Thanks!

I second what Harmonsky says! I want to know too! Can you post a link, please?
(01-17-2012, 10:13 AM)Donna in Huntsville, TX. Wrote: I second what Harmonsky says! I want to know too! Can you post a link, please?

A12-5000

Pearson Dental non-woven sponges
Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
Thanks for all the hints. I'll definitely look into the nail wipes, that was one thing I was wondering how to save money on since we go through so many!!!
Certified Master Pedicurist
Licensed Nail Tech
Yep, those are the ones! & that's where I first found out about them, from PrecisionNails.

Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
Are those nail wipes from Pearson Dental "lint free"?

I also buy patient bibs from them, which I lay over my towel when I'm filing acrylics or gels - this protects my salon towel, and allows me to fold over the bib to hide the dust.

Could you tell me which bibs you used for that? are they like a paper towel so you can use to wipe your liquid/brush on ??
Darlene
(01-17-2012, 11:03 PM)Chatta68 Wrote: I also buy patient bibs from them, which I lay over my towel when I'm filing acrylics or gels - this protects my salon towel, and allows me to fold over the bib to hide the dust.

Could you tell me which bibs you used for that? are they like a paper towel so you can use to wipe your liquid/brush on ??

No, the patient bibs are the same ones that the dentist uses, plastic backed so nothing leaks through. Any of the bibs will work, I switch colors each time I order lol. I still use cut up Soft Landings towels for wiping my brush, one towel at 17 cents can be cut down to a dozen pieces, so it's very inexpensive.

I just like the bibs for controlling the mess (clients love that) - I start with it open over my towel - do the initial filing to shorten nails, remove gel polish, art, whatever, then fold it in half (take the edge closer to you, fold it over the far edge) and that hides the initial dust. Then when you're done with the finish filing pick up the bib and toss it - 90% of the dust will now be off your table.

Keep in mind that I use the Salon Pure Air for dust collection, so most of the dust gets sucked up, but this takes care of the rest.
Yes, the wipes are lint free. They are exactly the same as the wipes that you can get from YN or other suppliers.

I forgot to say - I uses to use the soft landings towels in the way that I now use the patient bibs (that's how they show you to use them) - but at 17 cents vs 4 cents for the patient bibs... again, saving pennies on many things in a service really adds up!
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
(01-18-2012, 11:41 AM)CandiceAE Wrote: [quote='Chatta68' pid='14921' dateline='1326855814']

I forgot to say - I uses to use the soft landings towels in the way that I now use the patient bibs (that's how they show you to use them) - but at 17 cents vs 4 cents for the patient bibs... again, saving pennies on many things in a service really adds up!

Were you buying these in bulk and getting a discount? @ 19.95 and 75 per pkg. they are .26 each.

Anna
Here are some basic tips:

Buy Larger Sizes:
Buying larger sizes will drastically reduce your cost per service and increase your profits. For example, Attraction Nail Powder’s cost per service drops over 50% when you purchase the 700 g (24.7 Oz.) size over the 40g (1.42 Oz.) size.

Maximize Product Shelf-Life:
Store all products in a cool, dark place. By doing this, you will maintain the integrity of the product to achieve the best results during the entire life of the product.

Pay Attention to Special Deals:
Manufacturers and suppliers often offer great deals. A salon should always take advantage of these deals and stock up when the prices are low. Many companies run their deals on a regular schedule. NSI has bi-monthly salon specials. Learn the promo schedule of your supplier or manufacturer and you’ll never miss out on a great deal!
Jessie Burkhardt
Director of Marketing & Communications
NSI - Advanced Products. Professionally Preferred.
http://www.nsinails.com
(01-18-2012, 12:50 PM)Nail Raising Wrote: Were you buying these in bulk and getting a discount? @ 19.95 and 75 per pkg. they are .26 each.

I get mine through Tracey with YN - when I bought them last I paid $17 for 100, so 17 cents... Maybe they were a different brand? They look the same. I haven't had to buy any for a while, so maybe they've gone up... in any case, at 26 cents I would definitely be looking for a better option! The way I use mine, that would still only be about .02/svc since I cut them into about 12 pieces and that works fine for wiping my brush.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
I only take cash or check this saves on huge creditcard and debitcard fees. I tell every person on the phone to remind them. I do work with in 2 block of 6 major banks and over 15 atms though
How many towels do you all use in a mani service? a pedi service?
Is your table towel the same as your other towels?

Thank you...
Anna
(01-23-2012, 02:21 PM)Nail Raising Wrote: How many towels do you all use in a mani service? a pedi service?
Is your table towel the same as your other towels?

Thank you...

I use 3 towels for a mani - one table towel and two smaller towels that I wrap their hands in with the lotion.

For Regular pedi I use 4 table towels and one small towel - 1 on the head rest, one under their feet, 2 on the foot rest (I remove the top one after callus smoothing), and the small towel(from the towel warmer) to clean the feet after callus smoothing

For a spa pedi I use 1 more small towel to wipe the feet after the scrub
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
If you register as a professional on my newly redesigned website, you'll have access to all my product recommendations, with item numbers and company contact info.
Precision Nails

Just scroll to the bottom of the home page.
Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
Wow! The tips here were really useful. Thanks for all the tips Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 3
Views: 1,590
07-04-2015, 07:15 PM